IGNORED

Barker - Unfixed

d-a-m-o

Sam Barker returns with his first solo EP since 2020’s BARKER002, this time on Oslo’s Smalltown Supersound. While Barker’s previous releases (2018’s Debiasing EP, 2019’s Utility LP) explored the possibilities of kickless dancefloor tracks, Unfixed sees him inverting the musical equation and exploring both the variability and sonic possibilities of a kick-drum – though the final result is not a concept EP.

The four tracks emerged from a session that started out as both a technical study in bass drum design and cognition, specifically problem of “functional fixedness”, which describes a mental block that restricts the use of an object to its traditional application. Exploring the so-called “generic parts technique”, whereby an object is broken down into its component parts to help reveal novel solutions, the typical bass drum elements of waveform, transient, and noise were re-combined through modular synthesis to become fluid, expressive and dynamic.

However, what began as a rule-based experiment was overtaken by a more organic music making process without specific conceptual constraints, which allowed the music to live and breathe. Tracks were started and then left unfinished, only to be approached again and again over lengthy intervals. Stylistically the result a mix of raw, stuttering, psychedelic growl, kosmische techno, and infinite iterations and of a single groove. In this regard, Unfixed sees Barker not only deeply invested in musical experimentation but also exploring his own biases in both composition and sound design. The result is, once again, a sound and musical framework all of his own.

Out August 25

• Like 7
  • Farnsworth 2

On 9/12/2019 at 2:26 PM, IDEM said:

It's a decent album, but some insolent part of me is still pining for Utility 2: The Basslines and Utility 3: The Kickdrums:tongue:

thx

• Haha 1

that write-up is truly terrible....i like hearing the ideas/process behind music if there's something to talk about, but anyway :derp: to the important part:

that first track is dope. very good stuff. hope the whole EP keeps up that energy

• Like 1

Great wrap to the summer months--Aphex end of July, Barker end of August, 0pn end of September???

I am become coom if true. 

This guy's always a solid worth checking out so yeah bring it.

Yeah that copy is usual pretentious tripe but you or I could go to bleep, p4k, discogs, boomkat, every other bandcamp, etc. and find drivel 10x worse in 10x quantity in 10x realtime, jus sayin'

[burger]Also my watmmuddled brain can only read this thread title as ?: Unfixed[/burger]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been relistening to Barkers back catalogue. Along with Skee Mask he's pretty much top tier electronic producer of today isn't he. Looking forward to this new release, the new track kicks in all the right spots. I've forgotten about the write up and won't read it again. As Richard says, electronic music isn't made to be talked about. The individual should interpret it themselves in any abstract way they choose.

Edited by beerwolf

On 7/27/2023 at 9:08 PM, beerwolf said:

Been relistening to Barkers back catalogue. Along with Skee Mask he's pretty much top tier electronic producer of today isn't he. Looking forward to this new release, the new track kicks in all the right spots. I've forgotten about the write up and won't read it again. As Richard says, electronic music isn't made to be talked about. The individual should interpret it themselves in any abstract way they choose.

https://youtube.com/@skeemask3013 if you like Skee Mask you might like his 

YouTube channel, hes always adding to it with new music recos

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been a wild year for releases. Aphex, Ae, OPN, Barker, Andrea, u-Ziq and that’s just off the top of my head. 

If Boards of Canada or Stars of the Lid decided to release a record that would just seem like the logical progression for 2023.

Edited by thedisavowed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thedisavowed said:

It’s been a wild year for releases. Aphex, Ae, OPN, Barker, Andrea, u-Ziq and that’s just off the top of my head. 

If Boards of Canada or Stars of the Lid decided to release a record that would just seem like the logical progression for 2023.

Agreed. Add Rrose, Godflesh, Alva Noto and Slowdive!!

16 hours ago, thedisavowed said:

whats Andrea in this list? not familiar