IGNORED

Jefre Cantu-Ledesma

milkface

Noticed that there aren't really any JC-L threads on here so I thought I'd make one cause I find his music absolutely mesmerising (his In Summer EP and Songs of Forgiveness album in particular). - Does anyone have any his physicals or has anyone been to one of his shows?

SONGS OF FORGIVENESS | Jefre Cantu-Ledesma

• Like 1

big fan here. I have numerous physicalizations and have seen him live once (1). 

“conversations with myself” has had hours and hours and hours of plays throughout my life and is up there for me in favorite records based on how often it’s been a balm for me in trying times. 

• Like 1

Big fan too. I believe I have a cassette or two, maybe a CD ?

3306027C-66DE-4040-AA6E-C6E0760EDA80.thumb.jpeg.621456ad2cc19299bbb6b216fa50b46b.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

a balm for me in trying times. 

Exactly this.

Edited by Nil
Pics added. Might have A year with 13 moons in CD
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Nil said:

Big fan too. I believe I have a cassette or two, maybe a CD ?

3306027C-66DE-4040-AA6E-C6E0760EDA80.thumb.jpeg.621456ad2cc19299bbb6b216fa50b46b.jpeg

Exactly this.

Wow!!!! Incredibly jealous of that In Summer cassette!

I really like his stuff. Picked up a few bits on vinyl and CD over the years. Saw him perform at Cafe Oto back in 2011 (I think), and picked up the DVD  'Within Mirrors' that night. The gig was accompanied by visuals from Clipson, so serves as a nice reminder. Wicked gig, blissed out fuzz and hypnotic visuals. 

128443763_ImagefromiOS(1).thumb.jpg.aa524698d767943030bfdf8f81c41d92.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nikisoko said:

new to me. check in it out. kinda shoegazey. dope

Yeah his stuff is very versatile, some shoegazey stuff, some more ambient stuff, and some more four tet-like stuff with clicky wooden noises and stuff. All equally amazing!!

I think I got into him via the Grouper connection, its been nice seeing him expand from digital noise of his earlier stuff, to a wider range of syles, but all with the same comforting feel. Tracing Back The Radiance was a mastery of barely there minimalism.

• Like 1

Big fan of JCL’s work. Own a few on vinyl - songs of forgiveness and remembrance, 13 moons and on the echoing green. Was also into his former band, Tarentel, who were one of the more interesting acts to have emerged out of the post rock scene. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, subsub said:

Was also into his former band, Tarentel, who were one of the more interesting acts to have emerged out of the post rock scene. 

I've never really heard any Tarentel, any recommends on where to start? 

1 hour ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

I've never really heard any Tarentel, any recommends on where to start? 

From bone to satellite is their debut, which is also best starting off point. Then the following records below is where they get progressively more abstract:

Ephemera (a collection of their EPs)

The order of things  

We move through the weather

Ghetto beats from the surface of the sun

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Key said:

I think I got into him via the Grouper connection, its been nice seeing him expand from digital noise of his earlier stuff, to a wider range of syles, but all with the same comforting feel. Tracing Back The Radiance was a mastery of barely there minimalism.

Yooooo I had no idea he had a project with Liz Harris. Mad stuff.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

this Poverty album is pretty interesting on first listen. sort of like the Jefre take on the Andy Stott/Demdike Stare/Actress type vibes but not necessarily breaking any new ground or anything. good tho. Jefre is good at the vibe curation and this is no exception.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 3:56 PM, milkface said:

Wow!!!! Incredibly jealous of that In Summer cassette!

Oh man, I had a copy of that but sold it when I was scrounging up for cash and parring down some of my tapes. Since then I picked up the LP version https://www.discogs.com/release/13102531-Jefre-Cantu-Ledesma-In-Summer

I watched this while not sober and it was something else, def appreciate it differently, especially the second half. it was already one of my favorite tracks of all time

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

Oh man, I had a copy of that but sold it when I was scrounging up for cash and parring down some of my tapes. Since then I picked up the LP version https://www.discogs.com/release/13102531-Jefre-Cantu-Ledesma-In-Summer

I watched this while not sober and it was something else, def appreciate it differently, especially the second half. it was already one of my favorite tracks of all time

Unreal track isn't it!! Have you heard the version with vocals from Julie Byrne?

I have, it's lovely. Weird how much it shifts the tone. I can't say I like it more or less than the other version, I do return to it less often though but sometimes it feels more apt to listen to. It's more of like a driving tune or something if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

I have, it's lovely. Weird how much it shifts the tone. I can't say I like it more or less than the other version, I do return to it less often though but sometimes it feels more apt to listen to. It's more of like a driving tune or something if that makes sense. 

Completely agree, the vocals kinda remove a sort of mystery from the original, but at the same time I appreciate the omission of the eardrum destroying noise at the end!! Definitely damaged my hearing slightly with that single track over the last 5 or so years I've known it lol :duckhunt:

Got so many memories linked with the 2014 Songs of Forgiveness EP/LP they're absolutely perfect but my girlfriend always says that the transitions to a new movement in the tracks are too sudden.