IGNORED

I'm Ashamed of WATMM Sometimes

Joyrex

That's the thing, right? If you're new here and don't know the backstory, that stuff just won't translate well.

Half the board scores well into the aspi-spectrum. And like someone said earlier, I also vaguely remember Rdj suspects he scores high on it as well.  In the Ae subforum, enjoying Ae is basically considered the ultimate autism-test. In the watmm non-clinical meaning, that is. Not sure why, as I imagine a real autist might go into a panic attack listening to Ae. But whatever. And we also have this Ulilila character that's a returning phenomenon on the most IDM yearlist. Was never a fan of that, btw.

So, watmm has had this 'special' relationship with autism for years. Or better, a fascination.

Looks bad from an uninformed outsider. But in all honesty, watmm always had this secret language/culture thing going on where your average outsider will go WTF. So that comes with the territory, imo. Personally I'm not sure whether keeping autism off the banter-list of words will do much. I don't have strong feelings on this. But that's also because for me it's a fairly distant concept. I know some people with kids with autism. That's about it. Don't think they'd be too bothered with it though. If you have a kid with autism, you already have plenty to be worried about. And those kids themselves as well. They're very sensitive to a lot of things. But last of those things is stuff that's being said on the internet.

(I'm ignoring the high-functioning self labeled aspies here, btw. Those actually tend to be the people most sensitive about what is being said. As they have connected their own identity to it. Whether that's justified...I tend to differ btw. But thats another story)

But if we're going down this road though, do we stop listening to windowlicker as well?

Final thought: as this came from someone who is not a part of this community any more, I don't feel an urge for change, tbh. It would be different if he still was and "came out of the closet". It would have been great if he had started a thread about his experience with those kids with autism, btw. If he wanted change, that would have been a way forward, I believe. I'm fairly sure a number of people would have been interested. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's not some watmm inside joke about rdj/ae, it's pretty widespread, any sufficiently obscure web community eventually adopts the term autism to mean something like "capable of spending time on non-normie pursuits in a way that matches our community's interests"

1 hour ago, jaderpansen said:

Hm, i lived under the impression it's just IDM slang for "meticulousness" or something along those lines, in any case connotated rather positively really. Wasn't there even a thread where everyone basically boasted with their autism spectrum test results??

Edit: I mean sure, arguably still kinda tasteless. Just sayn.

let's just get back to calling it 'anal' again like it used to be in the old days

Just now, goDel said:

Just out of curiosity: what are "good" insult words according to you? Or are you going in a direction where insults are not allowed anyways?

Insults that don't discriminate groups of people that historically have been mass murdered or enslaved. There surely are insults that aren't ableist, racist, homophobic and such, you faggot

darreich is correct. degree is not necessarily the same of course, but the basic idea is the same. autist/retard are about the same degree imo. i ain’t gonna advocate for limiting anyone’s speech in general, but i choose not to use those terms, and I certainly note when others do.

2 minutes ago, goDel said:

Just out of curiosity: what are "good" insult words according to you? Or are you going in a direction where insults are not allowed anyways?

fucking idiot

sorry was just pointing out an example of things you can say, not necessarily calling any specific person that.

:trollface:

10 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

I'm sure this thread will turn out great.

instead of waiting for the shittiness to snowball, contribute in ways that you think are good and helpful. society WATMM is what we choose to make of it ?

in forums like resetera all dem gamer words are ban worthy no?

idk im glad watmm isnt as militant about it n at the same time hasnt devolved into the shittiniess of sites like 4chan etc

2 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

Hm, i lived under the impression it's just IDM slang for "meticulousness" or something along those lines, in any case connotated rather positively really. Wasn't there even a thread where everyone basically boasted with their autism spectrum test results??

Edit: I mean sure, arguably still kinda tasteless. Just sayn.

Most of the people who post regularly are on the spectrum somewhere, and I am so I would fucking know. I don't find it offensive to joke.

Here's an idea.

How about the upcoming WATMM Music volume 2 raises money for http://www.musicforautism.org.uk/ ? or some other similar charity.  An nice gesture and I am sure this would go part way to helping WATMM gain some sort of inclusive identity for all.

Re:- AFX autism

From https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/06/pleasure-principle

Until now, James seemed to like nothing more than making things difficult for his public—whom he’s confessed to hating—and himself. (James, who describes himself as “a little bit autistic,” doesn’t generally allow himself to be photographed or interviewed.) Now he’s made the kind of album that could earn him young fans who have no idea they’ve been listening to James knockoffs for decades.

4 hours ago, Candiru said:

Like Eugene caused some controversy in that Epstein thread, but none of us are worse off for it.

speak for yourself, I am now a pederast because yevgeny said it was ok.

Archived