IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

38237735801_49bfc35ab0_b.jpg

Latest addition (po-32). This thing is crazy, especially if you love Microtonic and know how to use it. It also sounds surprisingly good and loud.

I just made 8 sounds and several 10/12/14 steps pattern chains (to see how would they translate to 16 steps of po-32) in Microtonic at work in 15 minutes before my way to home. Then i added some more patterns en route via tram. And then i recorded this at home to test it's output.

https://clyp.it/nnys1tcb

Yes it is

The enclosure looks fantastic!  How do you like it?  I was right on the edge of building one but I decided a Tanzmaus will fit better with what I'm doing these days (will have the last of the money saved up for it as of midnight tonight!) but I'm still really interested in the LXR, it seems like a really good machine.

LXR is cool and pretty capable. There are some quirks though. It can produce clicks if you retrig kick with long tail. There are some strange things with 'perfomance' loading and so on. Anyways i use it a lot so i can't even recall a track that doesn't have it.

• 2 months later...

Very simple and efficient, thawkins.

Mine's a little cluttered, but I like it. I got the Roland S760 up and running, trying to get the most out of that right now by loading it with breaks. It has an auto truncate/normalize function which saves a lot of time when sampling since editing on the S760 is SO SLOW! The monitor and mouse are pretty cute. I haven't figured out how to assign break slices to individual MIDI note triggers on a single MIDI channel yet. The manual is 300+ pages filled with a lot of features I'm not that interested in. Yet, anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/9VZHMle.gifv

• 2 months later...

Finally got everything pretty much sorted. Using Ableton to record but everything is now sequenced and made with hardware. Very much enjoying it.a2ee0fdb333a8c04e85842ba1f03e021.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-A320FL mit Tapatalk

The Waldorf 2-pole is still one of the best things in my set up. Gives such great colour to the sound. Would recommend everyone getting one. Still getting to know the blue sky but to be honest it doesn't take much to get a good sound.

Also been using a Grace M103 pre amp at work to run some drum tracks through, the EQ on it is fantastic. Has a three band EQ which is quite broad but does so much. Not only the eq but also widens the stereo space immensely.

The DFAM is incredible too. Far more versatile than I was expecting. I'm having to multitrack some stuff to really build things up which it's kinda shitty if you wanted to do live stuff, obviously need more than one which I just can't afford, but if you have the patience to take the time to multitrack the results are wonderful. Shame that you need a couple to achieve the same results for live work/jamming but in general it's really a great machine. At least for the music I'm trying to make.

Finally got everything pretty much sorted. Using Ableton to record but everything is now sequenced and made with hardware. Very much enjoying it.

That looks like a nice and powerful setup. What's the mixer looking thing on the top?

Kjmz0Ji.jpg

Are you trying to catch that moment when that precariously set TV finally drops on the floor? Or am I just too used to living in earthquake country and worrying about trite stuff like that. :)

Finally got everything pretty much sorted. Using Ableton to record but everything is now sequenced and made with hardware. Very much enjoying it.

That looks like a nice and powerful setup. What's the mixer looking thing on the top?

That's the Vermona DRM mk3 drum machine. 8 channel analogue drum machine. First piece of hardware I bought. Was considering selling it but love it too much. I still need to buy a few more cables to hook up the individual channel outputs into the patchbay, basically the last thing missing from the setup, but I can still work without them for now.

The Waldorf 2-pole is still one of the best things in my set up. Gives such great colour to the sound. Would recommend everyone getting one. Still getting to know the blue sky but to be honest it doesn't take much to get a good sound.

Also been using a Grace M103 pre amp at work to run some drum tracks through, the EQ on it is fantastic. Has a three band EQ which is quite broad but does so much. Not only the eq but also widens the stereo space immensely.

What are you using the 2-pole on? I've heard lots of good about it. That and the Rocket plus a Blofeld to match my Pulse 2 would make a hell of a Waldorf corner :)

Kjmz0Ji.jpg

Nice, I like that old tan speaker. TV looks like it's about to fall tho lol

I guess it does look precarious,it's actually completely solid up there (that monitor stand thing it's on is stupidly heavy, it actually weighs more than the monitor itself and isn't going anywhere) but it was just there for the day, I only use it for video feedback. After work today it'll be stuck back in a corner on top of some homemade speakers where it usually lives.

The speakers are great, it's my second set and these are in much better shape even though the older ones I had before looked nicer.  A neighbor a couple apartments ago was getting rid of them and I replaced the surrounds on the woofers and have been using them ever since.

"powerful" is all relative, that's a bunch of stuff that was either already in or on the way to the garbage over the years.  The video switcher is the only thing I actually bought, $80 shipped a couple years ago.  Actually almost everything in that photo was someone else's trash at some point, including the plants.  The only things I actually got new were the fabric for the curtains and that cheap Ikea wire rack I'm using as a stand for the turntable. Oh, and I guess I bought the crappy little Korg tuner over by the lava lamp. And the guitar I built, so the wood and parts for that were new. Everything else is salvage of one kind or another.

That was set up for more essentially the video version of a mixer-feedback noise set, a couple of cameras and a low end VGA to composite converter all running in to the switcher and set up in a few different feedback paths, some from the Commodore monitor through the cameras and some just by patching some of the switcher outputs to inputs.  Nothing serious, kind of using an in-joke with a few people as an excuse to get off my ass and actually practice this stuff, I was getting in to it at my last apartment but I had no space at all  so I never really got very far.

EDIT: just to be pedantic, there's also a capo up by the turntable I bought new in high school. Getting cheap/free crap is a serious art and I wouldn't want to oversell my skill.  There are probably a few records I bought new visible in there, too.

Edited by RSP

Looks really nice, but with that speaker placement your desk should be a couple of meters further back, no? Why so wide?

Moved in with Madame, so my studio's now in the living room. I wanted to find an elegant and convinient way to have my gear, so I built myself that desk. I'm also building a few acoustic panels I can move around when/if needed:

post-8398-0-45289700-1525625267_thumb.jpg

post-8398-0-71159600-1525625275_thumb.jpg

Moved in with Madame, so my studio's now in the living room. I wanted to find an elegant and convinient way to have my gear, so I built myself that desk. I'm also building a few acoustic panels I can move around when/if needed:

le monitoring de la violence ! et du coup bye bye le seaboard ?

@darreichungsform: thank you!

@D4M0: hehe complètement ;) It's always been all about monitoring to me, and the Amphions deliver plenty : best purchase I've ever made. I sold the Rise a few months ago, I struggled to make it work in the context of a track. It was a great bit of kit to jam with though. Besides, I'm willing to compose/produce much more minimalist tunes, so I'm all good using a generic keyboard and the Expressive E Touché you can see on the left of the MIDI KB. Now I just have to figure out how to finish a tune... and then an EP/LP/liveset/whatever. I have a clear idea of the tunes I want to write, now it's all about finding the right balance between what I want and what I can (aka the never ending challenge hehe)

Nil, round 2008 I went to an actual, working, ostensibly professional project studio in Boston and they had a big, 72 channel analog board set up along one of the long walls of a long, thin room, with the monitors 12 feet away from the board, at a 90 degree angle to it, 4 feet apart on a table.  Also the control room was three times the size of the live room, and I use "room" in the loosest sense because there was no actual isolation or even walls between the two, just two sets of shelves with a board between them, that ended a couple of feet from the ceiling.  On the other side of the board was where they tacked drums and amps.

But again, it was a working studio that was in a rented commercial space and operated as a business.