IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

10 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

I want fiction/psythriller/madness/paranoia/psychedelia??

I fucking love naked lunch the movie, is there a book out there like that or alike?

lol Naked Lunch the movie is based on the William S. Borroughs novel Naked Lunch, so that might be a good choice. If you want madness, I recommend the Cormac McCarthy novel Stella Maris (and also its companion novel The Passenger).

13 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

does that count?

claro! ain't no grey area here, bruv. either you did a thing or you didn't. there's no maybe when it comes to did you read a book or not lol.

shit, why did my parents trew out every goddamn toy that I had... playmobil, legos, micromachines, books, etc... :catcry:

trust me man, you don't want that burden. my parents did keep a lot of that shit from my childhood, and then dumped it all back on me several years ago. I spent too much time debating what to do with it all, before I ended up donating the majority to goodwill. it is better to let go of that stuff if you ask me...

I fucking love naked lunch the movie, is there a book out there like that or alike?

bro r u serious? naked lunch is probably Burroughs most well known book. it was very famous (infamous?) before it became a movie haha. personally, if you've only like maybe read 2 books in ur life, then I wouldn't recommend starting with that one from his canon. either Junky or Queer are better entry points to Burroughs, if you want to read anything by him. or if you do want the psychedelic madness Naked Lunch is known for, you could try the much shorter story The Exterminator - which is where the whacky bug fumigator character came from. but his style takes getting used to, and is not easy reading.

I want fiction/psythriller/madness/paranoia/psychedelia??

maybe try something by Brett Easton Ellis? he's fairly mainstream, and known for most of what you listed above. he wrote American Psycho, you probably know the movie. but Glamorama is much better for madness/thriller IMO... American Gods by Neil Gaiman is also a classic, which is another good entry point for his stuff...there's also Chuck Palahniuk to explore, y'know the guy who wrote Fight Club, since I seem to be on a book into movie/TV show theme atm.

thx dudes that sounds delightful ... and yes indeed I was under the impression that naked lunch was based on a book but I didn't check it out beforehand... this internet is expensive af so I only have 120 free minutes per week... I write my posts first on a text editor, copy, login, paste, logout... :facepalm:

for starters? gonna start reading books that were adapted to some of my favorite movies... do u think I should try to find them in Portuguese? I'm wondering maybe there's gonna be a lot of lost in translation stuff?

Simulacron-3.jpg

NakedLunch1stedition.jpg

The_Incal_2014_hardcover_trade_collection.jpg

Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^ Still my most favorite contemporary author.

I'm doing a big Bret Easton Ellis retrospective atm starting with The Shards (loved it), breezed through Less Than Zero and The Rules of Attraction, but American Psycho is taking me a while.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Japans-Castles-Cover.jpg

Fascinating approach to Japan's transition out of the Meiji restoration, through the Second World War, and into the present.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading the expanse series books, currently in the fifth which i believe is where the show left off. They're kinda mid  but want to know where it goes.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading Steve Hanley's book The Big Midweek about his time in The Fall. Good stuff for the genre. Otherwise, rereading Derek Bailey's book on Improvisation.

On 1/24/2024 at 8:41 PM, GORDO said:

Been reading the expanse series books, currently in the fifth which i believe is where the show left off. They're kinda mid  but want to know where it goes.

I liked those books.

They do what they do very well. Its like the authors are winking at us saying "OK we know its corny that historic events keep hinging on the actions of these same five characters but keeping the same characters going is what makes this whole 'book' thing interesting so just go with it ok?"

Plus points of the Expanse books:

- actually quite realistic depiction of what a colonised solar system might be like. e.g. people spending a fuck of a lot of time speedng up and slowing down on spaceships, a lot of time living in tunnels.

- actually quite well thought through depiction of what politics would be like in that situation. Also what space combat would be like.

- into that fairly realistic setup they throw a completely mental alien artifact which (as I read someone say somewhere) is actually one of the best sci-fi antagonists ever

- I thought Holden was well written - heroic without being too badass

- Good balance between each book being a book in itself while also moving the series along. You can see that they planned the whole thing out well in advance and it really pays off.

- Same level of quality pretty much all the way through the series.

Minus points:

- For the expanse universe to work, you have to pretend that people would like the endless boring life-or-death maintenance that would be needed to keep the ships and habitats working. Several characters find out to their surprise that that endless maintenance is their life's calling and get really into it.

new Jasper Fforde "Red Side Story" just released. the first part was really interesting it just had a bad fate due to the obviously bad title 

We recommend Shades of Grey and Red Side Story by Jasper Fforde.

Edited by o00o

Started re-reading the book Genius: A Mosaic of One Hundred Exemplary Creative Minds by the late American literary critic Harold Bloom. Read it in high school and it definitely inspired my love of classic literature and philosophy. There are short 10-page-or-so articles about 100 of the most prominent authors in world literature, although American and European writers are represented the most. It is a big book, but it has a choose-your-own-adventure vibe, where you can pick which authors you want to learn about without doing too much damage to the overall arch of the book. I like it because it is written from a subjective viewpoint and is not full of literary criticism jargon. It is more the product of lifelong appreciation for imaginative writing that the author has had.

Guess I was unwittingly on a "cli fi" binge lately:

The Lost Cause, Corey Doctorow. Essentially, an extrapolation of political trends pertaining to climate change ~50 years into the future. Weird to read a politically-charged story where I agree with the main character's thrusts but also find him seriously bloody annoying

Termination Shock, Neal Stephenson. Neat exploration of the tech bro solution to climate change, and what its ramifications would look like. Also a prescient look at deepfakes and their political potential. Unfortunately as usual, you can tell towards the end that he doesn't really know how to end the story

On 12/19/2023 at 3:54 AM, baph said:

Can someone get China Mieville to write a new novel? 

Man, I loved Embassytown and The City and The City. So when I saw a gigantic one by him in a charity shop I grabbed it.

I didn't realise Perdido Street Station was published 10+ years before those other books, when he was just starting out writing. He was clearly some kinda fantasy RPG type nerd back then. That book has the stink of single boy bedroom and steampunk all over it. If I start a book I will always finish it (only one exception to this in my life so far) but jfc that was a slog.

• Like 1

TBH, I think his shorts 'Last days of new Paris' was my favourite of his, very Ballardian in places. Quite liked the Census taker, and his book on the October revolution is pretty good as well. Generally find his long fiction a bit too kitsch, I think I liked Iron Council cos it was basically built around ideas from revolutionary politics.

There was some minor scandal around him a few years back IIRC, I think he's become pretty reclusive since.

Edited by droid
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 5:59 PM, zazen said:

I liked those books.

They do what they do very well. Its like the authors are winking at us saying "OK we know its corny that historic events keep hinging on the actions of these same five characters but keeping the same characters going is what makes this whole 'book' thing interesting so just go with it ok?"

Plus points of the Expanse books:

- actually quite realistic depiction of what a colonised solar system might be like. e.g. people spending a fuck of a lot of time speedng up and slowing down on spaceships, a lot of time living in tunnels.

- actually quite well thought through depiction of what politics would be like in that situation. Also what space combat would be like.

- into that fairly realistic setup they throw a completely mental alien artifact which (as I read someone say somewhere) is actually one of the best sci-fi antagonists ever

- I thought Holden was well written - heroic without being too badass

- Good balance between each book being a book in itself while also moving the series along. You can see that they planned the whole thing out well in advance and it really pays off.

- Same level of quality pretty much all the way through the series.

Minus points:

- For the expanse universe to work, you have to pretend that people would like the endless boring life-or-death maintenance that would be needed to keep the ships and habitats working. Several characters find out to their surprise that that endless maintenance is their life's calling and get really into it.

So I just finished the whole main series and yes, the setting is believable, the characters are charming the story is engaging but boy is the latter half of the story a drag, did not enjoy as much. Feels like the authors wanted to up put on big boy writer pants and made everything bleak. It'd be better off if it continued being a fun light space adventure. I wanted to dig in more into the short stories but im burned out for now.

• 2 weeks later...