IGNORED

POLE - 1 + 2 + 3 REISSUE

Guest telikan

• 11 years later...
  • 3 months later...

image.thumb.png.f5fcc258bda03296a0d26e46bd34422d.png

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=pole&album=

Just for those who are interested, I've uploaded the .log files from Dynamic Range Meter for both 1 2 3 compilations.

To my ears, those new remasters, the subs sounds heavier, and the whole looks like it's more spaced out.

10 hours ago, Jafs said:

image.thumb.png.f5fcc258bda03296a0d26e46bd34422d.png

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=pole&album=

Just for those who are interested, I've uploaded the .log files from Dynamic Range Meter for both 1 2 3 compilations.

To my ears, those new remasters, the subs sounds heavier, and the whole looks like it's more spaced out.

Wait, ima bit confused. The remasters have less dynamic range, but you think they sound better anyways? Is that what you're saying!?

Reposting from CD purchase thread:

I can't really compare, because even though I was familiar with the originals, I never actually owned them (which is why this bundle was convenient). He obviously knows what he's doing, having worked at Dubplates & Mastering before and now operating his own mastering studio with ~scape mastering, but I guess they already sounded pretty good anyway, so I don't think that much has changed really; this is from a recent interview where he was asked about any major changes in sound for the re-issues: 

"I don't like the term 're-mastering'. That's only called for if the original pressing didn't actually sound good. Here I just made sure that the vinyl sounded a little more open in parts, because there was a tad too little treble here and there on Pole 1 and 2, and most importantly that cutting flaws like distortion and needle jumping were corrected. Otherwise, the box set was meant to replicate the vibe from back then a 100%. So I deliberately didn't make everything LOUDER, but rather adjusted some inaccuracies without removing their charm."

Complete interview (in German)

19 hours ago, goDel said:

Wait, ima bit confused. The remasters have less dynamic range, but you think they sound better anyways? Is that what you're saying!?

No, just telling that hey have their own properties, and even if we loose on dynamic range for 2020 versions, it's still relevant.

On 5/25/2020 at 6:56 PM, Jafs said:

No, just telling that hey have their own properties, and even if we loose on dynamic range for 2020 versions, it's still relevant.

Numbers don’t tell everything, especially DR numbers... perceived dynamics can be greater even with smaller DR numbers.

On 12/31/2008 at 12:22 PM, manmower said:

God dammit the dubby goodness of this Pole trilogy, I must acquire it legitimately as soon as possible.

CDs still available, time to make good on this vow from New Year's Eve 2008-2009 wtf.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got myself the separate vinyls after missing out on the box. Sounds good to me. I'd hope they had opted for solid colored vinyl instead of the colored transparent ones, but as long as they sound good it doesn't matter. Looking at the above blerp links they are also releasing regular black vinyl in August which are slightly cheaper. Either way the first three Pole records are essential stuff and sound as good as ever.

opaque would have been way nicer.

i wish everyone would stop releasing gross coloured vinyl in general. 

if I had known there would be individual releases on black i would have just grabbed those. not a big deal - the box is still really nice and sounds great. 

Archived