IGNORED

What are you consuming right now?

Squee

7 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

Did it improve your cooking? My pan broke and I'm pondering wether I should get a stainless steel one, a cast iron one or a wrought-iron one

Yeah the taste difference is big, worth every penny. It takes longer to heat and needs more TLC but not a ridiculous amount, I expected stuff to stick more easily actually.  I'll never go back to another Teflon pan again. I'm kind of curious about stainless steel cookware too, but next up is either a cast iron pot or slow cooker. 

3 minutes ago, chim said:

Yeah the taste difference is big, worth every penny. It takes longer to heat and needs more TLC but not a ridiculous amount, I expected stuff to stick more easily actually.  I'll never go back to another Teflon pan again. I'm kind of curious about stainless steel cookware too, but next up is either a cast iron pot or slow cooker. 

Sounds promising. Did you need to burn it in before use like it's regommended with wrought iron ware or is that not necessary with cast iron.? Well, I guess I will google that one.

I recently got a dutch oven (big ass enameled cast iron pot) and it's amazing for making goulash or even baking bread. Big recommendation as well

26 minutes ago, darreichungsform said:

I recently got a dutch oven (big ass enameled cast iron pot) and it's amazing for making goulash or even baking bread. Big recommendation as well

I want one of these so bad but they are super expensive? At least the ones I saw.

Edit: I went to google a link to show you, they're on sale right now down from $270 to $80 lol... Buying one.

Edited by StephenG
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, StephenG said:

I want one of these so bad but they are super expensive? At least the ones I saw.

Edit: I went to google a link to show you, they're on sale right now down from $270 to $80 lol... Buying one.

Yes, I've heard they're a bit more expensive on the other side of the Atlantic but $270 is just insane. $80 is okay. I got mine for EUR 44,99 on sale which made me happy

18 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

Sounds promising. Did you need to burn it in before use like it's regommended with wrought iron ware or is that not necessary with cast iron.? Well, I guess I will google that one.

Cast iron needs seasoning by heating a thin layer of oil. Some get creative with bacon strips for flavour. This particular make comes pre-seasoned so it just needed a splash of water and some heat to be good to go. Maintenance is still the same process and I imagine it will take a while to build up the classic layer that withstands anything. I haven't heated it with oil past the smoke point in the oven yet. 

My workplace has those big enamel ones and they're fun. It's a careful weighing of need vs precious kitchen space... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

The lady made a Hell of a charcuterie 

IMG_0624.JPG

mmm... Looks quite like ours did on Christmas Eve. If I can find a pic I'll share it. 

Looks amazing though, props to your lady :). 

(also I spy with my little eye some hennessy vsop over dere in the corner ;o)

Edited by StephenG

Oatmeal.. Got home late last night after the Christmas and the fridge is empty. Going to the supermarket once I get some of the energy back.

Last night's meal took quite a bit of planning but turned out great!

Started off w lobsters with cheddar, parsley etc and a cheddar pie. The four of us were already full by then so the entree dish, beef tenderloin (not pictured) with potato casserole, had to wait and disappeared sometime after midnight... Also a fun little side snack, beer sausages in a mix of creme fraiche, salsa, chipotle sauce and sriracha. 

20191231_220929.jpg

20191231_220736.jpg

20200101_010218.jpg

20200101_034822.jpg

30 minutes ago, chim said:

Last night's meal took quite a bit of planning but turned out great!

Started off w lobsters with cheddar, parsley etc and a cheddar pie. The four of us were already full by then so the entree dish, beef tenderloin (not pictured) with potato casserole, had to wait and disappeared sometime after midnight... Also a fun little side snack, beer sausages in a mix of creme fraiche, salsa, chipotle sauce and sriracha. 

20191231_220929.jpg

20191231_220736.jpg

20200101_010218.jpg

20200101_034822.jpg

Nice!