IGNORED

People that listen to "challenging" music

Auditor

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

murican's sat scores correlate highly to general intelligence:

MusicthatmakesyoudumbLarge.png

I think that says more about the intelligence of the maker(s?) of the chart than the listeners.

Also: tenor.gif

I hate the idea of certain composers being geniuses or certain genres being more clever. it's all unintelligible noise until a brain is there to interpret it.. I also find it very fascinating how people seem to respect experimental music more than conceptual art. Unless you're making some elaborate tone system a là Messiaen there's often an equal sense of aimlessness to it

On some days I like abrasive shit, though I prefer unique orchestration like Hosokawa or Saariaho to electronic noise stylings. On other days I have a soft spot for sappy 90's pop and want something to sing along to. I had a Lil Wayne phase once, fuck that IQ chart, Carter III has some serious jams. Music culture is all about context and identity, what you do, who you are with. to consume music purely on its own merits because you like sounds, without trying to express something, is kinda rare and likely means you were one of the weird kids in school. Gooble gobble...

Most people have an animalistic response to music. Some don't.

Some people want to hear zippy zap bleep bloops and others want to focus on the overall concept (and in the context it's delivered).

Personally, I haven't listened to "challenging" music in forever, because it feels more like a homework assignment. I've studied the greats in experimental music and am pretty tired of it. Ends up sounding like a mish mash of half ideas and trying to be cute with how the composition is performed. I find it boring because I can hear like 13 seconds of it and already know what's going to happen.

With that said, I still throw in weird atonal shit into my tunes these days.

Just popping in to second this.

Most "experimental" music from the last 30 years or so is really safe and conservative.

nXjJ0SN.gif

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewers head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existential catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pitythem.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Rick & Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Lmfao

Interesting thread.. "challenging" music is subjective though. I think its more about finding something new different & exciting than challenging

For me this started with that "what the fuck is this" feeling from 90's gabber and hardcore techno and been chasing that same feeling ever since. But this can come from anything really pop, grime, dubstep, footwork, drone...doesn't have to be complicated or cerebral to give me that buzz

And guess most people here are the same we are just always looking for new intetesting shit when your "average" music listener isn't really bothered about that....nothing more to it than that imo

Complextro is obviously the most challenging of all, it wasn't given that name without reason.

Complextro is obviously the most challenging of all, it wasn't given that name without reason.

I liked complextro until all that complexbro stuff came out and ruined it

Most people have an animalistic response to music. Some don't.

Some people want to hear zippy zap bleep bloops and others want to focus on the overall concept (and in the context it's delivered).

Personally, I haven't listened to "challenging" music in forever, because it feels more like a homework assignment. I've studied the greats in experimental music and am pretty tired of it. Ends up sounding like a mish mash of half ideas and trying to be cute with how the composition is performed. I find it boring because I can hear like 13 seconds of it and already know what's going to happen.

With that said, I still throw in weird atonal shit into my tunes these days.

Just popping in to second this.

Most "experimental" music from the last 30 years or so is really safe and conservative.

it's weird to see it used as descriptor in music reviews - especially reviews of stuff like pop or indie rock that's just barely getting weird or unusual or unique - it's often cited like it's a certain sound trait rather than an ethos

Interesting thread.. "challenging" music is subjective though. I think its more about finding something new different & exciting than challenging

For me this started with that "what the fuck is this" feeling from 90's gabber and hardcore techno and been chasing that same feeling ever since. But this can come from anything really pop, grime, dubstep, footwork, drone...doesn't have to be complicated or cerebral to give me that buzz

And guess most people here are the same we are just always looking for new intetesting shit when your "average" music listener isn't really bothered about that....nothing more to it than that imo

good point

sometimes I think about how much excitement and curiosity was spurred from some of the first electronic music I heard when I had no idea about any of it - stuff like the Chemical Brothers 

it's a strange time now because there are people very new to underground or non-mainstream music who have this "major" artists they can stumble into - i.e. people who will recommend Basinski as excellent drone but literally could not name 2 or 3 more drone ambient artists or albums beyond disintegration loops. I suppose it's kind of like the kids I knew in high school who would wax poetic about Tool or Radiohead but know very little else

What is Complextro? Anyone got some recs?

very wanky ADHD house music that had its 15 minutes about a decade ago and now is insufferable ad music

Good lord

So like Pantyraid and all that shit, eh?

I feel like "complextro" is like the EDM equivalent of "drill n' bass" - someone coined it hoping it would take off as a catch-all genre term but it languished instead as a odd footnote.

So like we're all enigmas because we are not complete beings, and if we were we would all understand/appreciate the complexity in everything? 

Artificial intelligence can now read out innermost complexities and soul DNA. It produces a comprehensive report on what genre of music represents your true self. Take the test if you dare.

Archived