• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant wait to see part 2. Been out of the Dune universe for some time but I've been wanting to get back into it lately

• Like 1

I don't know what Dune is about but seems like a dope movie!

Should I read the books or just jump into the movies? 🤔

6 minutes ago, cern said:

I don't know what Dune is about but seems like a dope movie!

Should I read the books or just jump into the movies? 🤔

i read the book and it is great and worth reading. it is quite thick though so depends on if you want to see dune 2 in the theaters or not. the book does help with understanding a lot of the first movie since there are a ton of details that are left unexplained in the movie. however the main plot points are probably easy enough to follow, you might need to watch the first once twice.

• Thanks 1

Just got back from seeing it in 70mm IMAX.

What an amazing film and cinema and experience!

Tim and Austin as Paul and Feyed were fantastic in it. Brilliant performances by both!

Absolutely loved it!!!

• Like 4

Factoid:

In Germany, Dune is called Der Würstenplanet which means "Planet Of The Sausages"

image.thumb.jpeg.9739136e08e8edfbb8f7529fac725936.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

2 minutes ago, zazen said:

Factoid:

In Germany, Dune is called Der Würstenplanet which means "Planet Of The Sausages"

image.thumb.jpeg.9739136e08e8edfbb8f7529fac725936.jpeg

IMG_2731.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Burger 1

Part 2 was really good, but dense & felt a bit too rushed overall... it felt like a fair bit of things could've been set up in Part 1.

really, really good acting moments from almost everyone, but the women here were all standouts (even the worm caretaker!)....Timothee did a strong job overall. having just rewatched the first one before this, it's really clear seeing Paul grow, and his turn towards the end is stark. script and pacing were strong, with surprisingly funny moments in some of the first half. odd to say maybe but the effects/CGI were really good, i realized at some point just how fucking much of these set pieces were pure CG but they all looked amazing and almost never took me out of the moment. the sense of scale able to be captured & communicated this well is no easy feat. definitely worth seeing in theaters imo, i caught it in IMAX and so much of the huge parts of the story really felt so substantial in ways that'll get truncated on your TV screen.

awesome costume and set stuff like the first one. just crazy cool shit. the more cerebral/trippy/existential mind/prescience/etc stuff was handled pretty well, tho seems like a fair bit was left out from the book.

mild details/spoiler-ish

Spoiler

walking out i was sure feeling like it's begging for a director's cut. lots of character moments and set pieces were obviously edited past what was filmed. this felt the most prominent in the first 1/3 and the last 1/3.

the worm-riding was the only CG thing that felt a bit silly/cheap/weak with the effects. it's a kind of silly idea in a way, controlling these massive creatures in that way, so i'm not sure there's a 'realistic' version of that.

Jessica's moments were SO good if a bit sparse unfortunately, and Chani's hurt and anger was very good too, Zendaya is really strong in this role. really felt it from them. Paul's turning was stark and probably would breathe better in a longer cut of things. Bene Gesserit actors were all great even with those awesome headpieces covering most, Emperor's daughter was the first time i've seen Florence Pugh but she was surprisingly good. stuff with Alia speaking to Jessica and the brief appearance from Anya TJ playing her were pretty cool, and pretty haunting.

Harkonnen stuff was all cool enough but felt a bit too starkly odd compared to everything else. this carries pretty directly from the book, but is jarring visually....maybe in a good way ultimately? idk, first impressions...

the twist redoing the scene from Part 1 of Paul's dream fighting then turning out to be Chani in Part 2 was nice. the twisting super weird idea of prescience lapping at the edges of things like this throughout the film is lovely done in a visual medium.

last scenes of Paul taking over from the Emperor were interesting and pretty well done, but again, felt rushed. Walken was maybe a weaker point in ways, some moments felt good from him as the Emperor, other felt like he was just playing Christopher Walken.

ending with Chani pissed heading off on her own was pretty strong but wasn't adequately set up maybe. she's very important in this movie of course and often represents the audience so i think there was a touch of that connection sought for with that ending, which really requires a sequel (looking likely i'm sure).

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, auxien said:

Part 2 was really good, but dense & felt a bit too rushed overall... it felt like a fair bit of things could've been set up in Part 1.

really, really good acting moments from almost everyone, but the women here were all standouts (even the worm caretaker!)....Timothee did a strong job overall. having just rewatched the first one before this, it's really clear seeing Paul grow, and his turn towards the end is stark. script and pacing were strong, with surprisingly funny moments in some of the first half. odd to say maybe but the effects/CGI were really good, i realized at some point just how fucking much of these set pieces were pure CG but they all looked amazing and almost never took me out of the moment. the sense of scale able to be captured & communicated this well is no easy feat. definitely worth seeing in theaters imo, i caught it in IMAX and so much of the huge parts of the story really felt so substantial in ways that'll get truncated on your TV screen.

awesome costume and set stuff like the first one. just crazy cool shit. the more cerebral/trippy/existential mind/prescience/etc stuff was handled pretty well, tho seems like a fair bit was left out from the book.

mild details/spoiler-ish

Reveal hidden contents

walking out i was sure feeling like it's begging for a director's cut. lots of character moments and set pieces were obviously edited past what was filmed. this felt the most prominent in the first 1/3 and the last 1/3.

the worm-riding was the only CG thing that felt a bit silly/cheap/weak with the effects. it's a kind of silly idea in a way, controlling these massive creatures in that way, so i'm not sure there's a 'realistic' version of that.

Jessica's moments were SO good if a bit sparse unfortunately, and Chani's hurt and anger was very good too, Zendaya is really strong in this role. really felt it from them. Paul's turning was stark and probably would breathe better in a longer cut of things. Bene Gesserit actors were all great even with those awesome headpieces covering most, Emperor's daughter was the first time i've seen Florence Pugh but she was surprisingly good. stuff with Alia speaking to Jessica and the brief appearance from Anya TJ playing her were pretty cool, and pretty haunting.

Harkonnen stuff was all cool enough but felt a bit too starkly odd compared to everything else. this carries pretty directly from the book, but is jarring visually....maybe in a good way ultimately? idk, first impressions...

the twist redoing the scene from Part 1 of Paul's dream fighting then turning out to be Chani in Part 2 was nice. the twisting super weird idea of prescience lapping at the edges of things like this throughout the film is lovely done in a visual medium.

last scenes of Paul taking over from the Emperor were interesting and pretty well done, but again, felt rushed. Walken was maybe a weaker point in ways, some moments felt good from him as the Emperor, other felt like he was just playing Christopher Walken.

ending with Chani pissed heading off on her own was pretty strong but wasn't adequately set up maybe. she's very important in this movie of course and often represents the audience so i think there was a touch of that connection sought for with that ending, which really requires a sequel (looking likely i'm sure).

I think they should have made this a trilogy and let it really breathe.

I think Messiah is definitely going to get made. I heard Denis has wrote the screenplay already.

• Like 1

I liked Part 1, particularly enjoyed shots of tiny people walking down the ramp from massive hovering spaceships while cool music plays. Nails that weird far-future vibe.

Villeneuve tackling Dune is like he's facing down the end-of-level sci-fi boss after aceing Arrival and Blade Runner and he's aceing Dune too.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I was sick with back pain when Dune 1 was on the cinema so need to watch that (I kind of forgot about it tbh) before going to iMax to watch part 2 next week. I haven't been to London for ages. Might do British museum as well, maybe National Gallery. We see.

I began watching the original "Dune" movie directed by David Lynch and thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly for its unique designs. However, I was uncertain if it contained too many spoilers, especially since it quickly dives into the plot. Given the movie's duration, it seemed like it would surpass the plot of the newer films at that pace.

IMG_3463.thumb.jpeg.41a6ed6027df3700d25a03bb2057d63c.jpeg

Edited by o00o

22 minutes ago, o00o said:

I began watching the original "Dune" movie directed by David Lynch and thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly for its unique designs. However, I was uncertain if it contained too many spoilers, especially since it quickly dives into the plot. Given the movie's duration, it seemed like it would surpass the plot of the newer films at that pace.

IMG_3463.thumb.jpeg.41a6ed6027df3700d25a03bb2057d63c.jpeg

The lynch dune movie covers the whole first book which would be the new dune pt 1&2. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, exitonly said:

The lynch dune movie covers the whole first book which would be the new dune pt 1&2. 

yeah, the ending was severely truncated in Lynch’s version, hopefully that will be better illustrated in the new Part 2.

22 hours ago, auxien said:

really, really good acting moments from almost everyone, but the women here were all standouts (even the worm caretaker!)....Timothee did a strong job overall. having just rewatched the first one before this, it's really clear seeing Paul grow, and his turn towards the end is stark. script and pacing were strong, with surprisingly funny moments in some of the first half. odd to say maybe but the effects/CGI were really good, i realized at some point just how fucking much of these set pieces were pure CG but they all looked amazing and almost never took me out of the moment. the sense of scale able to be captured & communicated this well is no easy feat. definitely worth seeing in theaters imo, i caught it in IMAX and so much of the huge parts of the story really felt so substantial in ways that'll get truncated on your TV screen. awesome costume and set stuff like the first one. just crazy cool shit. the more cerebral/trippy/existential mind/prescience/etc stuff was handled pretty well, tho seems like a fair bit was left out from the book.

I loved it, so glad I caught it in IMAX.

I had a similar experience as yourself. 

It did feel a bit rushed in the 3rd act, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I thought they made some good choices removing some elements/leaving them for Messiah. 

The CGI didn't bother me. Best cinema experience I've had in a long time, certainly for an IMAX experience. 

I was worried that Zendaya was going to ruin it for me, but she was solid, happy to be wrong about that. However, she did stick out like a sore thumb with her accent from the rest of the Fremen, but I believed the relationship between Paul and Chani. They had great chemistry.

I did laugh out laugh loud when Walken went full Walken, but again, a minor grip. 

Great soundtrack too, though I still hate the main theme that sounds like Lion King music. Some pieces did made me think of the Toto score, nothing overt, but the presence of the guitar...

Edited by Scaramouche
  • Like 3