IGNORED

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross - Disney+Pixar's Soul (Original Score)

Rubin Farr

Soul follows a middle school music teacher named Joe Gardner (Jamie Foxx) with a lifelong dream of performing jazz onstage in front of an audience. But he accidentally falls down a manhole cover and dies before getting his chance, and must navigate the afterlife back to his body on earth before it’s too late. The film is absolutely loaded with music, so it makes sense that Disney would need two whole albums to contain it all.

So jazz. In a movie called "Soul". With a soundtrack by Trent Reznor.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

If you had told 90's me (when Pixar was just coming along) that Trent Reznor would be doing a movie soundtrack for one of their films, I would have laughed in your face...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reznor & Ross soundtracks have been top notch so will be checking it out.  Their soundtrack to the new Fincher flick Mank ought to be interesting too as they used only instruments from the 40s

Edited by azatoth

I don't think he has worked for Apple for a few years now. 

He is an artist who has fallen into a bit of a formula no matter what he tries. You basically know exactly how a NIN track will go after about 30 seconds. So I think trying something outside his comfort zone like this and the old-timey score for Mank could have a good impact?

Edited by gnarlybog

27 minutes ago, gnarlybog said:

He is an artist who has fallen into a bit of a formula no matter what he tries. You basically know exactly how a NIN track will go after about 30 seconds.

Yeah, he has a well defined sound.  I like his work a lot - PHM got me through high school and TDS is really diverse and creative but after that I think he runs into his limitations as a composer. It's always the same set of chords and changes and once the novelty of his - impressive - sound design skills wears off that becomes a bit boring.

(I know he's supposed to be "classically trained" but from the way his music sounds I'd say that's probably not much more than a bunch of piano lessons).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just recently started playing this and I put the Reznor and Ross compositions in a big juicy Spotify playlist. Definitely feeling a light on this. I think it’s fucking fandabbydozey and does indeed make my :braindance: :music:

Edited by beerwolf

44 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Just recently started playing this and I put the Reznor and Ross compositions in a big juicy Spotify playlist. Definitely feeling a light on this. I think it’s fucking fandabbydozey and does indeed make my :braindance: :music:

Go home. You're drunk.

• Haha 1