IGNORED

Underworld - Drift

purlieu

So it appears Underworld are releasing a series of digital-only weekly singles. The first, 'Another Silent Way', is labelled (Film Edit), which suggests we may be getting a 'proper' release of these later on. Meanwhile, this is a fucking banger, UW do acid for the first time in 25 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYgY6ou-xTk

Looks like they reuploaded it.  When I tried the video earlier it said it wasn't authorized for viewing in the US, so maybe they had to reupload it.

Well colour me interested. Sounds like a return to form (by which I mean a return to the 90s, thus ticking all the right nostalgia boxes)

Yeah I've quite liked the eno/hyde stuff but apart from that I've been out of the loop since they did Barking (which was ok but not incredible)

Well colour me interested. Sounds like a return to form (by which I mean a return to the 90s, thus ticking all the right nostalgia boxes)

Yeah I've quite liked the eno/hyde stuff but apart from that I've been out of the loop since they did Barking (which was ok but not incredible)

I think Barbara Barbara is worth a listen? https://www.discogs.com/Underworld-Barbara-Barbara-We-Face-A-Shining-Future-/master/973131

There are a few tracks on there I thought were ace. I mean, it's not Beaucoup Fish or anything but I didn't regret spending my money on it. heh

Barking was pretty poor - the demos without outside producers are far better than the final mixes, but even some of them are underwhelming by UW standards - but the stuff since then has been worthwhile. I love Karl's solo album, even if it got a muted response from a lot of fans, and Barbara Barbara is wonderful, if annoyingly short. But the material is great, a mix of fairly classic Underworld and some new sounds for them. The Drift trailer seems to be taking that approach too: '90s Underworld bangers with unexpected vocal harmonies and weird noises and stuff.

Finally got around to parts two and three.

Part two: fucking banger. Makes me want to drop acid and flail around like a madman.

Part three: clearly that phase of a trip where you’re all “introspective and deep”. But a lovely piece of art.

3rd video is more like I expected from them - arty poetic stuff.  Which I approve of - but also love the club bangers :emotawesomepm9:

I just heartily gush over Underworld

First time I ever saw Underworld was here:-

Shame the rest of the set is not online, they played 90 minutes and it was pure bangers for a very up for it young crowd.

The venue was in a disused quarry with little in the way of sound restrictions

3rd video is more like I expected from them - arty poetic stuff.  Which I approve of - but also love the club bangers :emotawesomepm9:

Yeah, this is what makes them so great. Can't think of many dance acts who do the arty ambient experimental stuff so well without it ever interfering with how well their club tracks are.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...