IGNORED

Anyone got info / pics on the bank?

Consequences

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuck... should have been preserved as a historical landmark.

have you been there jy?

Nope - never been overseas to the UK, actually.

I did know the bank's address years ago... was actually the reason Richard got in touch with me to begin with in early 2001 - some fool posted a Yahoo Maps (or MapQuest) map to 98 Stoke Newington on the joyrex.com forums... Richard kindly asked me to remove it and the rest is history.

have you been there jy?

Nope - never been overseas to the UK, actually.

I did know the bank's address years ago... was actually the reason Richard got in touch with me to begin with in early 2001 - some fool posted a Yahoo Maps (or MapQuest) map to 98 Stoke Newington on the joyrex.com forums... Richard kindly asked me to remove it and the rest is history.

why did you ban him? xD

Shouldn't joyrex.com also be preserved as some sort of historical digital landmark?

I would love to get it back, but the domain squatter that owns it last I checked wanted 1000.00 USD or more for it...

• 5 months later...

I agree, some interesting points from the council meeting:

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s23297/Newington%20Causeway%20Report.pdf

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Site location and description 

6..."The site is currently occupied by a 4 storey building, originally built for banking purposes, though more recently converted to a residential use. It dates to the early twentieth century, is not listed, nor is it of significant value given it does not form part of a historical grouping of buildings."....

Wish someone had taken the opportunity to register it in the heritage listing! Architecturally it its quite a beautiful building. 

Sadly the architecture company involved in the new deign scheme had no idea of the cultural significance of this building.

Planning history

13. "There is no relevant formal planning history for the site. The site was bought by the current owner in March 2006 who advises that at the point of sale the property appeared to have been unlawfully occupied for some time as a dwelling or dwellings, though the use was never regularised and the site is now vacant. Therefore, historically the site had a lawful A2 (Bank) use. The existing floorspace is 490sq.m over 4 floors (or 122.5sq.m per floor) with upper floors as ancillary B1 office space (367.5sq.m)."

Unlawful occupation of the building... 

Would be interesting to dig up the original floor plans, they would be in a public registry somewhere in London I imagine.

50 "Ministry of Sound, Gaunt Street: In the course of consideration of this application several submissions have been made objecting to the development."

looks as though Ministry of Sound fiercely objected to the new proposal

the first time i went to london, back in 2006, i went to gaunt street searching for afx's bank. why gaunt street? because it was the closest to where i figured afx was living at, at that time. little did i know the right building was right at the corner, right under my nose. 

#creepystalkinganecdotes

the first time i went to london, back in 2006, i went to gaunt street searching for afx's bank. why gaunt street? because it was the closest to where i figured afx was living at, at that time. little did i know the right building was right at the corner, right under my nose. 

#creepystalkinganecdotes

Ha, excellent! I would love if Richard published a book on his photography stuff - interesting to see and read about the stories behind some of his more notable photos...

BTW, the address (since he's long since moved from there) was 98 Stoke Newington - I don't think the bank itself exists at that address anymore...

Archived