IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

23 hours ago, chim said:

Finally arrived ❤️

IMG_20230727_233201.jpg

Enjoy, Chim! Old school violence! The intrigue for me is in society meeting the wild - guns meeting bow and arrow. In a 19th century city you can visit a hospital - out in the desert you’re dead. Water, food, and bullets

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gothic-Short-Stories.jpg.8f18b28cf4841820a60b7bdc5a004a0c.jpg

it's the top of spooky season imo and this has been pretty good. just got through an excerpt of Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Ethan Brand" which was pretty dang great

this Blair anthology is in chronological order so it's getting spookier as it goes but so far I'm loving it

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 4

Been on a Le Carre roll the last few months, started with the Smiley classics and branching out most recently to the Night Manager. One of those authors who I really wish I'd paid more attention to while they were still alive

edit: The ending to Our Kind of Traitor is very apt this week

Edited by Walter Ostanek
  • Like 1

The embossed cloth on Moby Dick is really something else. Really happy to see SPQR has that many pages and loads of illustrations as well. 

IMG_20230823_212646.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 8:32 PM, chim said:

The embossed cloth on Moby Dick is really something else. Really happy to see SPQR has that many pages and loads of illustrations as well. 

IMG_20230823_212646.jpg

The Moby Dick looks v.nice. I like the clothbound Penguin classics series. I've got the Austen series and The Ring of the Nibelung. 

2 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

This seems interesting. Is it?

Definitely. If you're interested in how mathematics can model our reality, but knowing there are actual limits to it and our understanding of the world philosophically, then this is a Beautiful work. I bought it physical, but you can take it from here digitally: https://animanoir.notion.site/The-Computational-Beauty-of-Nature-Computer-Explorations-of-Fractals-Chaos-Complex-systems-and-Ad-54abaf6db88f4118a4e8fc5d95e1f8f1?pvs=4

9 hours ago, logakght said:

Definitely. If you're interested in how mathematics can model our reality, but knowing there are actual limits to it and our understanding of the world philosophically, then this is a Beautiful work. I bought it physical, but you can take it from here digitally: https://animanoir.notion.site/The-Computational-Beauty-of-Nature-Computer-Explorations-of-Fractals-Chaos-Complex-systems-and-Ad-54abaf6db88f4118a4e8fc5d95e1f8f1?pvs=4

this stuff always fascinated me, fractals, chaos and complexity theory description of nature etc, however i'm no mathematician so any explanation with equations would be lost on me. thanks for the link, i'll definitely check this out!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

this stuff always fascinated me, fractals, chaos and complexity theory description of nature etc, however i'm no mathematician so any explanation with equations would be lost on me. thanks for the link, i'll definitely check this out!

Awesome! It is indeed wonderful. And don't worry, that math here isn't really that complex and something with a basic tutorial on the matter would do.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

I would also recommend James Gleick's book "Chaos", one of the only non-fiction books I enjoyed enough to read more than once

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, logakght said:

Awesome! It is indeed wonderful. And don't worry, that math here isn't really that complex and something with a basic tutorial on the matter would do.

I scanned through the book yesterday and I already found some very insightful passages and chapters. The math is just enough to take it seriously and delve into it.

10 hours ago, luke viia said:

I would also recommend James Gleick's book "Chaos", one of the only non-fiction books I enjoyed enough to read more than once

Great! Thanks for the recommendation. I guess this winter is going to be chaos themed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I borrowed Jenny Hval's Paradise Rot from a friend and finished it in a few days. I enjoyed it more than Girl's Against God, I think she does better writing a more straightforward narrative. Wasn't expecting the body horror towards the end – that was interesting.

Started to re-read William Burrough's Junky for the 3rd or 4th time, and also have PKD's The Galactic Pot Healer set aside for a re-read.