IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

On 9/30/2023 at 1:29 AM, o00o said:

IMG_1729.thumb.webp.471fe12e4c3914438de5238f8262554b.webpIMG_1730.thumb.jpeg.02f74e6026584ff601b4671b68496456.jpeg

We are legion keeps getting recommended to me....tell me more

The last four I've read are the 3 Body Problem, Children of Time, Hyperion and The Dispossessed. 

All amazing. 

Considering Nettle and Bone but kind of looks a bit fantasy which I'm not a fan of....I guess I like 'hard sci-fi' if that's actually a thing.

A Memory Called Empire, Consider Phlebas and Childhood's End are all on my list

13 minutes ago, aderei said:

We are legion keeps getting recommended to me....tell me more

its nice. Would make a fun movie but don't expect anything too fancy. I did not finish it yet as it got a bit stale during the 2nd part. still a fun read 

just got this one. I was pretty sceptic at first due to the big font size and the abstract writing but I like it a lot actually. 

Rick Rubin - The Creative Act: A Way of Being. Bleep.

Edited by o00o
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, o00o said:

just got this one. I was pretty sceptic at first due to the big font size and the abstract writing but I like it a lot actually. 

I'm also a fan. I like reading a few "chapters" every so often in between other things I'm reading. he's great at pointing out really obvious stuff most of us probably have a good idea of, but have difficulty articulating about the creative process. it actually inspired me to start recording music again, as opposed to constantly noodling about.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 4:56 AM, aderei said:

Children of Time

Fuck me that was a solid read. Have you read the other two? Really hope Tchaikovsky keeps things going in that series, though I understand it runs the risk of turning into a "hyperintelligent creepy crawly of the week" thing

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 11:15 PM, zazen said:

"Children of Time" ...

Yep can't recommend Children of Time enough. Glad you enjoyed it @aderei and @Walter Ostanek

@Walter Ostanek The other two in that series are also solid, but different, as a trilogy should be. Perhaps not as stellar as the first but taking the theme and going different places with it. The second book is fairly horrific in parts. The third book goes in a somewhat fantasy direction, but still rooted in the same universe.

Adrian Tchaikovsky's architect series (starts with Shards of Earth) is also good - like big space opera with a band of misfits getting caught up in the enormous action. Its like 'ok this is a big space opera with a band of misfits' but he executes it VERY well.

@aderei I read We Are Legion, its kindof got some nice ideas and the first few chapters are strong but then the second two thirds become like a cartoon, like contrived situations, weak characers, and telling you whats happening instead of showing you whats happening. Like the author is a coder originally so its kindof like you would imagine sci-fi written by a coder to be like. Its not crap but its not in the same league as "proper" writers.

Edited by zazen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zazen said:

@Walter Ostanek The other two in that series are also solid, but different, as a trilogy should be. Perhaps not as stellar as the first but taking the theme and going different places with it. The second book is fairly horrific in parts. The third book goes in a somewhat fantasy direction, but still rooted in the same universe.

Adrian Tchaikovsky's architect series (starts with Shards of Earth) is also good - like big space opera with a band of misfits getting caught up in the enormous action. Its like 'ok this is a big space opera with a band of misfits' but he executes it VERY well.

I thought the 2nd and 3rd both had some fantastic ideas in them. Detailed dives into drastically different forms of intelligence. I found the end of the 3rd one crushingly depressing though and, well, almost pointless, after seeing how much the Enkidu crew suffered, only for it to turn out that *spoilers*.

Ditto the deference to some kind of Prime Directive ethic in parts of the 3rd book just seemed weird, given that the first two books were about as antithetical to that as possible. I get that the "we're going on an adventure" fellas didn't want to homogenise cultures/civilisations out of existence, but I struggled with the leap from that to "let's just watch them die"

Not read any of his other series, it's kinda daunting seeing how many books he pumps out. Feel like I'd enjoy the Tyrant Philosophers, though.

Oh right when you wrote "Really hope Tchaikovsky keeps things going in that series" I took it to mean you hadn't read 2 and 3. But what you're saying is, you hope there's a 4 and 5 etc...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zero said:

I'm also a fan. I like reading a few "chapters" every so often in between other things I'm reading. he's great at pointing out really obvious stuff most of us probably have a good idea of, but have difficulty articulating about the creative process. it actually inspired me to start recording music again, as opposed to constantly noodling about.

Yeah exactly he really points to these core issues you get stuck during the creative process and how to change your mindset about it. I don’t know any book that does it in a similar way

I read Kazuo Ishiguro's The Unconsoled without having any kind of prior knowledge about what kind of book it is and was very confused 👍 At about page 200 I started to realize that this isn't just a preface to the actual plot but there is no conventional plot at all. If you've ever had a nightmare where you need to do something important but all kinds of small obstacles just fall into your path to distract you then this is pretty much that in a book form.👍

On 3/31/2024 at 1:24 PM, milkface said:

image.thumb.png.eaeb438b2e46a3818e8a8295642cf692.png

How is it? BJM is great and Joel always comes across as a funny and humble dude. Hopefully the stories contained within won’t incite another of Anton’s violent temper tantrums. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hail Sagan said:

How is it? BJM is great and Joel always comes across as a funny and humble dude. Hopefully the stories contained within won’t incite another of Anton’s violent temper tantrums. 

It's so good! Love the way in which he describes places and anecdotes it's as if you're remembering with him. It's well written and is a really fun insight into the band's early days.

Hahahh good point! I think Anton's okay with it because I think some editions come with a foreword by him - I would definitely recommend reading 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 9:37 AM, thejewk said:

I'm rereading some Lovecraft while waiting for a Thomas Ligotti anthology to arrive.

I'm about halfway through Songs + Grimscribe

It's ok. A little goes a long way. I find if I binge too many of them at once it gets a bit samey and meh. I do enjoy the very fiddly/intricate prose though.

• Like 1

I've seen both dune films 

Books still worth it?

On 3/13/2024 at 3:39 PM, Walter Ostanek said:

Fuck me that was a solid read. Have you read the other two? Really hope Tchaikovsky keeps things going in that series, though I understand it runs the risk of turning into a "hyperintelligent creepy crawly of the week" thing

Loved it. Got the other two planned. 

4 minutes ago, aderei said:

I've seen both dune films 

Books still worth it?

Yes, yes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, o00o said:

IMG_4241.jpeg.d132cd08e3d20e785940008277176f4c.jpeg

I envy you if you're reading them for the first time, I've read the whole thing twice and it's stunning sci-fi. I'll mostl likely re-ead them all again.

Edited by Nil
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nil said:

I envy you if you're reading them for the first time, I've read the whole thing twice and it's stunning sci-fi. I'll mostl likely re-ead them all again.

They are all sold out here I was lucky to find a collection online and don’t have to wait 3 weeks for a restock. 

I've been offered a Kobo years ago and never looked back, no matter how much I love a book as a physical item.