IGNORED

Things everybody loves but you don't get at all

Lachesi

Dub music

I really like dub but mostly because I heard its influence on every other album I liked, so when I finally heard some proper dub it was a total revelation. That said, as you move away from Tubby and Scientist you quickly stumble upon some pretty awful, cheesy stuff.

Really? I find that the further away you get from Tubby and Scientist the better and less cliché-ridden dub gets.

Unlike the bounty island nonsense from Jamaica Wackies from NYC is actually listenable. And by the time it hits Berlin - Pole - it actually becomes pretty great.

All IMHO, of course

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I would not count those, although they are great. Those are some things I had in mind when I was talking about things I like being influenced by dub, before I got acquainted with the aforementioned Jamaican stuff. Subliminal Sandwich in particular really laid the groundwork for me.

As far as being cliche-ridden, I think it's kind of like the blues. Most people take the form and do boring paint-by-numbers with it, but for some folks that framework frees them to experiment without getting too far into the weeds.

For example, Scientist's Dubbin' With Horns is an excellent balance to me. Maybe it could have been a little bit weirder but it's not alienating either. I can put it on without pissing off my normie friends, but it still pushes some of the same buttons for me as many WATMM faves.

Of course, as pointed out, some people strongly dislike reggae in general, just like anime.

Bob Marley

It seemed to be a common joke in the Caribbean islands that locals would ask tourists if they like reggae and if yes then what's their favorite artist. Bob Marley would get all the giggles.

Bob Marley

lol.. doesn't everyone like bob marley? i mean.. it's all hits. sort of transcends genre. might as well be classic rock. 

also, i'd say there's a slim percentage of any genre that's good... dub included. but dub just droning on is like a "stay the fuck away" siren for me. 

Bob Marley

lol.. doesn't everyone like bob marley? i mean.. it's all hits. sort of transcends genre. might as well be classic rock.

also, i'd say there's a slim percentage of any genre that's good... dub included. but dub just droning on is like a "stay the fuck away" siren for me.

Stoners that like Bob Marley

and i maintain that daft punk are lazy hacks

mostly yes

always been rich kids making house 

Bangalter can be credited for some damn good production and the whole "filter house" trend that Switch, Oizo and Justice and the whole Head Banger label honed in on but since Discovery it's been one well-executed big ass gimmick

All of the Daft Punk love in the last 10+ years has been a combination of music journalists' apologetic belated praise and the mainstream public finally admitting they like house music. People forget how much much mediocre response Human After All got - if the Alive tour hadn't been a success they would of likely slipped back into the same "remember the 90s!?" vibe as Fatboy Slim.

There's just far better music out there - hell I rather listen to any of Basement Jaxx's albums since 2001.

RE: DUB

This is one those genres / styles I can honestly say was consistently better in the past - do much dub is so overtly heavy on reggae tropes and sounds it hurts - this includes the legends of the 70s and 80s who still tour, even Scientist and Mad Professor's recent stuff doesn't have the same magic

any prince jammy, lee scratch perry, agustus pablo release is fucking solid - at least through the late 80s - hell even their deep cuts are good and more obscure stuff from that era is gold

beyond that you have to dig deep for truly good stuff, but when you find it's incredible, but it's there:

late 90s / early 00s:

2016:

Hating on Dub? Nothing could be more WATMM

Jah Shaka would own all your asses in a performance setting, plus his rig/PA alone would make specific haters empty said bowels on spot. Add a 10hr Adrian Sherwood mix to commence the final round of inevitable fatalities

"Yeah i hate Dub, but wasn't that Lee Perry ace"

Lazy cunts

Au contraire, jumping in the claim the elitist high-ground as you've so predictably done there. That couldn't be more WATMM

I mean, look at the thread title. It was only a matter of time before the hall of mirrors appeared.

@ Spazril - zut alors mon petit general....

to contradict the leaps in your own statement, there's fk all elitist or high ground about citing Jah Shaka or Adrian Sherwood as quality examples of Dub, they've proven their musical worth far more than you have dear boy, or we could add countless other Dub artists/recordings/releases aka try harder with the predictable ring-a-ding-elitist-cat-calling-dings

Add cats to my own list of things everybody loves that i don't get at all, proper animal elitism there too ;)

beyond that you have to dig deep for truly good stuff, but when you find it's incredible, but it's there:

late 90s / early 00s:

2016:

Wow awesome!

https://www.discogs.com/Puscifer-D-Is-For-Dubby-The-Lustmord-Dub-Mixes/release/1524895

i get the shit aspects of dub, eg Richard H Kirk's dub work is quite frankly appalling & this human openly worships @ the church of Cabaret Voltaire & Kirk, it's just bad, plus there are innumerable others, innumerable, usually played over & over & over by the white crusty w/dreadlocks in the flat below/above you all week, with his clone mates who all live on cider & pot-noodles & roll-ups & blag their way through life. Bristol is crawling with this breed & they've always latched onto the dub scene w/aplomb

But when it's on....it takes me to Nottingham sound system weekenders & PA-hire work nation-wide, another level of stoned, swallowed by bass, swallowed by artists & tunes i'll never know the names of due to shoe-ing crack heads out from behind speaker cabinets & each jock successively driving mixers/gains & amps deep into the red = hours replacing blown tweeters + the smell of soldering iron in the morning + making it through w/out the whole thing breaking down or anyone getting killed

Archived