IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

16 minutes ago, logakght said:

Movement as Perception: Bergson, Deleuze, and Hybridity Between Electroacoustic and Intelligent Dance Music:

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Movement-as-Perception%3A-Bergson%2C-Deleuze%2C-and-and-Smethurst/b5ceb694786175c3fcfc142682a36fa5555f5e03

Me as an IDM Scholar.

• Farnsworth 2

Finished reading 1Q84 recently, don't remember reading a series that fast since Harry Potter when I was a teenager. It was very good, loved the story and how each book had its own pace and atmosphere. Highly worth your time.

Just started Erewhon right after that (because OPN) but interrupted it because I got caught in an extremely interesting, well-written but chilling essay on incest ("Ou Peut Etre Une Nuit", not sure it has been published outside of France yet).

just started "The Monk: A Romance" by Matthew Gregory Lewis (1796). Already pretty good and I'm only two chapters in... can't wait for the ghosts, cults, demons, debauched nuns, and general insanity. my kinda romance.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2023 at 7:43 AM, logakght said:

Movement as Perception: Bergson, Deleuze, and Hybridity Between Electroacoustic and Intelligent Dance Music:

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Movement-as-Perception%3A-Bergson%2C-Deleuze%2C-and-and-Smethurst/b5ceb694786175c3fcfc142682a36fa5555f5e03

I uploaded the actual paper in are.na if anyone wants to read it: https://www.are.na/block/24220736

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, logakght said:

I uploaded the actual paper in are.na if anyone wants to read it: https://www.are.na/block/24220736

hehe really interesting read

Stockhausen claims music should be pure and not tied to a specific purpose; it should not be used as a drug (Cox & Warner, 2013, p. 382)

I am guilty of that 

8 hours ago, Summon Dot E X E said:

Blood. Red blood. Blood, blood, blood, blood.

And bits of sick.

Yeah, the audiobook/s are read by Matthew Holness himself, so they're definitely the version you want to get if you can.

• Like 1

"Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky is an amazing piece of sci-fi. It was published back in 2015 when it won the Arthur C Clarke award and just last week the series (of three books) won a Hugo

It deals with generation ships, geoengineering, uplift of other species. The FT review said "tackles big themes—gods, messiahs, artificial intelligence, alienness—with brio." which is also a good way of summing it up.

I'd never read the guys stuff before so I didn't know what to expect but it was so tense and interesting and so well crafted. The book has perhaps the most satisfying use of a "Chekhov's gun" plot point that I've ever seen.

I was always really into Iain M Banks and, to me, Adrian Tchaikovsky, while different, seems to be in the same vein. Same sort of confidence - takes on big dark crazy ideas and nails them. The other two books in the series are also really good, although all three books are deliberately quite different.

So there you go, "Children of Time", starting to become one of the most acclaimed sci-fi novels of the last decade. 👍

Edited by zazen
  • Like 3

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19862742-cosmic-currency-the-greatest-wealth

I have not read it, but seems interesting. The russian ambassadors supposedly gave the author a medal of Friendship in 2015, and a notable mention for that book, which was considered "best informative book" in some important russian literature contest that year I think lol.  Probably Putin hasn't read it yet

• 3 weeks later...

your-face-belongs-to-us-9781398509184_xl

privacy is set to become a thing of the past. even if you have been scrupulous since day one and never uploaded a picture of yourself anywhere ever, the technology has gotten so good now that you can be cross-checked and identified in an instant. and it's been out there and in secret hands for a while already.

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

On 10/10/2023 at 10:10 PM, Stock said:

Finished reading 1Q84 recently, don't remember reading a series that fast since Harry Potter when I was a teenager. It was very good, loved the story and how each book had its own pace and atmosphere. Highly worth your time.

Just started Erewhon right after that (because OPN) but interrupted it because I got caught in an extremely interesting, well-written but chilling essay on incest ("Ou Peut Etre Une Nuit", not sure it has been published outside of France yet).

I have very fond memories of the 1Q84 trilogy. A special time in my life. For some reasons, I was expecting similar greatness from his latest, The City and Its Uncertain Walls, but it left me kind of cold. It's expanding on an older short story, and it felt quite drawn-out to me. Legions of blueberry muffins eaten and furnaces lit with not too much happening in-between. Maybe he's getting old after all ...

• Like 1

I haven't read a single book in my whole life... would u recommend me something? pls and thank u!

well, actually I did read 2 twin peaks books if I'm not mistaken...

Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

I haven't read a single book in my whole life... would u recommend me something? pls and thank u!

well, actually I did read 2 twin peaks books if I'm not mistaken...

Which ones have you read? I'm guessing The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer?

There are two more recent ones by Mark Frost: The Secret History of Twin Peaks, which I really enjoyed, and Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier (haven't read it yet).

Mark Frost has also written some detective novels set in Victorian London with a crossbreed of Dale Cooper and Sherlock Holmes as protagonist, The List of Seven and The Six Messiahs. It's been ages since I've read them, but I loved them at the time. Think Conan Doyle meets Alan Moore, with lots of murder, mystery and esotericism, if that's your cup of fine English.

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2023 at 10:28 AM, cruising for burgers said:

I haven't read a single book in my whole life...

what the hell? even when you were a kid? I think u lying...I seem to recall you saying in some thread you read Siddartha

• Big Brain 1

5 hours ago, zero said:

what the hell? even when you were a kid? I think u lying...I seem to recall you saying in some thread you read Siddartha

ah, oh yeah I did indeed read Siddartha, and The DaVinci code... 😂

anyway it's just 2 books...

I read books when I was kid but can't really recall what and they were books for kids so, does that count? I had a collection of Disney books that came with green audio tapes but it was mostly drawings...

shit, why did my parents trew out every goddamn toy that I had... playmobil, legos, micromachines, books, etc... :catcry:

Moebius is basically animation right? I have some of his books in a weird format to read with a specific app... I have it on my laptop can't recall what's his face... The Incal and whatnot...

I want fiction/psythriller/madness/paranoia/psychedelia??

I fucking love naked lunch the movie, is there a book out there like that or alike?

Edited by cruising for burgers