IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sex and drugs and rock and roll - 8/10 - ian dury bio. brilliant movie, a lot of people walked out of this which i couldnt understand.

in search of a midnight kiss 8/10 - didnt think i'd like this but i really did

american dreamer - 7/10 - a rare doc about dennis hopper from the early 70s. hopper comes off mostly as a manic nut and a big baby but there are some touching moments.. if the last movie ever gets a dvd release this should certainly be an extra

The American Friend - 8/10 - Had to re-watch this after it recently swam across my memory. Truly a great character film... a completely forgot about Wenders' evincive ways with color and music. Though I know it's not a plot driven film, that's where it lacked.

Zombieland - 6/10 - It had its good moments, like Bill Murray and Woody Harrelson, but Jesse Eisenberg was rather painful to watch with his Michael Cera clone performance. Also where was all the good ol' fashion gore? All I saw was CGI blood and not nearly enough heads exploding.

Tropic Thunder - 3/10 - After Zombieland and a few beers, my friend and I were seeking something to LOL to. I pointed out that I still had not seen Tropic Thunder as I strolled past when browsing his catalog (no homo) so we put it in. I LOL'd about 2-3 times, but then it dawned on me that I been sitting there for what felt like weeks just waiting for it to end. What a long, overly-stimulated, load of wank even for Stiller's standards.

2012 - ?/10: a big surprise. i enjoyed very much in this movie. how the fuck can all the worthless mainstream popcorn-eating scum diss this movie for a lack of story? for being a shallow gfx showreel? lol, it's exactly the same as every other movie of this caliber. bottom line - good fun, doesn't take itself seriously so i can't really say nothing bad about it.

Tropic Thunder - 3/10 - After Zombieland and a few beers, my friend and I were seeking something to LOL to. I pointed out that I still had not seen Tropic Thunder as I strolled past when browsing his catalog (no homo) so we put it in. I LOL'd about 2-3 times, but then it dawned on me that I been sitting there for what felt like weeks just waiting for it to end. What a long, overly-stimulated, load of wank even for Stiller's standards.

i didn't think Stiller was capable of sinking to depths below Zoolander, but he has proven once again that he has become completely devoid of humor and talent. Cable Guy and Reality Bite's weren't masterpieces by any means, but those movies seemed helmed by someone competent, skilled and creative. i honestly don't know what happened to him, Tropic Thunder seemed shelved, like it was made in 2003.

2012 - ?/10: a big surprise. i enjoyed very much in this movie. how the fuck can all the worthless mainstream popcorn-eating scum diss this movie for a lack of story? for being a shallow gfx showreel? lol, it's exactly the same as every other movie of this caliber. bottom line - good fun, doesn't take itself seriously so i can't really say nothing bad about it.

agreed, I liked 2012. Best Emmerich movie imo.

Just saw Up in the Air. Best Clooney I've seen since Michael Clayton. I used to dislike him as an actor but now I like him all right. Better than Brad Pitt anyway. Everything about the film was top notch - dialogue, direction, acting - except for the plot. I was counting down the minutes until "glib corporate guy gets his comeuppance." Of course they couldn't just let him have his girl, that just wouldn't be right! Good film let down by a pat ending. 8/10.

I need to re-watch Michael Clayton. From what I remember it was a well put together film.

Edit:

watched Fargo again tonight... there are just same days when I get home and the only proper thing to do is throw a frozen pizza in the oven, pour myself a beer, and watch Fargo.

Los abrazos rotos - 6/10 - really not impressed. the characters felt bland, the movie was too long. i'm starting to see Almodovar as one of my least favorite directors.

Walking Tall

lol.. fuck this shit

Mallrats

10/10

Lord of the rings: Fellowship of the ring

CGI has aged terribly but the story is still amazing and it's great in some scenes where they don't abuse CGI to tell the story because it wasn't really "perfected" yet

Alice in wonderland while baked

fuuuuck/10

Guest AcrossCanyons

Mallrats

10/10

Mallrats is dope. Maybe my favourite Kevin Smith film.

Brought Moon a few days ago. Already watched it 4 times. Love it, really really great. the acting is great and I love the story. The whole 2nd person thing had my mind guessing and I was really into trying to work out what was going on. I'm looking forward to the next in the series (Mute).

Guest AcrossCanyons

Just saw Avatar (3d).

As a film it's not so great. Very standard action/drama. Poor and predictable writing, standard hollywood blah acting, poor plot. But the world and the creatures and the race were really interesting as a concept and that made it enjoyable, the world is really (obviously) beautiful, and it (the world) feels fleshed out and real as opposed to pretty much every other made-up world. I liked it because of this, but like I said, as a film? Remove the visuals and it's nothing exciting. Think I'm seeing it again with my girlfriend some time later this week, see if it's still good the 2nd time.

Remove the visuals and it's nothing exciting.

remove the visuals and youd have no film. but i guess thats beside the point. or precisely the point.

Guest viscosity

i guess ill give encounters at the end of the world another mention, really enjoyed hearing peoples stories and the underwater environmental shots. y'all should check out grizzly man too, funny although sad documentary on Timothy Treadwell. i think Herzog was behind that one also

i definitely need to get planet earth on blue ray or something, best thing to watch after a drink or spliff imo

Edge of Darkness - I only have a couple minor complaints about the plot, a jump scare, and the fake boston accents. Despite that, this film ended up being much better than I was anticipating. I going to have to check out the mini-series that this was based on. 8/10

Fists of Fury/Fist of Fury/Revenge of the Dragon - Spike TV aired two of these on sunday and I had the other one on some public domain kung fu dvd. I was pretty hungover when I saw these, but they were pretty fun action flims with many silly moments. 7/10

The Street Fighter - I re-watched it because I remembered it being good. I wasn't. 3/10

Harlem Nights - Along with Best Defense, it was an 80s Eddie Murphy film that I've never seen. After seeing it I think he intended this to be a serious crime drama, but re-wrote the script once Richard Pryor and Red Foxx showed interest in joining the cast. Whatever the case is, this film was a mess and all over the place. 6/10

Archived