IGNORED

My first vinyl confession - first CD

OK guys, things on my chest, I need to confess... my first record was the 12" of this:

I'm feeling better now. 

My first CD:

Both, first record player from the 80s and my first CD player, must be from the beginning of the 90s, still work but I never use them.

• Like 6

My parents bought records for me and my brothers like the Ghostbusters soundtrack and superman music, stuff like that, when we were really little but the first record I bought for myself was probably Black Moth Super Rainbow.  I got into vinyl later in life.

First CD was the down in it single by NIN, first cassettes were Boyz 2 Men "Cooleyhighharmony" and Rage Against the Machine s/t.

• Like 2

I actually got into music buying kinda late.. my first music purchase (cassette) was Suzanne Vega's 'Blood Makes Noise' single from Tower Records.

First vinyl record I owned was Xylem Tube (Aphex Twin), and first CD was Violator by Depeche Mode.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EdamAnchorman said:

when we were really little but the first record I bought for myself was probably Black Moth Super Rainbow.

Hell yeah

My first record was a reissue of SAW85-92 and my first CD was Logos by Atlas Sound.

Edited by milkface
  • Like 2

The first vinyl record I bought with my own money was Thriller 

The first cassette I bought was Electro 5 on the Streetsounds Label

The first CD I bought was Appetite For Destruction

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 3

1st record was either t4f's 'songs from the big chair', or new order's 'lowlife', carnt q rember.

1st cd💿 - could well've been: 

On 7/24/2024 at 11:51 AM, WurstPLUS said:

OK guys, things on my chest, I need to confess... my first record was the 12" of this:

I'm feeling better now. 

My first CD:

Both, first record player from the 80s and my first CD player, must be from the beginning of the 90s, still work but I never use them.

I see zero shame in buying that technotronic single. It’s a classic and still slaps. 

My first album was probably Bon Jovi “slippery when wet” (on cassette) and the first album I bought with my own money was Weird Al “even worse” (also on cassette).
I think my first CD may have been the Wayne’s World soundtrack. It may have been a part of a Columbia House (remember that??) assortment with Metallica “and justice for all”, Slayer “seasons in the abyss”, and a few other cds. 
I think my first vinyl purchase must have been a pixies record some time in the early 90’s. It might have been the gigantic single. Can’t remember the 90s too clearly 😵‍💫 …I do remember I didn’t have a working record player a the time and I was collecting all of the Pixies releases, many of which were vinyl only. 

edit

my first jungle purchase…

spacer.png

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

My first 7" was something by (I think) The Clash. I bought it from Luton and Dunstable hospital fête because I liked the sleeve. However, I left it (and a football) with my shoes while I went on the bouncy castle. Afterwards, the record (and the football) were gone. My shoes were thankfully not stolen. I was probably about 7.

My first 12" single purchase was "OK Fred" by Errol Dunkley. I paid 20p at a Bring 'n Buy sale at my infant school. I was probably about 7.

It was some years before I could afford to buy my first brand new album which was "Strictly Business" by EPMD.  I still listen to it pretty regulalrly. It's one of the best hip hop records of all time. I would've been 15 by then.

I had only really bought albums on tape before that. No idea what my first tape purchase was. Probably one of the earlier StreetSounds Electro comps when I was about 10 or 11?

I now have the vinyl version framed on the wall in my living room.

20240608_182919.thumb.jpg.783c5dea1425c43e9f92cb94c56a8b7d.jpg

I don't think I bought a brand new CD until at least 2001. It was either Drukqs, or Wasted Sunday by Ovuca whichever came out first. I have since lost the Drukqs CD. 

I was 28 by then.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Must say I never bought 7". For the kids <30 amongst you: There was a clear concept of 7" vs. "Maxi Single" where they put an extended version (plus maybe the short one, maybe a b-side) on a 12" 45rpm vinyl, as opposed to the 7", which had a short album version, better for radio broadcast e.g... The long version, that was sometimes good, sometimes bad, i.e. the songs were just lazily stretched.

So 12" was for the cool guys. The elite guys bought the remix on 12" additionally, where there were the more experimental takes.

Haha yeah, my first classical music CD was of course Beethoven 5, late Karajan, that Karajan Gold one.

11 hours ago, beerwolf said:

The first CD I bought was Appetite For Destruction

Damn fine one.

Edited by WurstPLUS
  • Thanks 1

Mine was Q Sound - Good Night The Return in '95, can't remember the first cd, I used to listen to my bros tapes and cds, I remember one of them having De La Soul -3 Feet High & Rising I think I still have that record,and another brother having Nirvana -Never Mind, I still have that too, and another brother giving me a lift in his car with a tape in his Honda civic with The Prodigy - Everybody In To The Place and Charley and Silvah Bullit - 20 Seconds To Comply and Seal/Adamski - Killer on it. The first brother with the De La Soul vinyl had a CD compilation called Rave 92 it changed my mind it was incredible, that changed me I stopped listening to Guns N Roses and was a raver from there forth

• Like 3

First records (parents bought space age love song and electric avenue 7”s) first personal purchase, Rio (cassette). First CD Disintegration. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, perunamuusi said:

My first 7" was something by (I think) The Clash. I bought it from Luton and Dunstable hospital fête because I liked the sleeve. However, I left it (and a football) with my shoes while I went on the bouncy castle. Afterwards, the record (and the football) were gone. My shoes were thankfully not stolen. I was probably about 7.

Hahaha big up the L&D I was very nearly born there.

On 7/24/2024 at 8:06 PM, EdamAnchorman said:

My parents bought records for me and my brothers like the Ghostbusters soundtrack and superman music, stuff like that, when we were really little but the first record I bought for myself was probably Black Moth Super Rainbow.  I got into vinyl later in life.

First CD was the down in it single by NIN, first cassettes were Boyz 2 Men "Cooleyhighharmony" and Rage Against the Machine s/t.

Since you posted this I've had this one on so many times hadn't heard it in so long

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, milkface said:

Hahaha big up the L&D I was very nearly born there.

Since you posted this I've had this one on so many times hadn't heard it in so long

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 12:55 PM, hayhook said:

First CD Disintegration. 

woah. same.

Xmas '91 parents got me a boombox w/CD player, threw in a Bob Seger CD (haha) 'cause that's the shit they listened to. said it's ok if I wanted to exchange it, which ofc I did... Close to Me 1990 mix was big on the radio at the time, this led me to the available Cure CD's. I didn't know the name of the song, looked at the back of CD's for release dates. Disintegration was the most recent one they had, so I assumed it would be on it. I remember I was initially mad it wasn't on there, but it had Pictures of You and other tunes I knew from the radio, not a total loss!

*bonus CD nostalgia - those oversized cardboard boxes they used to come in

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 7:42 PM, perunamuusi said:

My first 12" single purchase was "OK Fred" by Errol Dunkley. I paid 20p at a Bring 'n Buy sale at my infant school. I was probably about 7.

It was some years before I could afford to buy my first brand new album which was "Strictly Business" by EPMD.  I still listen to it pretty regulalrly. It's one of the best hip hop records of all time. I would've been 15 by then.

I had only really bought albums on tape before that. No idea what my first tape purchase was. Probably one of the earlier StreetSounds Electro comps when I was about 10 or 11?

I don't think I bought a brand new CD until at least 2001. It was either Drukqs, or Wasted Sunday by Ovuca whichever came out first. I have since lost the Drukqs CD. 

I was 28 by then.

Ah, OMD's Dazzle Ships - one of my favourites

• Like 1

The first CD I bought with my own money was Cereal Killer Soundtrack by Green Jellÿ.

R-1658532-1385910258-8013.jpg.dff76c2fccd4e54a828065d20f438875.jpg

I didn't start buying vinyl untill sometime in 99/00. My first one was a used copy of My Little Beautyful by b!z-h.

R-32857-1600683327-4639.jpg.6b6c08216069f0d831ff8302aa3404a4.jpg

a week ago I bought the Three Little Pigs CD single at a garage sale for 50 cents. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Ah, OMD's Dazzle Ships - one of my favourites

I prefer Architecture and Morality (I have 2 copies on vinyl) but the Dazzle Ships sleeve worked better in conjunction with the other 2 (I thought)

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 1:42 AM, perunamuusi said:

I was 28 by then.

From that D, Lord of...

On 7/31/2024 at 12:59 AM, NewSchoolScience said:

First CD: The Shamen - En-tact

First vinyl: The Black Dog - Bytes

The shamen?? Typical brexit geezer

• Haha 1