IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

eXistenZ 7/10

first time seeing this. interesting but disappointing. aged badly maybe.

get him to he greek 5/10

some pretty funny bits but my main problem with this film was the music. afican child was meant to suck. it did so thats fine but we're meant to believe he used to be good right? this fat kid likes mars volta AND aldios snow? he played some older stuff and it was just as bad. i know i know its a comedy etc but that lack of effort really puts me off from enjoying everything else. also lots of slow parts.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Fishtank

Jonah Hex 3/10

Hard to stay awake during this one

it gets 3 points for having enough explosions and a cool soundtrack to keep me awake

I thought eXistenZ was bad for the same reason M Night Shitdirector is a failure, too many lame twists

Lost in Translation

Fantastic film with Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson, two married people who spark off an extremely intimate relationship with one another while away from their partners in Tokyo.

Does anyone else feel the physical pain at the end of this film when they part? It's the first time I've ever physically felt that emotion of leaving a loved one through the viewing of a film before. Maybe it's because I've been through a lot of that pain recently and really know what it feels like. I dunno, but it hit me.

9/10

this movie was my favorite for a long time...so romantic and beautiful

Guest Richy

I thought Lost in Translation was a turd of a movie. I just watched Insomnia (2002) starring Al Pacino, it was alright, Pacino phoned it in basically. 6/10

Guest abusivegeorge

I thought Lost in Translation was a turd of a movie. I just watched Insomnia (2002) starring Al Pacino, it was alright, Pacino phoned it in basically. 6/10

Please don't tell me, having given insomnia 6/10 that you honestly thought Lost in Translation was worse.

If so I would urge you to watch it again.

Also, remember it's a Francis and Sofia Ford Coppola movie.

I mean remember that whilst your watching it, and it might make realise why some of the film is directed in the way it is.

Guest abusivegeorge

I, too, realyl enjoy Lost in Translation. Though it has been about 3 years since Ive last viewed it.

goffer are you able to help me with this at all mate? You seem to know your stuff (not that anyone else doesn't)

Hey guys, I bumped my actor thread with this:

deconst-harry-9752.jpg

Woody Allen

Can somebody help me here.

I'm looking for a film, Woody Allen I do believe has a love affair with a goat?

Am I going completely fucking mad, or did this film actually exist? I swear I've had this conversation with LUDD, or one of my sisters friends. I've tried searching but it appears to lead me nowhere.

But thought it'd be worth putting it in here too, seems like the kind of thing a few of you might know about, thanks :).

Im guessing thats 'Everything you wanted to know about sex but were affraid to ask', i havent seen in a couple of decades so i might be wrong.

That movie title sprung out to me when I went through his list of films in wikipedia so I clicked onto the wiki page but it didn't give much info on the film at all!

Had this reply so far in other thread.

I, too, realyl enjoy Lost in Translation. Though it has been about 3 years since Ive last viewed it.

goffer are you able to help me with this at all mate? You seem to know your stuff (not that anyone else doesn't)

Well, for me, it created an atmosphere that I rarely find in films these days... like something Bergman would father but with subtle Woody Allen moments. It's attention to space and privacy... giving us just enough to keep attention in an interesting, eerie kind of way. I also loved Bill Murray in it; it wasn't Bill playing Bill as always (not that that's a bad thing at all), but it was Bill transformed, in a good way, not in a Broken Flowers (A LiT rip, IMO) kind-of-way. It goes to show how well of a director Sofia Coppola is, or at least shows her potential.

Guest Mirezzi

Well, for me, it created an atmosphere that I rarely find in films these days... like something Bergman would father but with subtle Woody Allen moments. It's attention to space and privacy... giving us just enough to keep attention in an interesting, eerie kind of way. I also loved Bill Murray in it; it wasn't Bill playing Bill as always (not that that's a bad thing at all), but it was Bill transformed, in a good way, not in a Broken Flowers (A LiT rip, IMO) kind-of-way. It goes to show how well of a director Sofia Coppola is, or at least shows her potential.

Yeah, I've only seen it once and I was very fond of it, too. I never watched it again because I'm worried I might not feel the same way.

Anyway, it's hilarious that anybody could say they didn't like Lost In Translation but they liked the Insomnia remake in the same post. Granted, I didn't like the original Insomnia that much, but the Nolan version was straight out of cable TV late night trash.

Guest Mirezzi

Shutter Island - A mess. Really, a very silly story and I'm not sure precisely what Scorsese was trying to accomplish, aesthetically, but it didn't work for me. It wasn't inventive or creepy or surreal or bizarre or scary. Rather, it was trying to be all of those things and came up short at every stop.

Shutter Island - A mess. Really, a very silly story and I'm not sure precisely what Scorsese was trying to accomplish, aesthetically, but it didn't work for me. It wasn't inventive or creepy or surreal or bizarre or scary. Rather, it was trying to be all of those things and came up short at every stop.

Thank you! I hated that movie. If was just like all the movies released between 1999-2003

I enjoyed Shutter Island... I took it from a Huckleberry Finn perspective in that I know this is a damaged character/narrative, so there is no telling what to believe/take seriously. I don't reckon Scorsese was trying to be inventive with it, but the opposite... just putting another dent in his auteur-status by trying to conquer another genre, the mystery. Not his best film by a long shot, but I did enjoy it for its tasteful approach to film-noir. I agree it was a bit trying but I think it delivered better than most, for what it was.

I enjoyed it a lot more than The Departed which I found to be a sour regurgitation of his prime years.

Guest abusivegeorge

Yeah, I've only seen it once and I was very fond of it, too. I never watched it again because I'm worried I might not feel the same way.

Anyway, it's hilarious that anybody could say they didn't like Lost In Translation but they liked the Insomnia remake in the same post. Granted, I didn't like the original Insomnia that much, but the Nolan version was straight out of cable TV late night trash.

Spot on and I completely agree.

However I was actually referring the qoutes BELOW my sentence asking if you could help me with it, being the Woody Allen movie I am having trouble finding, Lol!!!

No problem, and thank you for the replies referring to Lost in Translation too. I don't think I've seen any other Sofia Coppola stuff, so I'm going to have a google and see what else she has done, unless anyone has any recommendations :)?

Ohh... that film was Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex... I believe

edit... but it was a sheep.

edit2.. looks like it's already been listed

Guest abusivegeorge

OK excellent thanks, I am surprised at the lack of info on Woddy Allen's films. Particularly this one, I did think it was this one but there's no info at all not even on wiki.

I am going to try and find this then :).

Guest abusivegeorge

Gene Wilder's in it?

Awesome, but of course what with this being a shitty English town I'll never find it here.

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

eXistenZ 7/10

8/10 effective dreamies.

might have been a goat joke in love & death unsure. need to rewatch.

Archived