IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

On 10/31/2023 at 10:02 AM, Squee said:

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 17.59.54.png

Almost done with the new studio. Still need to set up my rear speakers and there's some pretty nasty flutter right above my listening postion which makes sense when you look at the naked ass walls right above the long absorbers. So I need to build some extra absorbers and maybe two extra clouds.
But it's finally sounding a LOT better!

This looks so slick. It's beyond my imagination to be that organized. My studio is developing into a future episode of Hoarders.

On 7/12/2023 at 6:46 AM, chronical said:

image.thumb.png.1983ce1fd8e2cda0b0ce894465ae59b6.png

image.thumb.png.5216fafbff1a96563c0d3863855d9b16.png

took these yesterday.. if anyone's curious how it works I would love to explain it :sorcerer:

So cozy looking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCONES TO DIE FOR said:

This looks so slick. It's beyond my imagination to be that organized. My studio is developing into a future episode of Hoarders.

Haha, thanks!
I need to be fairly organized or at least try to be so I can get some work done. But it can be a fucking mess when I'm busy. You can barely see it, but there's actually a frying pan, that I recorded the sound of for a tv commercial, hidden somewhere in that photo

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 6:02 PM, Squee said:

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 17.59.54.png

Almost done with the new studio. Still need to set up my rear speakers and there's some pretty nasty flutter right above my listening postion which makes sense when you look at the naked ass walls right above the long absorbers. So I need to build some extra absorbers and maybe two extra clouds.
But it's finally sounding a LOT better!

Looks lovely!

I have a question tho… does that light repel mosquitoes? 

Edited by xox

1 hour ago, xox said:

Looks lovely!

I have a question tho… does that light repel mosquitoes? 

Haha. No.
Well, there are a lot of mosquitos where we live now, but there are no mosquitos in my studio.

• Burger 1

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Bubba69 said:

monitors on the floor!?

lol yes - and they are right next to each other, so stereo depth is shit. Feel like it would take deliberate effort to design such a poor monitoring situation. They are not bad starter monitors either, Yamaha H7s. I got them in the hope of one day having a better space. I mostly mix with headphones and then check things in the car and also on laptop speakers and shittier headphones. I also read an interview with James Brown where he said that he knew a song was finished by the way the speakers thumped, and I often use this tactic to check low end. Obviously in such a room it is risky business but still worth doing. Gonna be moving soon and I might have more space, was thinking of getting two of those little monitor stands so I can spread them out behind the desk.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cern said:

Love it so simple and clean setup! could need a little bit bigger space or just 2 stands for the monitors. 

What sound card is that? Oh love the MF Doom posters 

Thanks! It’s an Audient id22 (I think, forget the exact model but it’s the one with two xlr inputs). I have an old Apollo duo as well, not in the pic, that I use just for dsp. Love their reverbs, delays, compressors, and tape machine plugins.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

Thanks! It’s an Audient id22 (I think, forget the exact model but it’s the one with two xlr inputs). I have an old Apollo duo as well, not in the pic, that I use just for dsp. Love their reverbs, delays, compressors, and tape machine plugins.

stands help. I ended up selling my larger monitors tho because my room treatment situation is garbage and the bass just effect up my whole deal. I mix on headphones now too. The tech for emulating studio monitoring setups in headphones has gotten really good in the last few years and I can hear things better than I've ever been able to hear with real monitors in a shitty room

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, auxien said:

IMG_5056.thumb.jpeg.4d119375a5bcaf363a4f566f2b68f625.jpeg

doing some tweaking in the studio and liked the synchronicity of this arrangement.

Very nice but where’s your sequencer?! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xox said:

Very nice but where’s your sequencer?! 

Screenshot2024-03-05at6_32_53AM.thumb.png.c53ef6c37a3a3ae0369487992d16b9d6.png

hidden right there in plain sight....

jkjk i'm using the Squarp Hapax most of the time right now (still dabbling with Ableton as sequencer sometimes too) which is all out of shot. the whole studio's in a general state of messiness as i'm trying to get things re-ordered but i really liked this little section when i figured out these 4 lined up like that.

i may end up using the Evolver & arp on the Pulse 2 as sub-sequencers at times like i've done in the past, those two are some of the oldest companions of mine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auxien said:

Screenshot2024-03-05at6_32_53AM.thumb.png.c53ef6c37a3a3ae0369487992d16b9d6.png

hidden right there in plain sight....

jkjk i'm using the Squarp Hapax most of the time right now (still dabbling with Ableton as sequencer sometimes too) which is all out of shot. the whole studio's in a general state of messiness as i'm trying to get things re-ordered but i really liked this little section when i figured out these 4 lined up like that.

i may end up using the Evolver & arp on the Pulse 2 as sub-sequencers at times like i've done in the past, those two are some of the oldest companions of mine.

Uuu nice! I’ve thought of getting a hapax too but atm i have two elektron boxes, with another two coming in soon so, I’ll wait a bit… shall see 

I always wanted an evolver or similar machine but eventually I bought an OB-6 keyboard that satisfied all my dave smith cravings 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xox said:

I always wanted an evolver or similar machine but eventually I bought an OB-6 keyboard that satisfied all my dave smith cravings 

I have always gassed for an OB-6 desktop. I have the P5 desktop reissue and love it, but the OB-6 has a different filter and more options for modulating things at audio rate and getting weird sounds. Curious if you still use the OB-6 a lot and discover new things/sounds with it when using?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, decibal cooper said:

I have always gassed for an OB-6 desktop. I have the P5 desktop reissue and love it, but the OB-6 has a different filter and more options for modulating things at audio rate and getting weird sounds. Curious if you still use the OB-6 a lot and discover new things/sounds with it when using?

And I always wanted the p5 (actually, p10 keyboard 🙂 )!!! I much prefer the keyboard version tho; it has a fantastic interface, couldn’t possibly be better imo

yes, i still use my ob-6 all the time; i rarely ever record anything, id just turn  it on and play with it for hours, just to relieve the accumulated stress and i haven’t found a musical instrument better for that; except maybe Soma Lyra 8 and some of my semi-custom-made noise boxes 🙂

and yes, funny enough but i discover new things all the time 

Nothing fancy but if you’d like to hear it in action, check out the last two tracks from this album: (first track has much more of the onboard distortion and the second one is soaked in reverb but played completely live)

https://notein.bandcamp.com/album/salire

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, xox said:

And I always wanted the p5 (actually, p10 keyboard 🙂 )!!! I much prefer the keyboard version tho; it has a fantastic interface, couldn’t possibly be better imo

yes, i still use my ob-6 all the time; i rarely ever record anything, id just turn  it on and play with it for hours, just to relieve the accumulated stress and i haven’t found a musical instrument better for that; except maybe Soma Lyra 8 and some of my semi-custom-made noise boxes 🙂

and yes, funny enough but i discover new things all the time 

Nothing fancy but if you’d like to hear it in action, check out the last two tracks from this album: (first track has much more of the onboard distortion and the second one is soaked in reverb but played completely live)

https://notein.bandcamp.com/album/salire

Sounds great, thanks for sharing this! The distortion sounds awesome in Warme Welle, warm but also really crunchy in how it works with the melodic lines you sequenced/played. In the past, I have rarely used onboard effects on hardware synths (preferring the flexibility of plugin effects), but that distortion sounds really good, and I also remember reading or watching an OB-6 review and they were saying that the onboard ring modulator is also analog and is modeled after some original Oberheim ringmod module.

The P5 is incredible, do not think I will ever get rid of it. When I make songs, I usually make melodies and chord progressions in piano roll with an init patch, and then I program the patch after I have a sequence that I like. With the P5, I sometimes get lost in just listening to a very basic filtered saw wave, no other modulations or bells and whistles. Just sounds so damn good in it's most basic state. Taking advantage of polymod takes it to a whole other level too, and I understand that the OB-6 has this module as well, although it is called x-mod instead of polymod. The P5 also has a 'source mix' parameter that adds a lot of depth to this basic synth, where you can adjust continuously how much of the modulation source is coming from the LFO versus the noise oscillator, blend them together on whichever destinations you choose. Highly recommended piece of kit. Dave Smith must have been on fire when he designed that thing back in the day. More than any other piece of gear I've played, it has a sound and interface that is inspiring even in its simplicity and limited specs (compared with most other modern polysynths).

• Like 1

@decibal cooper

yes, the ring modulator is great on the ob-6, the stereo analog distortion even more. Beside those two, i usually use phasers (3 kinds) and a bbd delay; all very useful 

re: p5

it’s a beautiful beast that im planning to buy in the near future. 
thats the thing with high quality analog synths, they’re simply always useful and rewarding, especially dave smith designs (tbh, i was never into moog or any other analog synths); sequential synths are flawless imo 🙂

• Like 1

PXL_20240303_194359858.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.f11fbfcddf742dfb8e311937d842d198.jpg

Old BASF 8100 Hifi Tape Deck. Picked it up at a house clearance. Literally had to wipe the old rubber bands out of the electronics with rubbing alcohol, very messy. Cleaned everything, fixed some weird looking soldering points and plastic damage. Now everything work fine again. Tested it with some afx. I like what I'm hearing. Potentially the best vintage tape deck i own. There's something to the sound it has, nice low end, but also very transparent. Even just routing audio through it without recording does something to the sound. Very inspiring.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

my current workspace. Happy with the sqm, but it needs lots of soundproofing/insulation. The idea is to fit in there an electronic drumkit, an acoustic drumkit, synths, etc. Will post more pics from the final setup, any suggestions hit me

IMG_20240329_220329_110.jpg

• Like 5