IGNORED

least favorite afx song

cruising for burgers

c'mon spill the beans... but at the same time use constructive criticism, like if you're giving tips in the YLC subforum... or not, just diss... worst afx track if you will...

I bet if Richard is lurking around the forum he's gonna find it interesting... just like u do when someone gives u feedback on one of your songs on YLC...

Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2010 at 10:36 PM, perunamuusi said:

listening for the first time now.....

4 - stupid. boring repetetive beats. sounds like it was programme don a QY 10. gay vocal sample

cornish acid - wtf is this rubbish? i cant dance to this.

PEEK 498738693678476593 or whatever - this is a joke right?

fingerbib - pretty cool i guess if your a stupid baby

corn mouth - more pointless filler

to cure a weakling child - more stupid music for babies. this is the gayest one yet

goon gumpas - sounds like some channel 4 documentary music. very gay

yellow calx - had to turn this one off after a few seconds

girlboy song - sounds like something an old lady would listen to except with some rubbish vebnetian snares rip off drums tacked on to it

logOn rock witch - wtf? morris dancing music hahahahahha this guy is a wasteman

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Burger 1
  • Big Brain 2

Blackbox Life Recorder 21f 

Nah just joking.. It must be the original Ventolin track tho. Sorry but can't take that tinnitus noise.. Turning it off right away! 

The Cylob remix is fucking lush tho! 

1 hour ago, Hail Sagan said:

You’re right. I knew it was one of the NQZ joints, and I think all of them were doing my head in. The only person who was super down with it if I recall correctly was Ivan Ooze.

honestly i actually really like the rest of Mt Fuji but the one i linked + Nqz Baby I just cannot stand

• Like 1

Bit. From an "Official release. You could change the topic name too because you're a twiddler. I don't care because you didn't say that ether. Bit. Here's a question for ya though. Has anyone sampled "Bit"?

RDJ told us in one of his soundcloud comments that when he first listened to MHTRTC by Boards of Canada, he liked it, but he found himself no longer wanting to make music that has this sombre, melancholic feeling. i guess he was talking about tracks like An Eagle In Your Mind, Turquoise Hexagon Sun, and Pete Standing alone. apparently this was quite a significant thing to him, and from that point onwards it changed his approach to mood and atmosphere in his music. (wish i could find the original quote)

i think it's fair to say that the sad, wistful melancholy vibing tracks by RDJ don't work very well. tracks like Slothscape (from soundcloud, which i think he actually commented was one of his least favourites) and then Nannou, which is a very pretty piece of sound design but not really very complex in terms of mood. i like Bbydhyonchord from drukqs but again, it's not very engaging and it sort of stays the same.

there are other, more developed tracks like Mt Saint Michael, meltphace6, IZ-US and Fenix Funk 5. these tracks don't just sound "sad", they explore rich and complicated emotional territory. i think the main difference is positivity - for example, the breakdown in Mt Saint Michael. there's a great deal of hope, and optimism, as though you've witnessed something very rare and precious. or, more generally, you could look at the playful energy (eg Fenix Funk) in which these moods are explored.

my least favourite RDJ track is probably Goodbye Rute. never understood what the big deal is, there are so few Tuss tracks. plus one of the new Tuss bonus tracks is basically the same track right?

we're gonna hear a lot about the noise tracks in this thread so don't you dare come near the KTPA tracks from Smojphace ? they are absolutely sublime. ktpa1 is much more interesting in the space of seven minutes than about 90% of Merzbow's output. it could've been done in one take, it stops the moment it gets even slightly boring.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

RDJ told us in one of his soundcloud comments that when he first listened to MHTRTC by Boards of Canada, he liked it, but he found himself no longer wanting to make music that has this sombre, melancholic feeling. i guess he was talking about tracks like An Eagle In Your Mind, Turquoise Hexagon Sun, and Pete Standing alone. apparently this was quite a significant thing to him, and from that point onwards it changed his approach to mood and atmosphere in his music. (wish i could find the original quote)

i think it's fair to say that the sad, wistful melancholy vibing tracks by RDJ don't work very well. tracks like Slothscape (from soundcloud, which i think he actually commented was one of his least favourites) and then Nannou, which is a very pretty piece of sound design but not really very complex in terms of mood. i like Bbydhyonchord from drukqs but again, it's not very engaging and it sort of stays the same.

there are other, more developed tracks like Mt Saint Michael, meltphace6, IZ-US and Fenix Funk 5. these tracks don't just sound "sad", they explore rich and complicated emotional territory. i think the main difference is positivity - for example, the breakdown in Mt Saint Michael. there's a great deal of hope, and optimism, as though you've witnessed something very rare and precious. or, more generally, you could look at the playful energy (eg Fenix Funk) in which these moods are explored.

my least favourite RDJ track is probably Goodbye Rute. never understood what the big deal is, there are so few Tuss tracks. plus one of the new Tuss bonus tracks is basically the same track right?

we're gonna hear a lot about the noise tracks in this thread so don't you dare come near the KTPA tracks from Smojphace ? they are absolutely sublime. ktpa1 is much more interesting in the space of seven minutes than about 90% of Merzbow's output. it could've been done in one take, it stops the moment it gets even slightly boring.

I love posts like this here! Watch out for the big mods coming with the usual "music is subjective" talk 

I never seen that comment he made about MHTRTC by BoC but really want to read about it now.. he have a very special mind set. 
Yes I also think this totally melancholy feeling is not RDJ's strength at all. 
The most important comment he made was something about him doing so much music and he was aware of everything
mostly being crap (Or a lot being crap) but of all his tracks some gems will be in there for sure!

Yes he strength is like you mention Mt Saint Michael even XMD5a, Fenix Funk 5, Rushup I Bank 12 etc.. Every track evolves and goes on in different stages. 
Is like going from one emotion to another.

Noise tracks is just experimental territory which is fine but I think least favorite is more like a very bad made track with yes no destination. 
But It is not Goodbye Rute. I can have that track on repeat..I understand for you maybe it is boring and melancholy but think about it like an ender B-side of a wild ride. 
Totally chill after the crazy Deathfuck track! 

I think the big deal of Goodbye Rute is the simplicity! And it just a repetitive dreamy synt track. 
GX-1 Solo is more "pointless" for me as it is more of a show off track because he owned the legendary GX1. 

I tried to recreate the Lead sound of GoodBye Rute with my own synth but I don't know if Im near the original: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, X4creek said:

honestly i actually really like the rest of Mt Fuji but the one i linked + Nqz Baby I just cannot stand

wife and I died laughing at this comment/video(s) - how have I never heard these tracks ?

On 7/16/2023 at 1:27 PM, Dragon said:

my least favourite RDJ track is probably Goodbye Rute. never understood what the big deal is, there are so few Tuss tracks.

wait a minute, uhhhh, there's gotta be way more shittier worse tracks in the dump...

imo, afaik, asap, lmao, tldr <- btw these should be Richard's songs titles...

Edited by cruising for burgers

On 7/16/2023 at 11:27 AM, Dragon said:

i think it's fair to say that the sad, wistful melancholy vibing tracks by RDJ don't work very well. 

This seems very wrong. They are his best tunes; Lichen, Rhubarb, Quino-Phec, Blue Calx, Red Calx, Pancake Lizard, Waxen Pith, Zeroes and Ones, Stone in Focus... There's an entire canon of masterfully melancholy Aphex. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I guess stuff the Cheetah stuff - it's not bad per se, but it's frustratingly emotionally neutral and lacking some kind of motivation or sensitivity - but at the same time it's just creative and interesting enough to make me want to "get it".

But I'm sure that in the right environment and in the right state of mind it would be perfect... I think, not sure

• Like 1

• 1 month later...