IGNORED

Dr Octagon - Moosebumps: An Exploration Into Modern Day Horripilation (April 6th 2018)

silentvision

First proper album in over 20 years. Kool Keith, Dan The Automator and DJ Qbert.

Dr-Octagon-Moosebumps-1518641997-640x640

01 “Octagon Octagon”

02 “Polka Dots”

03 “Black Hole Son”

04 “Power Of The World”

05 “Operation Zero”

06 “Bear Witness IV”

07 “Area 54 (IG2)”

08 “Flying Waterbed (IG4)”

09 “3030 Meets The Doc Pt.1″

10 “Karma Sutra”

11 “Hollywood Tailswinging”

12 “Aviator Hype” – bonus track only on physical releases

Keith Thornton aka Kool Keith aka Keith Turbo aka Keith Televasquez aka Keith Korg aka Matthew aka Dr. Sperm aka Dr. Octagon aka Dr. Ultra aka Dr. Dooom aka Black Elvis aka Poppa Large aka Mr. Green aka Mr. Gerbik aka Mr. Orange aka Mc Baldylocks aka The Fourth Horseman aka Blonde Man aka Clean Man aka Shark Man aka Elephant Man aka Alien Man aka Jimmy Steele aka Willie Biggs aka Big Willie Smith aka Willie Natural aka Reverend Tom aka Mike Stanley aka Larry Lopez aka The X aka Rhythm X aka X-Caliber aka X-74 aka Fly Ricky The Wine Taster aka Rico From Puerto Rico aka Funk Igniter Plus aka Robbie aka Analog aka Sinister 6000 aka Crazy Lou aka Lonnie Hendrex aka Light Blue Cop aka The Kid In The Commercial aka Joe Kingpin aka Black Linen aka Elvin Presley aka Deli Boy aka Sk8 Johnson aka Platninum Rich aka Exotron Geiger Counter One Plus Megotron aka Activity aka Exxon aka Captain Kool aka Captain Black aka Exotron Geiger Counter One Gama Plus Sequencer aka Robert Perry aka John Clayborne Cousin Of Jimmy Hicks aka Mr. Nogatco aka Tashan Dorrsett  aka Naquan aka Underwear Pissy

Red vinyl available on Newbury Comics

^ Niice!  Great to see Q and Mike still killin it.

Was there ever a Bear Witness III?  I and II were dope as hell.  TBH Mike kinda butchers Holy Calamity on that vid, but from the intro it sounds like he didn't expect to stand in on the jam, plus they switched it up right before he got on.

Mixed feelings about this album, Deltron Event II was okay but underwhelming

Also I never really noticed how much Automator resembles Steven Segal

Also I never really noticed how much Automator resembles Steven Segal

I'll never be able to unsee Segal now, I hadn't noticed that either.

I've got to say, Keith's lyrics on that track Gocab posted aren't really doing it for me the way the old stuff did, not that they're bad but they lack the sort of visionary weirdness I love about the old Octagon stuff.  On the other hand, there's plenty of it out there I haven't heard but I can't think of a single thing Dan the Automator touched that I don't like a lot.  I might have listened to Instrumentalyst even more than the proper album at this point.

Yeah, this for sure. Also Keith's output has been pretty meh for the past few years. Dr. Dooom 2 and Tashan Dorsett were the last things I really dug from him (2008 and 2009.)

Dude's legacy is untouchable though. I recently re-watched the Poppa Large video, that shit is insanely good, and so far ahead of its time. The interview with him on the Combat Jack podcast is good, if you havent heard it.

This has a lot of damn potential, all of these guys are legends on their own but together there's a solid ass album pretty much guaranteed. My only concern is it might sound too much like a return to late 90s era stuff (DJ Shadow has always been in this rut - pivotal in creating respectable genre but pigeonholed at the same time - trip-hop/turntablism/etc. is just so damn 90s sounding). Even then though it'd still sound great. My hope is it hits the same balance as say, the last ATCQ album.

My only concern is it might sound too much like a return to late 90s era stuff (DJ Shadow has always been in this rut - pivotal in creating respectable genre but pigeonholed at the same time - trip-hop/turntablism/etc. is just so damn 90s sounding). Even then though it'd still sound great.

Yeah Shadow has kind of been parodying himself for a while. It's sad because I still feel like turntablism has a ton of potential, it just feels like it collectively climbed its own rectum with the flashy Las Vegas flavor of one-upmanship on the one hand, and the unsustainable rare groove obsession on the other. Something that started out so raw and free and democratic turned into the epitome of elitism, to the point that it reeks of kitsch. It's probably due for a revival, though, since now that every other basement dweller has a pirated copy of Ableton and a synth or two, the standard for showmanship and talent is a bit higher.

Anyone doing interesting guitar-like processing with turntables? I feel like this could be fertile ground.

Gonna have to pick this one up asap, I was banging to Octagonecologist a lot last summer for nostalgia's sake thinking it'd be cool if the put out another album. This track will always be a classic in all it's absurd glory, on a good system that bass pumps hard.

• 1 month later...
Thanks!

I like it. It's a good album. I think what's been missing from Keith's output recently might just be solid production. I like the automator beats quite a bit, although they have moments of flimsy garageband-ness

Archived