IGNORED

Naming AFX/Aphex Twin etc etc

Guest hellomynameis

Guest hellomynameis

Okay so I was thinking of sorting out my library and I was looking at all my Aphex Twin albums which is pretty much everything he has ever done and then I'm not sure if I should just put it all under Ricard. D James or Aphex Twin or AFX or actually seperate it all into the seperate pseudonyms.

What do people advise, I mean should I just name it as all the seperate pseudonyms? or let it all unite under one banner!

Guest hellomynameis

Yeah, I have that on my external HDD but as in naming it for an MP3 player, that is the issue lol, im torn between efficiency and complete-ness

on mine it's all named Aphex Twin. So Hangable Auto Bulb is named -> Aphex Twin - AFX - Hangable Auto Bulb.

Same with all the FSOL alias', so for instance the new Yage alias is named -> Future Sound of London, The - Yage - The Woodlands of Old.

Guest mrcopyandpaste

Ive just gone with aphex twin on my ipod. i try and keep scrolling time to a minimum by trying to forget about all his aliases. to be honest, its all from the same guy so who cares he puts different styles out under different names. thats what albums are for - look at drukqs and classics. same alias very different style

i say sacrifice clarity for scrolling efficiency. you know what they mean even if others dont

Guest L3X1C0N

My mp3 player and software allow for an album artist and song artist so I'm thinking of re-ripping my RDJ cds with Richard D. James as the album artist and whatever the actual pseudonym was for song artist. It remains to be seen how this will show on the payer itself though, and I'm stilll undecided whether The Tuss should be included under RDJ despite the fact I am 99% sure it is him.

Guest L3X1C0N
Ive just gone with aphex twin on my ipod. i try and keep scrolling time to a minimum by trying to forget about all his aliases. to be honest, its all from the same guy so who cares he puts different styles out under different names. thats what albums are for - look at drukqs and classics. same alias very different style

i say sacrifice clarity for scrolling efficiency. you know what they mean even if others dont

I need to do that, not just scrolling efficiency, but having the ability to put all RDJ tracks on shuffle despite the different pseudonyms. I don't know if ipods can do that, but my sony NWA3000 can, and that's what I aim to do.

Guest L3X1C0N
my advice would be to ask a professional consultant. you obviously need help

My advice to you is go give your opinions to those who actually give a shit about what you have to say

My advice to you is go give your opinions to those who actually give a shit about what you have to say

jesus.

jesus.

yeah, i think he meant it. some people just don't seem to know when to stop drinking coffee

jesus.

yeah, i think he meant it. some people just don't seem to know when to stop drinking coffee

:w00t:

My mp3 player and software allow for an album artist and song artist so I'm thinking of re-ripping my RDJ cds with Richard D. James as the album artist and whatever the actual pseudonym was for song artist. It remains to be seen how this will show on the payer itself though, and I'm stilll undecided whether The Tuss should be included under RDJ despite the fact I am 99% sure it is him.

I don't think that is really the intent of the album artist tag either, or it is not how I use them at least. If the whole album is by one artist/alias then Album Artist is supposed to be blank IMO, but I can't remember where I read that guideline. Does iTunes still have that "BAND" tag where foobar2000 has Album Artist? I wish Album Artist was universally used, it's super fucking handy to tag releases with one or two tracks by a different artist/alias or just various artists stuff altogether. Right now I'm sort of stuck to fb2k for tagging (and for playback if I actually want to see the bloody album artist tag displayed in a useful way). Don't get me wrong, I like foobar2000, but Linux migration is an issue, and foobar2000 through WINE is far from user friendly for tagging (weird bugs all over the place).

More on topic, I have all my music in one big folder with a subfolder per release instead of per artist. I tend to stick to whatever pseudonym was used on the actual release (regardless of whether it breaks up series or whatever) and just remember them. Then again I don't have a portable music player and I just use a file manager (as opposed to a library of some sort) to browse my music most of the time.

P.S. Yes, I actually care about this shit.

Guest L3X1C0N

jesus.

dude, If you meant what you said, I meant what I said. I take everything as a serious comment, unless there is something to indicate that the comment was in jest. It's just the way I am. And caffeine makes me feel ill.

But no hard feelings, I really need to take things less seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

Good advice from this forum...

My filenames are as follows:

Aphex Twin - AFX - 2 Remixes by AFX - 01 - blah blah blah

Apehx Twin - Polygon Window - blah blah blah

My ID3 tags however are all Aphex Twin

Except for Universal Indicator, which I wouldn't listen to in a million years.........<crap...

Add a smart playlist and add all the pseudonyms to it, then highlight the entire collection, right click and get info. Under "composer" add Richard D. James.

Now, on your iPod you can go to Music -> Composer -> Richard D. James and from there, browse through all the releases by him.

I do this because I like having everything correctly labeled and easily browse-able

For anyone having trouble with iPod organizing just put Richard D. James or RDJ under composer and access it that way. In iTunes you can even be more anal retentive and put The Tuss as "Brian & Karen Tregaskin, possible moniker for Richard D. James" and still search/organize your library under Richard D. James. I also do it with Universal indicator.

And for winamp, just throw it under RDJ. It's not that hard, and this is advice coming from someone whose a bit OCD over this kind of nonsense.

Add a smart playlist and add all the pseudonyms to it, then highlight the entire collection, right click and get info. Under "composer" add Richard D. James.

Now, on your iPod you can go to Music -> Composer -> Richard D. James and from there, browse through all the releases by him.

I do this because I like having everything correctly labeled and easily browse-able

Exactly.

Exactly.

Archived