IGNORED

Tri Repetae

vamos scorcho

erm yeah but disc 2 isn't really the album.

F'reals. It's kind of baffling that someone would go to the effort of signing up and posting on a forum devoted to a particular artist but wouldn't bother reading the liner notes.

Or maybe it isn't. :cerious:

Guest RadarJammer

erm yeah but disc 2 isn't really the album.

F'reals. It's kind of baffling that someone would go to the effort of signing up and posting on a forum devoted to a particular artist but wouldn't bother reading the liner notes.

Or maybe it isn't. :cerious:

Please keep your Autechre subforum Hall Moniter badge in full view when handing out Autechre subforum demerits.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, it probably took me a year of (apparently too quiet) listening to discover Overand's hidden percussion level. That's some liminal shit.

I love that! It's so alluring because the pitter-patter texture is so nice but it's too quiet to really hear clearly.

Edited by sweepstakes

Also, it probably took me a year of (apparently too quiet) listening to discover Overand's hidden percussion level. That's some liminal shit.

I love that! It's so alluring because the pitter-patter texture is so nice but it's too quiet to really hear clearly.

The best part is when everything drops out but the percussion (like about 4:50). Probably my favorite part of the whole album besides Clipper.

However this is one of my least favorite ae albums. I love the Tri Repetae sounds, but not so much the Tri Repetae organization of those sounds. Chi Slide is infinitely more dynamic and subtle imo.

The best part is when everything drops out but the percussion (like about 4:50). Probably my favorite part of the whole album besides Clipper.

However this is one of my least favorite ae albums. I love the Tri Repetae sounds, but not so much the Tri Repetae organization of those sounds. Chi Slide is infinitely more dynamic and subtle imo.

aren't those somewhat contradictory? I actually think tri rep to be the most subtle of ae's catalog. highly repetitious but still crammed with changes ever so slight,

i was playing "overand" on these huge 1980's kenwood speakers that my roommate had in college. we had such a minimal apartment. i was playing it for a friend, and it sounded so good on those speakers, and he just started to cringe at those really high tones that come in. i never thought they were unpleasant at all, but he couldn't take it. he doesn't know what autechre is though. i've listened to that track on repeat for hours, it puts me in such a specific, open, indifferent state of mind. really good to read to.

totally agree with that, i fucking love overand. it's one of those songs that i can listen to any time in any mood.

wheres the love for leterel? it's one of my favorites, the way the chords change up midway is really emotive, always reminds me of vose in.

aren't those somewhat contradictory? I actually think tri rep to be the most subtle of ae's catalog. highly repetitious but still crammed with changes ever so slight,

Rest assured I was using them in a non-contradictory way ;)

I don't want to get off the topic of tri repetae, but i'll just say that I am to chiastic slide as you are to tri rep.

• 1 month later...

Guys, it took me a long time, but I finally fell in love with Tri Repetae, one year after buying the CD. Hearing C/Pach in the Gescom Disengage set helped me giving this album a new, fresh listen, and oh God I wasn't disappointed. I put my headphones on (which have the power to help me discover hidden, underlaying sounds in almost every Ae track - even the ones I thought I knew by heart), and I was in for a treat.

The long songs I found annoying back in the days (Rotar, Stud, Overand, Rsdio) are in fact everything but annoying. They stand among the most subtle songs I've ever heard. The one that I already liked (Dael, Clipper, Eutow) reached another level, way higher.

To cut a long story short, what I thought being one of their weakest releases revealed itself as being one of their strongest body of work.

I knew you would understand that feeling.

Thanks.

• Farnsworth 1

Tri Rep (and I guess most ae for that matter) has that special skill of making all other existing music seem shallow and pedantic. Which is of course ridiculous, but it never offers comparison judgements. so powerful.

Guest Xenblake

Took me quite a while to get into Tri Repetae too.

Releases such as Draft 7.30 and Untilted just seemed initially way more complex, which probably made me concentrate harder on them to "crack the code" of the melodies and dynamics of the sounds in play.

With Tri Repetae it immediately struck me as a bit lumbering, even dull to get through. For a long time it seemed to lack the complexity and sheer business of their later works, and lacked the obvious melody and harmony of their earlier works. It was the middle child caught between it's wizen older siblings and its innocent younger ones.

Guys, it took me a long time, but I finally fell in love with Tri Repetae, one year after buying the CD. Hearing C/Pach in the Gescom Disengage set helped me giving this album a new, fresh listen, and oh God I wasn't disappointed. I put my headphones on (which have the power to help me discover hidden, underlaying sounds in almost every Ae track - even the ones I thought I knew by heart), and I was in for a treat.

The long songs I found annoying back in the days (Rotar, Stud, Overand, Rsdio) are in fact everything but annoying. They stand among the most subtle songs I've ever heard. The one that I already liked (Dael, Clipper, Eutow) reached another level, way higher.

To cut a long story short, what I thought being one of their weakest releases revealed itself as being one of their strongest body of work.

I knew you would understand that feeling.

Thanks.

the aeffect

• 2 months later...

Rotar has to be one of my favourite Autechre tracks, I love the mood of it and way it develops and changes and pulls you in. Autechre at their best.

that point halfway through when the drums drop out, and right before they come back...fuck. they nailed that. and towards the end around 6:30 when the melody/noises come to a climax and it all drops down to just the beat and that whining noise. so damned good. i love this track so much. and this entire album.

C/Pach and Gnit are fucking sweet too. so simple and direct but so well done. all the details in those tracks are perfect.

Guest pixelives

Tri Rep is perfection in my mind. Do not mistake complexity for perfection or something better. While later work may be more complex, this LP creates total mood.

I always felt like it was the soundtrack to some unmade or long forgotten sci fi film. It is a pinnacle and, I think, will be timeless. Someday we might look back at other works of theirs from later in the catalog and think about how tied down to certain technologies it is. This one is a hybrid and therefore very special. Technique is not the issue, it is what comes out of it and how it makes you think.

Also FWIW, I always felt that this LP was their industrial/ambient album. A lot of the sounds cross those two axises.

Guest Sprigg

Leteral -> Rotar -> Stud is my favourite sequence of AE songs.

This whole album seems to tell a story. A factory planet is going strong, then all the people leave for no reason. The planet is still doing its thing, but eventually shuts down and alien insects start zipping around the darkened mechanized trees and caves and oil pumps. At the same time, the fleet of people is blown up by a foreign armada as they make their way across the universe. The planet-factory eventually starts up on its own again, and the album ends.