IGNORED

Your pointless thoughts & observations

Plum

if you watch Michael Moore's very recent "Fahrenheit 11/9" you get a very similar story to Polanski's (fictional) Chinatown - everything from the water supply of Flint, Michigan being exploited for political/financial gain and harming millions of people in the process, to the corruption deeply embedded in all levels of US politics, even going as far as to suggest an incestuous relationship between Trump and his own daughter.

if Chinatown is real, i have no doubt that Salo and A Serbian Film are also completely real, most likely with Mexican kids.

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

I was planning a trip for when this pandemic is over and came across this place on the map. What the hell is going on here? It looks like an asteroid scraped Earth a bit.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir///@46.011812,47.4845238,102448m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e3!5m1!1e1

• Farnsworth 1

4 hours ago, Dragon said:

...Polanski's (fictional) Chinatown - everything from the water supply of Flint, Michigan being exploited for political/financial gain and harming millions of people in the process, to the corruption deeply embedded in all levels of US politics, even going as far as to suggest an incestuous relationship between Trump and his own daughter.

if Chinatown is real, i have no doubt that Salo and A Serbian Film are also completely real, most likely with Mexican kids.

corrupt leaders are as old as human society. I bet there's not a single country in the world that has immaculate "elites". (i hate this word, btw, there's not a single person in power that is elite in a true sense of the word) power corrupts. people that have power will do everything possible to hold on to it. they regard their status as a license to all sorts of privileges imaginable.

11 minutes ago, zero said:

the same could be said for all of Russia

I understand the sentiment, but Russia really is such a huge place that you are bound to find all sorts of werid shit.

Like that area is in Kalmykia, which is a republic within the Russian Federation. It's the only Buddhist majority state in Europe and their native language is a Mongolic language called Kalmyk, although most people now speak Russian.

Also chess is really big in Kalmykia and it's compulsory in all primary schools there. Check this:

In the late 1990s, the Ilyumzhinov government was alleged to be spending too much government money on chess-related projects. The allegations were published in Sovietskaya Kalmykia, the opposition newspaper in Elista. Larisa Yudina, the journalist who investigated these accusations, was kidnapped and murdered in 1998.

Can you imagine somebody getting murdered when investigating government spending on chess?

7 minutes ago, zkom said:

I understand the sentiment, but Russia really is such a huge place that you are bound to find all sorts of werid shit.

for sure. I've been to the Krasnodar region, to some of the black sea towns (Anapa / Novorossiysk / Gelendzhik) and can verify plenty of wtf things going on. 

The Shure SM-58 is legendary for its durability, but the capsule might as well be fine china.

Gets dented just by looking at it.

I don't know what the phenomenon is called in which old tools, consumer products, etc become decorative pieces? Like somebody might use an old mechanical typewriter or tube radio as an ornament. And it seems to happen some years after the item has become obsolete. For example now you can buy ornaments that look like rotary dial landline phones but are not actually functional.

Anyway, I started to think is there some piece of obsolete or old fashioned technology that isn't going to have that happening? And maybe the 80s-early 2000s beige box computers? Did anyone ever think they actually look good? F.e. can you imagine this being used for decoration without at least some kind of repaint or similar? It's just so incredibly boring looking. I've seen corrugated cardboard boxes that are more interesting to look at.

IMG_4862_zps7a36c8e6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Burger 1

I heard somewhere that sugar mixed with water is supposed to help stop hiccups. Well sure enough last night after going for about 20 min, I dumped about a teaspoon of pure cane sugar directly onto my tongue and gulped it down with water. Hiccups stopped immediately after that.

9 hours ago, zkom said:

I don't know what the phenomenon is called in which old tools, consumer products, etc become decorative pieces? Like somebody might use an old mechanical typewriter or tube radio as an ornament. And it seems to happen some years after the item has become obsolete. For example now you can buy ornaments that look like rotary dial landline phones but are not actually functional.

Anyway, I started to think is there some piece of obsolete or old fashioned technology that isn't going to have that happening? And maybe the 80s-early 2000s beige box computers? Did anyone ever think they actually look good? F.e. can you imagine this being used for decoration without at least some kind of repaint or similar? It's just so incredibly boring looking. I've seen corrugated cardboard boxes that are more interesting to look at.

IMG_4862_zps7a36c8e6.jpg

My SE/30 is squat in the middle of the living room and still works, but I use it rarely enough* it’s pretty much just decoration now. Most I’ve seen in other places had been turned into aquariums; is there a word for objects whose beige plastic parts age toward different colors?

*(except the extended keyboard, which I’m typing this on 30 years later)

8 hours ago, Tim_J said:

Always wondered who wouldn't press that button... I mean, it's not like there's a mhz traffic police or something... 

They had a practical purpose. Some of the early PC software was lazily written so that it used CPU clock for timing instead of the real-time clock, so if you ran it on a faster computer than it was designed for it might run too fast. It was mostly a problem in games but I've seen for example a file selection screen where the whole list of files just whizzes by in an instant if you press the down or up buttons.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, zkom said:

They had a practical purpose. Some of the early PC software was lazily written so that it used CPU clock for timing instead of the real-time clock, so if you ran it on a faster computer than it was designed for it might run too fast. It was mostly a problem in games but I've seen for example a file selection screen where the whole list of files just whizzes by in an instant if you press the down or up buttons.

ahh you're right i member now...

4 hours ago, iococoi said:

https://mlp.fandom.com/wiki/Diamond_Dogs

The Diamond Dogs are a group of dog creatures who first appear as the antagonists of the episode A Dog and Pony Show, led by the three dogs Rover, Fido, and Spot. After they see Rarity using her gem-finding spell, they kidnap her and force her to find gems for them. They are not particularly smart, allowing Rarity to trick them with ease. Their human counterparts appear in the Rainbow Rocks animated short Player Piano and make cameo appearances in My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks and My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Friendship Games.

DD_Spot_ID_S1E19.png