IGNORED

Detroit Techno

milkface

O, btw, wrongfully or rightfully, to me detroit techno is pressed on those thick black slabs of vinyl with the tiny nsc logo. Regardless of the producer of the tracks. Therefore, basic channel is basically detroit techno in my books. ?

Spoiler

The NSC STORY 

"In 1989 two businessman, Steve Martel and Ron Murphy decided to open a store specializing in old phonograph records. Located at 17610 W. Warren in Detroit, Michigan, it was decided to name the business 'National Sound Corporation'. In a room at the back of the store they put in some record cutting equipment with the idea of cutting dubs and records for the customers jukeboxes. 

Shortly after opening the store Derrick May and Juan Atkins came in looking for records and noticed the cutting lathe and saked about making some acetates. After cutting a couple of dubs Derrick and Juan told Ron that there was a lot of producers that needed a place in Detroit to cut dubs and masters. After cutting those dubs Ron decided to upgrade the equipment with Derrick and Juan getting the word out about the cutting service. The first master to be cut was for the new 'Plus 8' label (8001), a week later the first 'Underground Resistance' master was cut (UR 001). From those first masters nearly 10 years ago there have been thousands of other masters cut, all inscribed with the initials NSC. Ron encouraged the producers to make their records unique by writing phases and information onto the records, talking Kevin Saunderson into cutting one of his records in reverse and cutting one groove loops for the Jeff Mills 'Rings Of Saturn' project. 

In 1994 Steve Martel died, the retail part of the business had already been closed down due to an increase in the recording service part of the business. Due to problems with the estate of Steve Martel Ron purchased the equipment and moved it to a new location under the new name 'Sound Enterprises', however Ron decided to continue to put the old NSC logo on each master in memory of his original partner whom without the business would have never been started. 

https://www.discogs.com/Various-NSC/release/66253

Ok, this ones on metroplex instead of bc. had to post this one because bc is already widely known stuff.

• Like 2

Robert Hood- Minimal Nation is an amazing album. I see his stuff posted here but I didn’t see that one (maybe I missed it)- Also Anthony Shakir is pretty awesome.

In the same vein as some of this stuff, if you have never heard Joey Beltram, CJ Bolland, or Hardfloor- check them out. Probably most of u guys have, but I figured I throw that out there haha 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the last Detroit things proper I bought were two Kenny Larkin reissues on Mint Condition, Pod's Vanguard EP and Dark Comedy's Corbomite Manuever (sic) EP, both great. I've never been a huge Detroit buff, more inclined towards the UK take on the sound. I have the first three NSC Records releases and a handful of others from here and there (M-Plants and such), Hood's Internal Empire (because Minus) and assorted Hood selections - but I think I have only one Mills (never been a fan), and even that is the Network (UK) version of Hood & Mills' Tranquilizer (sic) EP. Psyche/BFC, of course, and Innerzone Orchestra.

Edited by dcom