IGNORED

Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?

cern

Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?

• Yes of course, freaking love it all give me it already!
    • Yes sure, but could have been a little bit longer or more tracks!
    • Yes, but I was expecting an Album or something bigger and not a EP only!
    • No, it feels lame with all QR-campaigns for only a short EP!
    • No, After waiting many years Im so disappointed at this release!
    • I don't even care about this Aphex Twin Dude!

So to be clear: This thread was mainly about the Poll as I was little bit curios with stats on peoples expectations v.s reality check for the new release. 
As we can see the voters have very different opinions about this release which makes the poll quite successful ? 

Then people have comment and filled in what they think and so on which is nice to read! 

The other thread Is more about the release itself and all info, more details on the tracks, the campagin etc! 
But yes ofc this thread would point at the same direction as the main thread. 

Peace 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pirtek said:

Love it. Would be nice if it had more tracks (on physical or just via Aphex store post release), but not fussed. Just happy to have new Aphex! ?

Straight up!

Meanwhile i'v been playing the track at least 4 times a day ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ivan Ooze said:

Straight up!

Meanwhile i'v been playing the track at least 4 times a day ?

I probably play it more than you! Got it stuck in my head!! ?

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 9:37 PM, Lianne said:

Yeah, it seems to be a thing. I know not everyone will see certain releases that way, and genuinely happy for them if they enjoy all the material - but I kinda have to periodically play his best / most beloved tracks again to reminded myself how good he can be. I also circle back to something like Cheetah to try to get into it again; I hope it'll hit the spot in a different mood or place but it's always underwhelming. Even with chill stuff you want some detailing, development, a bit of mystery or a slight bit of harmonic tension. I'm getting so tired of hearing certain sequences and drum sounds from Richard in this era, for eg...over and over again. Collapse was very cool though, an unexpected consistently high effort work across all the tracks involved! I forget about Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 sometimes too; it has three amazing tracks (the first and last especially) but some of the others feel a bit underdeveloped and throwaway too imho. 

OK enough negativity lol. He's totally loaded and has many, many adoring fans so all is well. The hype will live on no matter what he does. And I know I genuinely want to enjoy all these new efforts by Mr. Twin. His best amaze me, but he's not the most consistently quality guy around these days.

I often think to myself, if a track was posted anonymously on EKT or soundcloud, how would people react. My impression is people wouldn't even bat an eye at this, so it's basically just hero worship. I understand he makes billions of tracks and you have to deduce releasing something like this amounts to fan service, or leaning to a careless image or something like that. It has some DNA of old aphex, and his voice of course, but nothing to take home other than an off-hand release timing with a bunch of liveshows. Lords know he's still got it in releases like CCAI or Collapse, but he obviously doesn't like to try all the time. 

I never said Cheetah is bad (I still got a wrapped mint cassette) , but it's boring. Dicking around on an obscure DCO rack synth that shows up in listings for €800 is kinda cool in concept, but I can count my full listen-throughs on one hand. 

BTW enjoying the million reacts. 

Edited by chim
  • Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, chim said:

I often think to myself, if a track was posted anonymously on EKT or soundcloud, how would people react. My impression is people wouldn't even bat an eye at this, so it's basically just hero worship. I understand he makes billions of tracks and you have to deduce releasing something like this amounts to fan service, or leaning to a careless image or something like that. It has some DNA of old aphex, and his voice of course, but nothing to take home other than an off-hand release timing with a bunch of liveshows. Lords know he's still got it in releases like CCAI or Collapse, but he obviously doesn't like to try all the time. 

I never said Cheetah is bad, but it's boring. Dicking around on an obscure DCO rack synth that shows up in listings for €800 is kinda cool in concept, but I can count my full listen-throughs on one hand. 

BTW enjoying the million reacts. 

I totally agree, but come on man he is still a huge inspiration till this day and the live shows are a celebration of that kind off music, you should have witnessed it. 

The track is nice, its aphex twin, it has his heart and soul

An old man with blisters from soldering old machines that make lovely doped up tunes and stuff that can mentally kill a person 

That's enough internet for this month 

Bye

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jules said:

I dunno - the new Sigur Ros preorder is only a few more dollars for 45 minutes and 2 12" records. New Aphex is insta-buy and Im not really complaining. I was just saying that if there really is 3 EPs (I think you alluded to that) and they are all this pricing, it will be over $100 for that and that just seems like gouging to me. I also don't see that happening but Id be happier complaining about more than less lol. Either way, Im happy to have new music from him and will support without question.

I think based on the complexity of the vinyl packaging is why this is so expensive... Aphex has always done some elaborate packaging:

• Universal Indicator Green (12",10",7" green vinyl in a poly bag)
  • Caustic Window/Joyrex EPs
  • SAW II (brown vinyl and 3xLP)
  • DrukQs (deluxe vinyl box was AMAZING)
  • SYRO (deluxe version was incredible)
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Ivan Ooze said:

I totally agree, but come on man he is still a huge inspiration till this day and the live shows are a celebration of that kind off music, you should have witnessed it. 

The track is nice, its aphex twin, it has his heart and soul

An old man with blisters from soldering old machines that make lovely doped up tunes and stuff that can mentally kill a person 

That's enough internet for this month 

Bye

It takes Ivan Ooze to tell the truth sometimes! He's still alive and that really matters. You're right that it has soul. I sorely wish I called in sick/took an emergency vacation and just went to the show. 

• Like 3

I'm really enjoying the lead-off track. To me it gives Collapse + SAW II + Cheetah flavors arranged in a new configuration.

I think by the time we got Collapse, I have heard enough "post-comeback" RDJ to settle down my sense that we were going to get a brand new genre of electronic music from this guy once again. So once I was able to lay that expectation down, now I can just appreciate how incredibly elaborate, sophisticated, delicate, meticulous, and rich the stuff that he does decide to offer us nowadays is without wanting more. There are so many reasons to be obsessed with the work of Aphex Twin, chief among them the way that nobody can emulate his sound because it's so singular. That aspect can and will continue to persist. Anybody who tries to make anything that sounds like him just comes off as derivative and doesn't really yield any artistic fruit that is worth appreciating, in my honest opinion. When you take influence from Aphex, it should be from his spirit and not his aesthetics, because if you go for the latter you just sound like a biter.

But another reason why he was so important to me is because of the several great leaps forward he took in realizing totally new forms of music in the 90s and 00s. He's not going to make the same cultural impact now that he did when Didgeridoo, or SAW 85-92, or Hangable Auto Bulb, or SAW II, or ICBYD, or Melodies from Mars, or Come to Daddy or Drukqs had. He is still marching to the beat of his own drum, but the name of the game seems to be more combining his own flavors into new combinations now than it is trying not to repeat himself. And a world where three, four, five records worth of an incredible sound that is unmistakably the work of one person's mind that cannot be emulated exists instead of just one or two is a world I'm stoked to be in. He claimed the crown he always deserved when he came back in 2014 and if the king has something to say I'm gonna listen.

Edited by egggohan
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

it's been on repeat since it leaked and i can't believe how much better it gets the more i listen to it.

someone mentioned that it sort of sounds like the older type of dubstep from hyperdub etc and i kind of agree. then the beat gets even crazier in the middle but still in that context, so i think the track sounds really fresh and new, for aphex at least.

also going by the comments/rating on youtube or rym, it also seems like the newer more casual aphex fans like this track a lot more than the longtime hardcore fans, so i guess they are more able to take the track in as is. and how do i know they are casuals? just pulled it out of my ass idk.

anyway i think this a really great track and a great distinct enough addition to his discography, so hopefully there's more of this type!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, egggohan said:

I'm really enjoying the lead-off track. To me it gives Collapse + SAW II + Cheetah flavors arranged in a new configuration.

I think by the time we got Collapse, I have heard enough "post-comeback" RDJ to settle down my sense that we were going to get a brand new genre of electronic music from this guy once again. So once I was able to lay that expectation down, now I can just appreciate how incredibly elaborate, sophisticated, delicate, meticulous, and rich the stuff that he does decide to offer us nowadays is without wanting more. There are so many reasons to be obsessed with the work of Aphex Twin, chief among them the way that nobody can emulate his sound because it's so singular. That aspect can and will continue to persist. Anybody who tries to make anything that sounds like him just comes off as derivative and doesn't really yield any artistic fruit that is worth appreciating, in my honest opinion. When you take influence from Aphex, it should be from his spirit and not his aesthetics, because if you go for the latter you just sound like a biter.

But another reason why he was so important to me is because of the several great leaps forward he took in realizing totally new forms of music in the 90s and 00s. He's not going to make the same cultural impact now that he did when Didgeridoo, or SAW 85-92, or Hangable Auto Bulb, or SAW II, or ICBYD, or Melodies from Mars, or Come to Daddy or Drukqs had. He is still marching to the beat of his own drum, but the name of the game seems to be more combining his own flavors into new combinations now than it is trying not to repeat himself. And a world where three, four, five records worth of an incredible sound that is unmistakably the work of one person's mind that cannot be emulated exists instead of just one or two is a world I'm stoked to be in. He claimed the crown he always deserved when he came back in 2014 and if the king has something to say I'm gonna listen.

are u the dude who wrote that book about all afx songs?

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, cruising for burgers said:

are u the dude who wrote that book about all afx songs?

No, he's 34 and a quite OG member of here from "the before times".

Dude (AI probably) that wrote the aphex book is allegedly 17 years old.

5 hours ago, egggohan said:

I like to think that the 90s stuff wasn't him deliberately trying to make unique music. He was just making what was in him, and it was rarely aimed at needing to create a new genre or whatever. So now decades later when he is still just making the music he wants to make, which has much the same DNA as his 90s stuff, like he's always done, people can get the wrong impression that he is deliberately trying to make music no one has heard before. And that misconception can underwhelm people when they ASSUME he is concerned with making new genres, and not just making what comes naturally to him.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Pirtek said:

I probably play it more than you! Got it stuck in my head!! ?

Yeah last night it was going round and round in my head, so sleep was a bit difficult

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Yeah last night it was going round and round in my head, so sleep was a bit difficult

I've had that problem a few times. It's crazy! ??

Agree with Joyrex that though the vinyl is expensive, I think the pop-up artwork is really cool. I'm getting tempted to buy it. I'm sure after a few Saturday drinks that may well happen ?

• Like 4

On 6/22/2023 at 12:05 AM, auxien said:

i believe cop show dad funk was the phrase being bandied about after Syro.

this is my phrase, please credit the artist

my opinion on the new track: well, you know it already probably

• Haha 2