IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

4 minutes ago, baph said:

I think everyone's trying to say initialism or acronym tbqh

Oh, I see, like (name) initials or something. Makes more sense now.

Just now, very honest said:

software term. starting signal for something. 

Well that's what I thought but the sentence didn't make sense much and I didn't get how ppl arrived to abbreviation from that.

10 minutes ago, eclipsis said:

the sentence didn't make sense

It's a loose convention, but capitalized variables are often constants you'll find on top of programs. Maybe I speculate too much, but the sentence makes sense. I still don't get why people read that as an abbreviation. I hear clearly that's it's kind of a… start of something they don't want to talk about ?

Edited by Sub0
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sub0 said:

It's a loose convention, but capitalized variables are often constants you'll find on top of programs. Maybe I speculate too much, but the sentence makes sense. I still don't get why people read that as an abbreviation. I hear clearly that's it's kind of a… start of something they don't want to talk about ?

I think most everyone read and understood it as such, but in forum banter acronyms for the lols obv. ‘SIGN’ invites it.

Edited by Roo

I think that could be it...the name of their system.

Metaz form8 really is beautiful by the way, isn’t it? It’s like the soundscape to an infinite dream. The sound of loss and longing. 

Edited by Lianne
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Roo said:

I think most everyone read it as such, but in forum banter acronyms for the lols obv

The thing is I've seen it on another forums that people started making acronyms based on that sentence from the interview.

But I’m not sure that art can be produced by computer. It may just be my limitations as a programmer. And it may be that someone will come along and apply machine learning in a way that’s actually emotionally gratifying. But for me personally, I can’t build systems that do that.

that's from Sean. the way i'm reading it implies he's tried it.

• Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 2

it's the names and postcodes of all the Gescom members and their sexual partners, converted to four digits in base 64 using a method that involves taking fridge magnet letters and setting them on fire.

• Farnsworth 1

Sean: "But I’m not sure that art can be produced by computer...I can't build systems that do that"

Third Member: "fu! I'm locking you guys out of the groupcode. I'm building my own. You dumb mortals have been holding my depravity back with this fluffy emosh!"

tumblr_oq28a4xVBn1sas7dso3_500.gifv

tumblr_oq28a4xVBn1sas7dso5_500.gifv

Sean Is Goingto Norway

8 hours ago, Chabraendeky said:

Was this already shared here?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/arts/music/autechre-sign-interview.html

NY Times interview with Ae abut SIGN. There are some pearls in it...

Edited by ignatius
  • Haha 4