IGNORED

Are You obsessed with anything?

producer snafu

Not really. I'm a man of patience and moderation, as my avatar indicates. Some have used the word 'boring' in lieu of my description, however.

The nearest I get to obsession is whatever story I'm working on. It floats around my brain and repeats endlessly, until I get it down into a document. It's a cheap obsession to have!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really. I'm a man of patience and moderation, as my avatar indicates. Some have used the word 'boring' in lieu of my description, however.

The nearest I get to obsession is whatever story I'm working on. It floats around my brain and repeats endlessly, until I get it down into a document. It's a cheap obsession to have!

What kinda stories we talkin? Steamy Harry Potter fanfiction I hope.

music of course (99% beethoven and ae)

also, i kind of like girls ...girrrrrlllzzzzzz

chess' good too

watmm fak off already :)

Oh ya, very obsessed with the female body

ooh yes, idm makes horny !!

What kinda stories we talkin? Steamy Harry Potter fanfiction I hope.

Please. Clearly I'm a Twilight shipper: my last story was about Robert Pattinson's character going to Jamaica and getting embroiled in a shady deal with some muscly drug barons, ending up in prison, which I called 'Bob Pattoison and the Jailers'

music as a universe, hunting & cross referencing for those tracks & moments that inspire spiritual gurning (audio archaeology?) - sounds pretentious but its fairly accurate......

passions - quantum mechanics/cosmology, magic, kinky sex, prehistory

As Squee mentioned, I'm a control freak when it comes to coffee. I like to make mine as strong, fresh, and concentrated as possible. I wouldn't trust anyone else to brew it for me (except my brother - he knows what's up)

Other than that, I obsess over any new music even remotely similar to Ae, any cinema Neil Blomkamp-related, and any vidya gaymes that have even a remotely similar aesthetic to the previous two.

EDIT: And the exploration of Goldilocks-zone exoplanets. Also the idea of fully autonomous sentient robots.

Used to also obsess over guns for some reason, but I think I've outgrown that now.

$$$ power success hoes fast cars marble floors gold toilets chandeliers

Freshly opened bags of whole bean coffee from a roaster. A darker roast with oily beans. Applewood smoked bacon

I was obsessed with rdj boc and autechre years ago. Mainly boc. I bought everything boc I could afford, bought the plastic geogaddi listening party hexagon (admittedly with resell value in mind, and i did resell it for like 5x what i paid it). Bought multiple copies of geogaddi, the jewel case and the booklet. Now it's like Why did I spend so much money on these physical items when the end result is I only ever listen to my digital copies, but whatever. Obsessively archived everything i could find

Was obsessed with this program i worked on for a good few months last year. It was a simulation of a mips cpu and assembler, and simulated almost every instruction perfectly. Also parsed assembly source files and converted to machine code, did all the jump and branch and load offsets for goto style labels within the code, had pseudoinstructions and macros - anyway ended up losing interest when i moved on in school but it was good resume discussion material for interviews

was obsessed with a video game called runescape for my entire teenage years from age 10 to like 18, got 99 in every skill and got billions of coins, every partyhat, etc.

trying to avoid obsessions nowadays

was obsessed with a video game called runescape for my entire teenage years from age 10 to like 18, got 99 in every skill and got billions of coins, every partyhat, etc.

Lelel, this was be from about 10 to 17 on and off (mostly off the last couple years). Well, with a few breaks inbetween. I only ever got 99 in a few skills, fishing... a few combat skills, ranged...woodcutting I think? Maybe that was 98. I know I had a few more.. cooking I think too.. and fletching.

Anyway, what's strange is that I spent a TON of time with it half a decade ago, and I'm not the least bit nostalgic for it, whereas things and games I spent a small fraction of the time with I'm much more nostalgic for. It's like my brain was DONE with the game by the time I quit. That said, I AM somewhat nostalgic for the original Runescape, Runescape Classic. I think the reason for it was that it basically ended when I was like... 12 or something, and I was much more impressionable when it started and I kind of felt like I was IN the game, and going from Adamantium to Rune I remember was an adventure and I was actually killing Elvarg (I think that's his name), whereas by the time I became a teenager I can't remember thinking that way at all in Runescape, just needed to get 99 in this or 99 in that.

I remember while I was killing Elvarg (this was pretty damn epic for me since it takes an 11 year old quite a while to complete all the quests, get all the levels for this moment) my mom walked in telling me that I had to get off, I kinda freaked out, not at her or anything, I was just like NO I HAVE TO KILL THE DRAGON NOOOOO, and she just kinda looked at me weird and walked out...

Ahh, good times.

That said, I'd take it all back and switch to a more productive hobby if I could go back (such as making music), since the game became a waste of time when "Runescape 2" came out . Too bad it took me years to realize it.

I'm always obsessed with something, in the sense of wanting to learn and become an expert on a niche subject. As a kid I would relentlessly pore over reference books, specialty magazines, even catalogs (there was vintage lego catalog I would spend hours browsing as a kid) and later on websites. For example when I was around 8 I was so into military aircraft that actually remembered things like their performance stats, what countries used them, various trims/models in production, etc. I never got into trains but I completely understand people who are.

Now:

• Cassettes Tapes.
  • Music/music history.
  • Maps & Geography.
  • Test aircraft and space tech.
  • The cosmos.
  • The ocean.
  • Porsche 911s, early models through the 964 design.
  • Obscure Stars Wars EU characters and plotlines.
  • Vast, desolate parts of the earth - I love reading about isolated towns and settlements or far-flung islands
  • 20th/21st century military history and technology (ironically I'm fairly anti-war)
  • Paranormal topics like UFOs, cryptozoology, as well as esoteric history (I'm fairly skeptical in some cases and also despise most cable shows about the subject, they're so topical and lame)
  • Sampling and sample sources.
  • 70s/80s sci-fi aesthetics.
  • An obsession with the more obscure RDJ releases and other IDM/Braindance/Rephlex artists brought me here.
  • Trying new beer and collecting beer koozies.

In the past I was REALLY into aircraft and then vintage sports cars (then JDM sports cars for awhile), also skateboarding as a teen (I sucked but I love watching skate vids and reading mags like Thrasher and Transworld).

I would say mostly just music in general. There's not enough time in any day, week , month, or year for me to consume what I want to. My spreadsheet of albums to buy is ever growing, a lottery win would really help.

Oh, and Maltesers. I love the fuck out of those delicious balls of heaven.

.hand tapping
.spotting songs on other songs

i used to be a lot more "obsessed" with stupid things, i mean, when i bought cds when young, imagine, i bought every 4 albums of guns and roses, i would check the bar numbers and notice that they weren´t pressed in the same place or distributed by the same people so i tended to go back to the store and trade the cd... wtf now that i think about it i think it's pretty crazy...

music as a universe, hunting & cross referencing for those tracks & moments that inspire spiritual gurning (audio archaeology?) - sounds pretentious but its fairly accurate......

same here:
https://soundcloud.com/afropop-worldwide

Whoa! That's quite a collection.

Have you listened to these podcasts?

http://rwm.macba.cat/en/memorabilia_tag

A few specifically talk about mostly cassette tape-based collections. Without listening back, I remember the ones with Mark Gergis (Sublime Frequencies) and Brian Shimkovitz (Awesome Tapes from Africa) did.

I posted it about them not too long ago, but I really do think they are fantastic. If you're interested in music collections/obsessions, definitely check them out.

I don't know about obsession, but I also like ASMR :) Been listening to it for years as I go to sleep, great stuff.

wow, 2 or 3 days ago i tought about reaserching about this but then i forgot...

turns out it is a thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

sounds like most of the stuff described in this thread as obsession are in fact passions...

my greatest passion for the last 2 years: AFRICAN MUSIC

Archived