IGNORED

Gez Varley legal action against warp

d-a-m-o

I wonder exactly how he (and possibly other artists) were "ripped off" by WARP - I would hope that by this point he's discussed this with them and tried to work things out (I am almost certain it probably has to do with contract language regarding residuals) before taking his grievances public.

Varley put out an LFO release (with the black LFO cover) on his own Bandcamp page a few days ago, with LFO (Leeds Warehouse Mix) and 3-4 other LFO tracks that have a Written-By credit for him (Mashed Potato, Syndrome, something, something) - I had it on my wishlist and now it's gone, so I suppose Warp issued a takedown, and Varley took umbrage.

1 hour ago, dcom said:

Varley put out an LFO release (with the black LFO cover) on his own Bandcamp page a few days ago, with LFO (Leeds Warehouse Mix) and 3-4 other LFO tracks that have a Written-By credit for him (Mashed Potato, Syndrome, something, something) - I had it on my wishlist and now it's gone, so I suppose Warp issued a takedown, and Varley took umbrage.

Ahh... I guess since he was once 1/2 of LFO, he thinks he's entitled to sell LFO material outside of the publisher.

4 minutes ago, psn said:

The tweet mentions things that happened 25-30 years ago, though. 

Possibly - although it could do with contractual language that is vague in how artists can self-publish or sell their own work (keep in mind there was no internet back in those days, so the likelihood of an artist self-publishing was almost never likely to happen.

These are just guesses, mind - I have no knowledge of how early WARP contracts were structured then, or now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,I'm trying to raise money for my unpaid royalites which are owed to me from the record label for my 1990 hit record LFO which reached number 12 in the UK gallup charts and number 10 in the network charts .The record sold over 130 000 copies and I'm personally still owed around 20k for the record .Please donate a £1 if you can this money will enable me to continue working as a Music producer and write more great dance music in the future ... many thanks Gez Varley

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/gezvarleylfo

23 minutes ago, goDel said:

Sincere question, btw. Any good post-LFO tunes?

I've been partial to Beautiful (the whole album), it's a bit aged at 20+ years, but. Varley recently self-released it in digital, there's quite a bit of material he's put up on Bandcamp recently.

As far as I know, Quo Vadis was something of a hit in the dub techno circles back in the day.

I've been caning House Of Vettii's Tunnel Dub Mix in my techno sets, the original's a bit lacklustre but the remix is a beast.

2 hours ago, dcom said:

I've been partial to Beautiful (the whole album), it's a bit aged at 20+ years, but. Varley recently self-released it in digital, there's quite a bit of material he's put up on Bandcamp recently.

As far as I know, Quo Vadis was something of a hit in the dub techno circles back in the day.

I've been caning House Of Vettii's Tunnel Dub Mix in my techno sets, the original's a bit lacklustre but the remix is a beast.

Quo Vadis was quite a big techno record. He did some nice stuff on Force Inc. in the late 90s/early 00's. No idea what he has done since then.

Amazing that you can just post some stuff about how you were wronged then start a crowd funding project and the money flows in. Don't really care about the Warp issue or whether he did/didn't get paid, etc, I just think the phenomenon is amazing.

Archived