IGNORED

Underworld - And The Colour Red (2023)

LooseLink

Here ya go, a new Underworld thing, out this year by the sounds of it! Damn, Prodigy, Liam now it's your turn (though your circumstance is more understandable obviously..... ahhhhh, RIP Keef!)

But yeah, sounds good, dark 'n' deep, very Beaucoup Fish of them here, maybe earlier abit even, anyway looking forward!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Pirtek said:

I think there will be something from him at some point.

Yeah yeah, what I was trying to mean, this and last year, there's been a new Leftfield, which sounded good actually, and new Chemical Brothers soon hopefully, a new FSOL, every six months, but whatever, but a new Underworld though!, if the Prodigy announce something, no pressure, and Photek, but then, it's the damn 90's all over again, along with Orbital and The Orb, there's been some damn good bangers recently honestly, and speaking of which, just heard the live version of "And The Colour Red"..... honestly, probably their best track in a long while:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NewSchoolScience said:

I remember when Lemon Interupt Underworld were good

Dude you need to shut your "Dirty" damn "Big Mouth" ?

16 hours ago, Pirtek said:

Photek really needs to re-issue his 90's wax, especially Form and Function vol 1 album!!

Hell yeah, and his Aquarius shit seriously:

• Like 3

This would be one of the better tracks in a second Drift series.

Barbara Barbara really surprised me, it stands up to their best from the Emerson era. Drift was interesting and had some standout moments for me. I'll be listening for sure, and it's great how these guys still find ways to do their thing.

• Like 1

Hmm yeah, had a listen to the full track on youtube... hmmmmm, just like Dirty Rat by Orbital, it does still sound like half a track still, you'd think the track would build with higher synths or variation or something. Anyway, looking forward to Everything Everything 2 then. What's here anyway did remind me of a Underworld gig I ripped to CD when I was a teen, and listened to death!, dude I'd shove "Colour Red" in here anywhere, but anyway, damn this set was so good!:

Edited by LooseLink
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

silver and maroon and blue and purple and silver and red and silver and red and blue and yellow and white and blue and blue and red and grey and red and green and purple and yellow and black and black and red and green and white and blue and blue and grey and blue and white and yellow and black and white and blue and blue and red and white and red and grey and grey and red and red and yellow and green and grey and blue and blue and grey and yellow and white and silver and black and green and red and white and black and silver and white and grey and blue and blue and grey and silver and white and white and red and (?) and green and grey and brown and white and green and red and red and green and white and black and silver and silver and green and grey and black and black and red and white and grey and red and blue and blue and blue and blue

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man did that hit back in '96. There are a lot of epic album openers but I revisited this (honestly: blanked out on which song it came from lol) and it slams all the same 27 years later. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, xxx said:

Man did that hit back in '96. There are a lot of epic album openers but I revisited this (honestly: blanked out on which song it came from lol) and it slams all the same 27 years later. 

Absolute classic track and album, nothing can touch it. Picked it up in '99 and Karl's observational and stream of consciousness lyrics were revolutionary for me as a young teen.  This new track is just really boring and lifeless, and seems to be referencing the past but in the most uninspired sounding way. If it was another Drift project I'm sure it would fit in, but if this is the first single off what is sure to be a hyped up album, it's a pretty weak start. IMO

The other ones in that live set could turn out all right though ?

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

This new track is just really boring and lifeless, and seems to be referencing the past but in the most uninspired sounding way.

Earlier in the morning I watched the livestream of their set at Coachella, and the contrast of quality between ...red (patterns, layers, groove, whatever) and the usual bangers sounded even more bold in that context.

They reckoned they'd do a Drift 2, different to the last but still not a conventional album, which I'm hoping for. While Oblivion With Bells will always be my ambient-lover favourite UW album, everything else since Darren left has had a patchiness to it, a mix of them not quite knowing whether to experiment or try and go for the big poppy club bangers, and feeling slightly compromised by that. When they've just gone "fuck it, here's a bunch of stuff" (Riverrun, Drift Series 1), it's been so much better because there are all-time greats mixed in with weird warts-and-all experiments that make for an exciting listen, even if they're not consistent in the way the 90s albums were. I loved Barbara on first listen, but in hindsight that might be considerably down to the relief that it didn't sound like Barking. These days the only tracks on there that get a regular listen are the first two, which are them pushing themselves out of their comfort zone.

Oh yes, this new track, it's alright. Would be fine on one of those collections, but as a single and a potential album track, it's pretty dull. It might also just be standalone, as it seems to be part of their 12" 'drop' series of one-off tracks. Who knows.

Also, £25 for a single sided 12" is fucking stupid. 

Edited by purlieu
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...