IGNORED

nine inch nails - quake - vinyl pressing

Yeah I would love to have this, having been fourteen when Quake was released, loving the music, playing it during deathmatches at LANs, using it when game mastering our role playing sessions etc :) Perfect nostalgia piece!

I don't know if I can think of any other game where the soundtrack makes up so much of the atmosphere, it's a must have when playing the game if you want to immerse yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I was really into NIN when Quake came out but somehow I completely missed the boat on the game/soundtrack. My computer was probably too shitty at the time to run it or something. The main theme at that link isn't really doing anything for me, maybe this is more of a nostalgia thing?

Hmm, I was really into NIN when Quake came out but somehow I completely missed the boat on the game/soundtrack. My computer was probably too shitty at the time to run it or something. The main theme at that link isn't really doing anything for me, maybe this is more of a nostalgia thing?

It's not a nostalgia thing for me, I still rate amongst the best ambient pieces I've personally heard. Played through a decent system, it sounds great (and by decent system, I mean not smartphone/laptop speakers)

It's not a nostalgia thing for me, I still rate amongst the best ambient pieces I've personally heard. Played through a decent system, it sounds great (and by decent system, I mean not smartphone/laptop speakers)

Yeah I still listen to it quite frequently too, definite SAW II vibes on many of the tracks (in fact my my play-thoughs of Quake in the late 90s were pretty much a 50-50 split with SAW II audio CD inserted or the Quake OST.)

sweepstakes: The rest of the soundtrack is more like that preview track from around 2mins onwards - The opening couple of minutes is more a punch in the face to shut you up before settling down for the bulk of the dark menacing ambienty noises

Yeah I still listen to it quite frequently too, definite SAW II vibes on many of the tracks (in fact my my play-thoughs of Quake in the late 90s were pretty much a 50-50 split with SAW II audio CD inserted or the Quake OST.)

It's so textural, it's great. Shame he doesn't do stuff so gritty and textured anymore

sweepstakes: The rest of the soundtrack is more like that preview track from around 2mins onwards - The opening couple of minutes is more a punch in the face to shut you up before settling down for the bulk of the dark menacing ambienty noises

lol as a 14 year old super into NIN (and buying the full CD version after two years of playing only the pirated version) I loved that intro track but then was like "what the hell is this?" at the ambient tracks. I love the whole thing now though; I remember there was a point where it just clicked and I found myself trying to replicate the sound (in FT2 lol). 

Slightly off-topic from NIN—I'd love to see reissues of the q2/q3 soundtracks as well; I love that Sonic Mayhem and FLA stuff. q2 was such a riff fest!

The last NIN release that really did much for me, and honestly probably my favorite.  All the stuff he's best at without the cheesiest elements (guitar riffs, cartoonishly angsty vocals, and often bland beats, with the exceptions of the couple classic releases that tie it all together well).  To be fair, I haven't really listened to The Fragile much because I wasn't really listening to NIN in general by the time it came out, and by most accounts it's very good, I just haven't heard it enough to form an opinion.  But in general, Quake OST is the one that holds up the best for me, even more than Downward Spiral.

Might have to pick this up.

That said, back in the Quake deathmatch days (more often than not playing against bots because of my shitty dialup connection, sad to say) I'd usually put on Man Machine era Kraftwerk.  Unreal Tournament, too.

• 3 years later...

I was just wondering about this a couple weeks ago.

I made $50 unexpectedly yesterday for doing some quick drilling and filing on a friend's eurorack case, and that was supposed to go toward another Raspberry Pi but now I don't know...

I just picked up a side job this week alphabetizing and doing online listings of the budget ($5 and under) records for a friend's shop from home on the weekends, maybe I can get him to order a copy wholesale and then knock it off of my first paycheck (except I'm guessing they don't do wholesale pricing for shops anymore, at least not for something like this).

I played Quake a lot back in the day but I don't think I've ever heard the soundtrack because I only played the pirated version, oops. For a while I was wondering why people were praising the soundtrack because I didn't hear any music, but it was just because I was missing the CD that had the audio tracks..

Archived