IGNORED

Audacity

Could not find a dedicated topic for this fantastic (free!) program. 

It is very versatile, has lots of build in effects, can easily layer up loads of files.  The envelope tools are really handy too.  And it just had a new major upgrade to V3.0

https://www.audacityteam.org/audacity-3-0-0-released/

Mainly this deals with upgrading their file save format .aup which was fine unless you moved files during the process as it just points to them then your saves don't work.  They have updated the noise gate too, and fixed a bunch of bugs.  

Still my favourite audio editing program, most of my releases so far have been assembled with it as I record with hardware then "tweak" the recordings after.

• Like 6

It's great and easy to use. Ben a got to for me in cassette dubbing when playing back source .wavs and finding the peaks. IIRC @Goiter Sanchezuses it for his production. 

IIRC the only complaint I've seen of it is the destructive .wav editing but that can be avoided and mitigated. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

Could not find a dedicated topic for this fantastic (free!) program. 

It is very versatile, has lots of build in effects, can easily layer up loads of files.  The envelope tools are really handy too.  And it just had a new major upgrade to V3.0

https://www.audacityteam.org/audacity-3-0-0-released/

Mainly this deals with upgrading their file save format .aup which was fine unless you moved files during the process as it just points to them then your saves don't work.  They have updated the noise gate too, and fixed a bunch of bugs.  

Still my favourite audio editing program, most of my releases so far have been assembled with it as I record with hardware then "tweak" the recordings after.

Thanks for the update!

i use audacity for lots of basic sound editing, and basically anything that would be arduous to do in Buzz. it great. middle school computer class 2005 is still payin dividends

i have a fuckton of extra plugin filters which i've never bothered to use. i feel like i should really sort thru them at some point + add more. i dunno tho i gotta be in the right mood to try new fx, or else it just feels gimmicky

• Big Brain 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I run a small plumbing business and audacity has been an absolutely indispensable tool for us. Especially in the field. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1

On 5/22/2021 at 1:59 PM, Rubin Farr said:

I’m trying to learn the process of basic mastering with Audacity, but it is a learning curve. Anyone experienced with that? @Soloman Tump?

Just teaching myself really, mainly using the graphic EQ, filter curve and the built in envelope tools.  I can do pretty much everything with just those.

I have mixed results with the included compressor so tend not to use it so often although it can do the trick for simpler tracks.   So I sometimes open up FLStudio and use Maximus which is the powerful 3-band compressor.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has alerted me to the fact that it now runs on 64 bit for Mac, meaning I can use it again. Thanks WavePad, you've been nice in the meantime, but I'm happy to be back with Audacity.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The famous open source audio manipulation program was acquired by a company named Muse Group two months ago. The same company owns other projects in its portfolio such as Ultimate Guitar (Famous website for Guitar enthuisasts) and MuseScore (Open source music notation software).

Ever since, Audacity has been a heated topic.

The parent company is a multi-national company and it has been trying to start a data-collection mechanism in the software. While Audacity is nothing more than a desktop program, its developers want to make it phone home with various data taken from users’ machines.

Audacity is now a Possible Spyware, Remove it ASAP (fosspost.org)

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, dcom said:

that video i posted back a couple months ago mentioned the buyout and i thought that seemed a touch odd. good that there's likely going to be a fork of it maintained going forward...i rarely have updated Audacity tho and it worked fine for years between when i thought to check in with updates...so i'm not sure if this 'remove it ASAP' scare is necessary. i'd assume the version i'm using (2.4.2) is pre-any of this. it looks like 3.0 and above is possible to have this sort of thing built into it? just guessing here

29 minutes ago, dcom said:

What's your FOSS alternative for it?

id just use the unupdated audacity version from before spyware addition until someone forks it into a superior version

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 6:54 PM, sheatheman said:

The destructive editing is the best part about it. Just commit and move on.

Boy, you learn tat the hard way, also NEVER rename folders ?