IGNORED

Things everybody loves but you don't get at all

Lachesi

the deer hunter

the film?

yes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's an odd film. Great movie (truly timeless cinematography, some of Vilmos Zsigmond's shots are incredible) but, and I say this as a Vietnam war film fan, it's never been in my top 3. It's a hard watch, emotionally exhausting and long. Beyond the story itself there's also the fact that John Cazale was dying of cancer as they filmed. He never saw the final cut. 

It dawned on me that it's one of the last epic films made - it's got the same scope as Ben-Hur or Dr. Zhivago where you have an unbelievable amount of plausible and valid historical events and vignettes all crammed unrealistically in the the lives of one protagonist and on a handful of people in their social circle. Really more of a tragic American drama than a war film. I've still only seen it once.

Good post. I was obsessed with this film when I first watched it, it stayed in my mind for maybe a few years, but when I finally watched it for a second time I found the impact wasn't the same, the film became a chore for me to finish. The first hunting scene with De Niro hunting the deer is still mind blowing though and I've watched that many times. It's a classic but a hard film to watch multiple times once you know how the story runs. Imo.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going back to music, there's always going to be your amusing DSOTM and Sgt. Pepper haters but one musician who has legions of critics and millions of fans queuing up to kiss his feet who I've never understood what the fuck they see in him is Eric Clapton.

So fucking dull. Even Cream wasn't really that great imo. Pretty sure Clapton himself said he hated Cream, I suppose he just wanted to endlessly drone and twiddle the blues for hours upon end. Quite possibly I just have missed something, and like Pepper I had to be there at the time. 

Well I remember always lapping up 'the best albums of all time lists' when I was younger and getting Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars tape from the library and thinking yeah I'm gonna hate this. The exact opposite happened. Have to say I'm a massive Bowie fan, he definitely a legend and blew a huge hole in my young prejudiced mind (man dressed up as a woman, with make up and in high heels??? no way lol). There are so many bad assed tunes on that album, I remember first hearing Five Years and then thinking okay this album is gonna roll a bit different to how I expected...

Looking at his Discogs, Ziggy Stardust was 72 then Station to Station was 76, a lot of iffy stuff between those two albums, then he went to Berlin with Eno...

So not too bad for the 70's

daft punk

overhyped (especially the recent albums) sure.. but if you dont get them at all> try starting from their solo stuff (check thomas bangalter and le knight club) and Homework, which is imo an amazing album.  Then the pivot from there into mainstream territory with Discovery is also pretty impeccable (imo)

oh, sorry. I thought this thread had turned into "stuff other people like that you dont" e.g. not getting "tv" or "being social" or "sports." forgive me, i thought this was the i-swear-im-not-a-normie help group

My perception of Daft Punk is a couple of musicmakers who try really hard to mark extremely cool music for some pop ultra cool in-crowd. So not really my cup of tea either.

I bought their first album the week it came out, it was the exact time I was getting heavily into Aphex and Warp records. So that was the death knell for Daft Punk in my eyes (and ears).

RIP Daft Punk

(Aphex Forever)

Dub music

same. also reggae

re: dub. i was at a campout party that was just a big group of friends and there was a sound system and DJ sets were coordinated/organized. this is a crowd of people mostly into experimental stuff and electro and quality weirdness and braindance.. and once guy who was sort of new to the group showed up and had a bunch of stuff to play but the schedule was set the guy wanted to play and got all butt hurt when the guy who brought the PA and was coordinating sets asked "What are you gonna play?".  now, this was a casual get together but there were people on psychedelics so care had to be taken with the music. anyway.. this guy got all pissed and stomped off and couldn't let it go and sitting around the fire he was just going on and on all mad and loud and finally said "who does he think he is asking me what i play!! i never...!!! i can play dub.. everyone loves dub! it's the lowest common denominator!!"

to which i replied "this isn't a lowest common denominator crowd. some of us HATE dub."

it didn't go over well. especially 2 hours into a set of total machine sound design weirdness played by a friend :)

the guy who was mad and thought he could just play dub and make people happy had a heart attack some months later (he recovered fine)...

but obviously this means dub leads to heart attacks... because for some reason people tolerate it even though they hate it. 

Dub music

I really like dub but mostly because I heard its influence on every other album I liked, so when I finally heard some proper dub it was a total revelation. That said, as you move away from Tubby and Scientist you quickly stumble upon some pretty awful, cheesy stuff.

Heh my experiences with music listening and psychedelics is that individual enjoyment of music decreases linearly as the group size increases due to compromises and shifts towards "lowest common denominators "

Sucks about the heart attack tho

Wholeheartedly agree. Anytime I take psychs it has to be around a small group of trusted people. Otherwise things go off on weird tangents, people aren't listening to the music etc. 

Dub music

I really like dub but mostly because I heard its influence on every other album I liked, so when I finally heard some proper dub it was a total revelation. That said, as you move away from Tubby and Scientist you quickly stumble upon some pretty awful, cheesy stuff.

I love some dub but there is some fucking awful modern dub. Anyway when I listen to dub it's mostly Lee Perry. His stuff is sometimes really out there and experimental. Like the whole Return of the Super Ape album which has all sorts of crazy bits, nonsense lyrics and even a hindi song combined with Perry's eccentric production style.

Dub music

Actually dub has been very significant for the development of modern music in my opinion... For the first time people started thinking about the process and not the composition. Today is basic thinking but in the late 60's and 70's no one used to think like this (at least not in "pop" music area) (but not even in classical) 

Archived