IGNORED

AE Live 2023

Iwanttobefree

1 hour ago, aderei said:

I was watching a woulg interview on youtube with an artist from detroit underground talking about their tracks....a super edited sound design thing....it struck me how unexperimental it was...every microsecond considered....and then last night I listened to Dublin 2022 and it struck me how I'm not sure what experimental music is....surely it has to be live? 

Probably a semantic rabbit-hole but: IMO, only the artist can definitively say whether a work is experimental. To me it means I don't execute total control over the outcome, which I think is what you're talking about in your post. Or it means I started out not really knowing where it was going to go. But I think "experimental" as a label can't really be applied externally if we don't know what the artist's process was. We speculate that something sounds intentional or unintentional, or things like "uninspired", but only the artist knows for sure. I think when music critics or whatever call music "experimental" it means that objectively the artist seems to be exploring unexplored territory in some way, taking chances, or maybe it just sounds weird. But we don't actually know if the artist hasn't told us. And sometimes it ends up being the opposite of what we think.

Maybe Autechre is "experimental" based on what Sean says about his being more interested in exploring unexpected things that happen than setting out to make specific things. That's an experimental process pretty much by definition. Then there's the whole Max component: how much is controlled and how much is not? (We don't know the specifics.) So you could also call that experimental in a way.

On the other hand, by the time they're out performing the live sets, or finishing tracks for release, they have mastery over what they're doing. So for us to call Ae "experimental" kinda undercuts their mastery - it's evident in music of this calibre that these guys know what they're doing!

:shrug:

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 5
  • Big Brain 1

On 5/31/2023 at 9:39 PM, Iwanttobefree said:

SONICMANIA. Tokyo. Aug 18.

Now or Never. Melbourne. Aug 25.

Unsound. Krakow. Oct 6.

Venezia Biennale. Venice. Oct 26.

Vicar Street. Dublin. Oct 28. 

Fuck I should really check these subforums more often...:(

Guys... 1hr30... we got the london scratching  track.. after a no messing beat driven intro. All lulled into a false of security with london b style tempo before.. im not kidding a... relentless high bpm worthy-of-afx pounding assault. Next levelness

• Like 10

That was mental, the best I've ever seen Autechre and I've seen them 5 or 6 times before

• Like 8

Dublin was absolute killer! My prayers had been answered as I really wanted to hear more of second half London B, and that's how it started. They went all the way through with that London B stuff, and from then on, it was beats. BEATS, I tell you! So fecking good... The constant was that deep long tuned kick drum that you, yes, you, also love from London B. At around an hour they ramped up the tempo. I was seated up on one of the balconies, so I had a pretty good view of them and at some point near the end, S leaned over to R and they seemed to quickly agree on how they're gonna finish. Some few minutes after that, the beats broke off and this massive buzzing epic melody comes up, almost like a Trance build-up thing. First thought: "Oh yeah, there's a big drop coming". But then, another thought appeared: "They will never go for a cheap move like that". And they didn't. The melody was just cut off and the concert ended. I was laughing so hard. R+S did a funny! Think I saw both of them grin as they were packing up. I was too blown away to think of getting a shirt, when I made it to the stand, they had just been sold out.

I highly recommend attending this gig, but it's in the past now.

Edit: Who can tell me who that guy was that was playing as support? Sounded like NMB to me, or maybe someone else from Skam.

Edited by BlockUser
  • Like 8

It was Minced Oath, Dunk Murphy he records under loads of different names, mainly Sunken Foal, his music is amazing, the volume was very low for his gig, a shame I thought 

Check out his other stuff on countersunk.org he has a new Sunken Foal album coming out next month on Frontend Synthetics

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mattthegoone said:

It was Minced Oath, Dunk Murphy he records under loads of different names, mainly Sunken Foal, his music is amazing, the volume was very low for his gig, a shame I thought 

Check out his other stuff on countersunk.org he has a new Sunken Foal album coming out next month on Frontend Synthetics

Cool! I knew about Sunken Foal, but had no clue he had multiple monikers. Time to check him out more thoroughly. True about the volume, it really could+should have been louder.

all those feedbacks about last dublin set are exiting

yet I'll hold myself from listening to any bootleg rec from now until I go to the 7th april show, so as to keep it fresh  :happy:

Edited by neurone

12 hours ago, zaizai said:

There is one more

which is this i guess:

12 hours ago, BlockUser said:

the beats broke off and this massive buzzing epic melody comes up, almost like a Trance build-up thing.

amazing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1