IGNORED

Song of the Year 2020

T3551ER

UPDATED: Youtube Playlist here: 

Happy 2021!  Last year I got a lot of mileage out of the WATMM SOTY thread - helped provide a lot of light in a dark year, so figure it's high time to continue the tradition in 2021! 

Realize there may be more than one SOTY for you, please feel free to post several. If people (you don't have to) would be kind enough to post Spotify links, I'll also create a WATMM SOTY playlist and post it here for everyone to enjoy. Here's mine, in no particular order:

1.  Poppy - Concrete     I would actually probably choose "Don't Go Outside" but you really have to have listened to (and enjoyed) the full album to get the full effect there. Anyway, Concrete sort of distills what's best about this album, alternating between thrash metal, japanese bublegum pop and then straight up pop rock at the outro. 

2. The Strokes - At the Door   Something immensely crushing but also uplifting about this track. It made me cry when I first listened to it. Still gives me the sniffles. 

3. Busta Rhymes (w Kendrick Lamaar) - Everything from the chopped Michael Jackson sample to a killer verse by Kenrick and a hot as fire verse by Busta, can't beat this track. 
4. Spillage Village - Ea'alah (Family) - This whole record is amazeballs, hard to pick just one track, but this one is a pretty great summation of everything good about this record - gospel tinged melodies and guitars mixed with street mentality. 

Edited by T3551ER
Added Youtubes with limited success
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice thread idea but boo @ spotify links.  If you dont have an account they either give you a tiny crap sample, or in my case dont play because "not available in your country"

Most memorable for me would have to be some autechre.. particularly the SIGN livestream.  I love the opening tracks on both albums..

• Like 2

Awesome. Loving this shit. Went ahead and replaced w/ Youtube links (agreed Spotify is shit for those w/out an account). Added link to Youtube playlist in first post, will continue to add vids as they come across here. Cheers WATMM!

18 minutes ago, milkface said:

King Krule - Cellular

Fff, that was this year?  Feels like forever ago I remember watching that video in bed and being stoked on it.  2020 messing with my sense of time.

Alone, Omen 3 I would nominate as one of my fav tracks of the year.  Its a concise earworm that I was playing on repeat a lot at the start of the quarantine

Edited by markedone
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, markedone said:

Fff, that was this year?  Feels like forever ago I remember watching that video in bed and being stoked on it.  2020 messing with my sense of time.

Haha you're the second person this week who I've spoken to who was convinced Man Alive! was a 2019 release!

• Like 1

Wondered when Oneohtrix was gonna pop up.... 

@thumbass good track. It's weird, I feel like I like Slowthai tons when he guests (the Gorrilaz track was aces) but don't prefer his solo stuff... probably I'm just not british enough 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

Songs

Ooh yeah that Yves Tumor track, as well as the whole album was a really good release, however I can't agree with the Dirty Projectors one. I feel that every release they do is 10x worse than the last one, and they've got quite a few albums.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, milkface said:

Ooh yeah that Yves Tumor track, as well as the whole album was a really good release, however I can't agree with the Dirty Projectors one. I feel that every release they do is 10x worse than the last one, and they've got quite a few albums.

yves album took a little while to grow on me, but yeah it's a solid one.

most of the new dirty projectors material does bore me to be fair, but i thought this track, along with one or two others, were lovely!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Wondered when Oneohtrix was gonna pop up.... 

@thumbass good track. It's weird, I feel like I like Slowthai tons when he guests (the Gorrilaz track was aces) but don't prefer his solo stuff... probably I'm just not british enough 

Never listened to his solo stuff lol. Disclosure always has 1/2 really good tracks on each of their projects and the rest is trash. This track is a motherfucking Stormer though

• Like 1