IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Mirezzi

i absolutely love Barry Lyndon, the visuals and background shots are mesmerizing. I kept trying to find matte painting flaws while watching it until i realized that they weren't mattes at all but just beautifully shot, sun set perfectly in the sky landscapes.

the last duel scene is one of the best scenes Kubrick has ever done the juxtaposition of the gentlemanly rules and the dark scenario playing out is very effective

Agreed. Never has a zoom lens been put to such great use...hah.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Z_B_Z

the last duel scene is one of the best scenes Kubrick has ever done the juxtaposition of the gentlemanly rules and the dark scenario playing out is very effective

i love that scene. its the music that makes it.. so perfect

its a tie between barry lyndon and the shining as my favorite kubrick films... ive seen both of those a ridiculous amount of times.. they never get old

why the fuck is it so hard to find a dvd of barry lyndon?!

there's even a 1080p HDTV cap floating around.

oh, or did you mean dvd as in an actual physical dvd? the round object?

to be fair it's got some clumsy shots as well, like the one near the start where he's romancing his cousin and the lighting is flat and there's vaseline on the lens or something. But most of the outdoor/estate garden shots are unbelievable. I kept thinking how now most of those views are probably ruined with power pylons. Great shot of his wife in the bathtub, too.

i haven't watched it yet, but i read somewhere there's a scene shot with a f/0.7 lens. POINT SEVEN?!?

Mmhmm he used the Zeiss 50mm f/0.07 and also used a special adapter with it to make it around 35mm. It's lenses such as that Zeiss that really make me want to get a rangefinder.

to be fair it's got some clumsy shots as well, like the one near the start where he's romancing his cousin and the lighting is flat and there's vaseline on the lens or something. But most of the outdoor/estate garden shots are unbelievable. I kept thinking how now most of those views are probably ruined with power pylons. Great shot of his wife in the bathtub, too.

Yeah you are right, he used vaseline to try and add to the dreamy milieu. Most of the poorly lit, natural light shots aren't going to look too hot since he was using ultra fast lenses wide open which yield pretty poor IQ with a very shallow depth of field. I know when I use my old manual focus f1.2 nikkor @1.2 the images sure ain't that hot, but regardless it is better than no shot at all.

Edit: I'm gonna rewatch this tonight... I forgot I found a 720P rip of it a few months back. Last time i watched it was too long ago.

I watched some French movie last night called Haute Tension/High Tension. It's about a guy who breaks into a farm and starts killing people in a very French way. In other words, it's very brutal but that doesn't mean that it's any good. The story was kinda stupid though but the brutality makes up for it.

5/10

Guest uptowndevil

anyone seen Morvern Callar? still haven't gotten around to watching it.. the soundtrack is good but i've heard a lot of different things said about the movie.

Guest Mirezzi

Where the Wild Things Are Yikes. Jonze dialed it in. Honestly, that project should not have survived the casting of Max. Most two year-olds are less obnoxious and shrill than that little prick they put in the movie.

Horrible, horrible, horrible. WTF.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

bronson 7/10

nice @ opening use of scott walker

lol @ fucking superhands

overall a mixed feeling. i don't want to like him but its hard not to as he's the films soul. it's not really about how bad he is it's about how good he is. we never sympathise with the prison guards getting a kicking as he's always on the losing end eventually. was fucked up when they drugged him.

would have been awful if jason statham had been in it. imagine? although might have been worth it to see his cock. tom hardy was really really good. some of the more theatrical bits seemed wrong somehow. imdb says 2500 press ups a day. i could do that.

would have been nice to get more idea what happened to him in those first 7 years in prison.

the music was great throughout. even the pet shop boys. hell especially the pet shop boys. it's a sin.

Where the Wild Things Are Yikes. Jonze dialed it in. Honestly, that project should not have survived the casting of Max. Most two year-olds are less obnoxious and shrill than that little prick they put in the movie.

YES! Someone agrees with me!

I felt like punching that kid right in the eye as soon as he jumped into the picture. The scene where he's running around screaming and chasing the dog with a fucking spoon almost made me turn off the damn movie. But then it just kept on showing him running around being a dick so I finally turned it off and finished it about 2 months later. I honestly hated that movie.

Guest Mirezzi

YES! Someone agrees with me!

I felt like punching that kid right in the eye as soon as he jumped into the picture. The scene where he's running around screaming and chasing the dog with a fucking spoon almost made me turn off the damn movie. But then it just kept on showing him running around being a dick so I finally turned it off and finished it about 2 months later. I honestly hated that movie.

Yeah, my girlfriend is very protective of animals to the point where she gets all defensive any time I fuck with our cats. She hated this little fucker in Where the Wild Things Are immediately. So did I though...he was so fucking loud and awkward and he had the body of a fat teenager and the face of a little girl...just so fucking obnoxious. The scene where he tells his mom to get him dinner and Mark Ruffalo comes over and earnestly says, "He can't treat you like that!" I knew the movie was going to eat shit for the duration.

By the time all the cunts in wild thing suits come out, I was already in agony. I turned it off when he falls asleep in the big paedo orgy of wild things. :pedobear:

Seriously, if you like this movie, you are a deranged idiot.

i turned it off after about 20 minutes and have no plans of finishing it. goddamn. i almost never stop watching movies half way through, the last one was transformers 2, before that i can't even remember.

:trashbear:

Guest Mirezzi

i turned it off after about 20 minutes and have no plans of finishing it. goddamn. i almost never stop watching movies half way through, the last one was transformers 2, before that i can't even remember.

:trashbear:

I don't either! I'll sit through awful shit that WATMMers have recommended just so I can give a semi-intelligible opinion of it.

Wild Things was just soooooooooooooooo fucking bad. The truth is, if you liked this movie, even a little, it's probably because you could tolerate the obnoxious fucker they cast as Max. I absolutely despised that kid. As Squee said, the moment he shows up in the movie, I hated him. Something about him being a 12 year-old masquerading as an 8 year-old is really at the heart of what bothered me.

I just think Jonze and his team cast this kid because he looks like such a pussy, but in truth he's too old for the part. They should have cast a genuine 8 year-old FFS.

thanks for confirming my belief in not watching this....that book was one of my most beloved childhood memories

also the reason I will never watch the Burton Chocolate Factory, Gene Wilder will forever be Willy Wonka in my eyes.

Archived