38 minutes ago, ignatius said:

there's more than one thread in the story that is told very well i think and it's impressive they were able to tell those stories as they did at the same time

They cut out the Mentat sub-plot, which was a shame, but probably helped the story/pace

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Pirtek said:

They cut out the Mentat sub-plot, which was a shame, but probably helped the story/pace

Thufir's role was heavily diminished in Part One. I didn't mind that, it certainly didn't bother me during Part Two. Do we even see Thufir in the aftermath of the battle in Part One? (need a rewatch)

Sure, the film could be improved with some heart plug action/ode to Lynch's version "don't be angry, everyone gets one here" along some milking of a cat for an antidote (lol) but Thufir's arc would be a fairly chunky/clunky section from the book to add to Part Two. 

Is there a full list of deleted scenes from Part One? (will have a look)

Spoiler

I quite like the update to Chani. Will be interesting to see how I handle a second viewing - next Friday, IMAX again - I'm going to reach watch Part One the night before. 

A friend of mine complained about the change in Chani's role. a) her reaction at the end and storming off/the fact that she's not as accepting of her being Paul's concubine. b) 3 act was rushed. I agreed with the latter, will see how I feel next week. 

Sure I read that Villeneuve wants to wait 5 years or so before filming Messiah/Part 3. Will the studio let him wait this long? Let's see how the script goes for Messiah...

Edited by Scaramouche
  • Like 1

No matter how good these new dunanies are, lynch’s dune is still a better movie to me! New ones are simply lacking not just in heart plugs but heart in general! 

Edited by xox
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Pirtek said:

yeah. was a shame. i was hoping for that scene. it's one my favs from the Lynch version. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, xox said:

No matter how good these new dunanies are, lynch’s dune is still a better movie to me! New ones are simply lacking not just in heart plugs but heart in general! 

I don't agree. I do like the 84 version, but the Denis' are far superior in every way. No disrespect to Dune '84.

53 minutes ago, xox said:

New ones are simply lacking not just in heart plugs but heart in general!

🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Scaramouche said:

Is there a full list of deleted scenes from Part One? (will have a look)

Someone on YouTube called Secrets of Dune has a video on them. I'll have a look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scaramouche said:

Do we even see Thufir in the aftermath of the battle in Part One?

There's a deleted scene where Pitre says to a captured Thufir "Checkmate old friend". I would have liked this to have been kept in, but obviously with him being removed completely from Part 2, it makes sense.

12 hours ago, Pirtek said:

I don't agree. I do like the 84 version, but the Denis' are far superior in every way. No disrespect to Dune '84.

Depends what you value the most, the only thing I like more in the new version is the industrial design

in lynch’s version to me many things are better: paul is simply flawless, leto is great, jessica, gurney, chani, stilgar, irulan, the emperor, the spacing guild, the navigators, music, overall portrait spirituality and philosophy, alia, relationships between the lead characters is much deeper and warmer and more meaningful (not this “maa booy” superficial shit) - you can feel the love and respect - especially between paul and chani … i could go on and on 

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, xox said:

Depends what you value the most, the only thing I like more in the new version is the industrial design

in lynch’s version to me many things are better: paul is simply flawless, leto is great, jessica, gurney, chani, stilgar, irulan, the emperor, the spacing guild, the navigators, music, overall portrait spirituality and philosophy, alia, relationships between the lead characters is much deeper and warmer and more meaningful (not this “maa booy” superficial shit), especially between paul and chani … i could go on and on 

It's got guts, but just failed to capture the book imo.

4 minutes ago, Pirtek said:

It's got guts, but just failed to capture the book imo.

It’s good enough imo

but tbh I don’t give a shit about the book; when i want to read a book I just read it!

and i prefer the lynch’s version to the book (which I read in high school so it was a long time ago, should read it again probably)

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, xox said:

It’s good enough imo

but tbh I don’t give a shit about the book; when i want to read a book I just read it!

and i prefer the lynch’s version to the book (which I read in high school so it was a long time ago, should read it again probably)

I love the books. I always imaged something closer to Denis' version than Lynch's when I first read it. Same with Paul's character as well. I just love everything about the new ones. Absolutely stunning films.

Don't get wrong, I do like and respect the original.

• Like 1

I am beyond ecstatic about how this movie turned out, just saw it today.

I never thought this series would get such a good interpretation (I never thought it would get another one at all actually) 

The first movie was really really good but it did feel like a set-up. That's the way i went into part 1 anyway so i wasnt dissapointed about it at all. This new one though, is on another level. Jawdropping effects, an amazing portrayal of the story and lovely casting. Thank god i didnt go into this watching any of the trailers because seeing it without knowing what was to come. 

Love to Denis for pulling it off once again and better than ever

• Like 4