IGNORED

LFO/Mark Bell remixes, tracks on comps, etc... something I'm missing?

Hi guys,

I'm putting together stuff for my car audio. As for LFO tracks (see subject), is there anything important I'm missing?

My favourites are 1. Slow Down Speedy, 2. Planet Rock, 3. La Femme Chinoise, 4. Aftermath, 5. Positif

Afrika Bambaata- LFO∕Planet Rock (House Mix II) (Don't Stop ... Planet Rock - The Remix EP)
Art of Noise - Crusoe (The LFO mix) (The FON Mixes)
Björk - Hyperballad (LFO 3am Mix) (I Miss You (CD2))
Björk - Possibly Maybe (lucy mix) (Telegram)
Depeche Mode - Home (LFO Meant to Be Mix) (Ultra ∣ The 12 inch Singles)
Erasure - Love To Hate You (Lfo Modulated Filter Mix)
LFO - Change (Give Peace a Dance, Volume 2∶ The Ambient Collection)
LFO - Flu-Shot (Kringlan) (Untitled)
LFO - Lost World (WXAXRXP Box set)
LFO - Pathfinder (Untitled)
LFO - Robs Nightmare (WXAXRXP Box set)
LFO - Slow Down Speedy (Volume Three)
LFO - Take Control (WXAXRXP Box set)
LFO - To The Limit (WXAXRXP Box set)
Mark Bell - A Salute to Those People Who Say Fuck You (We Are Reasonable People)
Mr. Oizo - Positif (LFO Remix) (Positif)
Nightmares on Wax - Aftermath (LFO remix) (Aftermath)
Radiohead - Planet Telex (L.F.O. DJ Mix) (High and Dry∕Planet Telex Single)
yan_g - unt001 (Liverneck Remix By LFO) (Found Sound)
Yellow Magic Orchestra - La Femme Chinoise (The LFO Remix) (Hi-tech - No Crime)

• Like 2

Ah, wasn't aware of his aliases like Fawn, Space Monkey, Speedjack... More of a techno route there it seems, the LFO style industrial space alien sound not so much.

This and the other LFO remix on the b-side are excellent. I think it only got a vinyl release though. That said, Mark did a lot of remixes for a lot of artists you might not be aware of. His mix for !!! is excellent as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WurstPLUS said:

Haalp - Having a hard time finding "His mix for !!!" 

https://www.discogs.com/fr/master/68925--Vs-LFO-Me-Giuliani-Down-By-The-School-Yard-A-Remix

Great gnarly synth at the end.

An LFO remix I also like is Antipop Consortium's Ghostlawn one. It's also quite a compliment to them : your tune gets remixed by fucking Mark Bell and yet your original version sounds from even further away in the future.

Edited by aencre
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

LOL@Youtube comment on We are Back: "Wait a minute, is this the same LFO that did Summer Girls????"

Some interesting reads here:

https://909originals.com/2019/10/08/the-world-of-electronic-music-remembers-lfos-mark-bell-on-the-fifth-anniversary-of-his-passing/

Fully agree with this one, Mentok 1 is a dirty wall shaker, I loved to plague my parents with it:

MARK ARCHER (Altern-8)

[...] But Mentok 1 has always been my most favourite of their tunes. The dirtiness of that main hook noise and the heavy sub bass that always reminded me of the ship foghorns off Scooby Doo. Just a brilliant record

Also this one, about the LFO Leeds Warehouse Mix:
https://909originals.com/2020/07/26/interview-how-lfo-made-lfo-909originals-catches-up-with-gez-varley-on-the-30th-anniversary-of-a-techno-classic/

"As for the equipment used to make techno history? “I had an FZ10 sampler, Kawai K1 keyboard, Jen SX1000 keyboard, and a Speak and Spell kids’ toy, for the voice. Martin had an Atari ST computer and a small Fostex mixer and a couple of small Yamaha FX units. That was about it. It was really amazing to think what we came up with using only that gear. Sometimes less is more, more or less…”

Edited by WurstPLUS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

These are the Frequencies Era Non-Album Tracks/B-sides/Comp Tracks I have... (not including the Peel Sessions)

Screen Shot 2024-07-22 at 1.10.12 PM.png

Edited by hayhook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hayhook said:

ooooh would love to hear those recoil remixes.

Where would he put it, I guess Bandcamp?

AFAIK he eg. uploaded that Paris live CD for a short time l there.

16 minutes ago, WurstPLUS said:

Where would he put it, I guess Bandcamp?

AFAIK he eg. uploaded that Paris live CD for a short time l there.

He said Mute owns this so he has no control over it 

• 5 weeks later...

Late 90s, I bought (direct from Gez Varley) an album (or mini-album?) on cassette titled "EX23"

No tracklisting that I can remember.  Cover used similar/same typeface as the original LFO logotype.

I lost the tape some time after, no copy.

I can't find anything online, at all, about it.

Anyone remember, has a copy?

I have some old unreleased stuff he sent me a long time ago on a backup somewhere. Might try to find them and share if that's cool, I dunno really?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That last one is from a relatively unknown (LOL) Mark Bell -involved production. I was devastated when Mark Bell died.

On 7/22/2024 at 8:40 PM, WurstPLUS said:

Paris live CD

That's a fucking horrible LFO release due to the completely redunculous artificial crowd noise.

• Thanks 1