IGNORED

People that listen to "challenging" music

Auditor

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what is th moment when unchallenging music becomes challenging? 

i am challenged by bad music does that count :) but obviously that is

not what you are on about auditor. please, if i hear someone say tht

there is no actual bad music, and tht it is all personal opinion i will

squirm worm.. phoaminmymouth.

fuck! bad music exists! it is not a tinhatconspiracy. it is th real! 

What about people who perform sexual intercourse to 'challenging' music?

Son: "Dad, why is my name BBBVvvvvvvvvVSHHSHHHZHZHZHZHHZZKKkkkkskskskskzkzxxkxjzzxxxzzzczvzvzvzvzvzvz!!!!?"

Dad: "You were conceived while your mother and I were blasting Sunn O)))'s dark, brooding masterpiece, Monoliths And Dimensions."

Son: "Dad, why is my name BBBVvvvvvvvvVSHHSHHHZHZHZHZHHZZKKkkkkskskskskzkzxxkxjzzxxxzzzczvzvzvzvzvzvz!!!!?"

Dad: "You were conceived while your mother and I were blasting Sunn O)))'s dark, brooding masterpiece, Monoliths And Dimensions."

I did the sex to dawn chorus once... or maybe it was aquarius? One of those two. it was a boc song anyway.

It was strange.

Edit: I mean, not that those are "challenging". I'm not sure why I'm writing this, srry.

fuck yeah, this was not easy to find lads:

"Hey babe, today we are going to make love to the sounds of Gantz Graf"

Girl: "Oh cool, is he like the new Marvin Gayes"

"You'll see'

gallery_126_10_31871.jpg

----

WallJdestroyed_room.jpg

for ptsd, when specific very bad days are lived @ a near constant level of "red line" distortion & where volume itself is a major issue, acts like the Hafler Trio create a manageable audio interface where there isnt another process that exists to alleviate certain symptoms & exorcise them - the knottier the better plus there's a vast spectrum of music too long to list that works similar wonders

total immersion in such sound worlds keeps an army of demonic attack dogs at bay, or at least on a lead, where you can create a degree of control without recourse to problematic/addictive tranquilizers

similarly, on other days it can be the complete opposite, eg: The Jerry Garcia Band's soundboard recordings where they lay on twelfty-five minute groovathons filled with lead guitar runs & Ronnie Tutt's uniquely magical percussion fills......soothing is an understatement

moods & grooves innit cos challenging for the sake of it is just style (or lack of it) over substance

I've made sweet sweet love to the sound of Ventolin. Does that count?

i've had years of conditioning that have allowed me to

appreciate 'challenging' musics. we must have compassion

for those who have not been so fortunate (or not). i feel,

as with anything, it takes time to appreciate something that

is slightly uncommon. many might even be ridiculed, or

ostracized from society. we must all sacrifice. it is up to

each individual to ask him or her self if the sacrifice is

worth taking..

your reward is your own..

It seems to me that there are more or less 2 types of people that listen to so called "challenging" music (whether that be electronic, "art" music, noise, or what-have-you): people like me, who have no former musical training and who's tastes developed gradually from a general sense of rebellion against all norms, which lead to going to punk shows and talking to record store workers about underground music (or scrounging around the internet these days I guess, I don't know I grew up the early 90's).

And then there are people who majored in music or composition, where they teach you about 20th century "art" music and you pretty much can't graduate without composing atonal thingies. These folks have their ears "primed" for challenging music, sometimes from a very early age and usually on mainly acoustic works.

Then, there is everyone else that listens pretty exclusively to popular music. It seems to me that they simply don't have the curiosity to explore other stuff, or maybe the patience to sit with a piece that isn't immediately catchy.

So, like, what's wrong with the third category? Without sounding like Hitler - do their brains have some sort of deficit?

or what's wrong with us?

What a loser.

^It does.

AC/DC higher than Doors, Beethoven is highest but "classical" is lower than Ludacris.

It's completely arbitrary. There are academics who hardly listen to music, there are people who are music savants who didn't take the SAT let alone go to college. 

It seems to me that there are more or less 2 types of people that listen to so called "challenging" music (whether that be electronic, "art" music, noise, or what-have-you): people like me, who have no former musical training and who's tastes developed gradually from a general sense of rebellion against all norms, which lead to going to punk shows and talking to record store workers about underground music (or scrounging around the internet these days I guess, I don't know I grew up the early 90's).

And then there are people who majored in music or composition, where they teach you about 20th century "art" music and you pretty much can't graduate without composing atonal thingies. These folks have their ears "primed" for challenging music, sometimes from a very early age and usually on mainly acoustic works.

Then, there is everyone else that listens pretty exclusively to popular music. It seems to me that they simply don't have the curiosity to explore other stuff, or maybe the patience to sit with a piece that isn't immediately catchy.

So, like, what's wrong with the third category? Without sounding like Hitler - do their brains have some sort of deficit?

or what's wrong with us?

What a loser.

are u like richie bees but with hats

If the question is whether there is something wrong with people listening to challenging music... well, that Merzbow fella doesn't look particularly healthy, does he? He should consider going to the beach more often. Even though that would be a 'popular' thing to do. Instead of enjoying the discomfort of listening to noise in some dark basement. He might want to actually challenge himself by going out in the sun listening to pop.

Music is 100% subjective

that would mean that every one of us has a perception that's 100% different from everybody's else?

do you mean in taste? ...like/don't like?

Music is 100% subjective

that would mean that every one of us has a perception that's 100% different from everybody's else?

Both. Different sounds make different people feel different

Music is 100% subjective

Both. Different sounds make different people feel different

No shit? But 100% different doesnt make sense imo

https://youtu.be/4ZlC-7KaZk0

Archived