IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

'Style Wars', 1983 doc about New York graffiti and hip hop culture, should be seen by everyone if you haven't yet...fuck this is a great film!

i've had time to catch up lately

Moon

-loved it. 8/10

- iv'e heard much bad about this movie but had a good time watching it. awesome destruction cgi shitz. 6/10

Robin Hood (2010)

-didn't like the pacing and music video like cutting.

the way it was a prequel and not the usual robin hood story was nice. 5/5

Toy Story 3

-exelent. cried a little. 8/10

Twilight

-acctually better than i had imagined but still kind of crap. 3/10

Twilight New Moon

-14 year old girl filth fantasy greatness. fast forwarded a couple of times. 2/10

Twilight Eclipse

-more fast forwarding. >> 2/10

The Other Guys

-true lol delivery. the intro is awesomely over the top awesome. 7/10

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

-some lols. completely ok. 6/10

Eyes Wide Shut

-i think i need to see it one more time but i don't think i want to. ~/10

Xtro

-very b-movie but worth watching. 6/10

Grizzly Man

-great and fascinating but probably wouldn't watch again. 8/10

The Crazies (2010)

-not that good. can't remember how it ended... 4/10

Zombieland

-very good. veeeery good. fresh. right up my alley. 9/10

The Harry Potters 1-6

-think i should have read the books instead(before). i got sucked up in their world but got the feeling things happened too fast at times. 5-7/10

Hausu

-lots of :pedobear: moments. super wierd movie, cool aesthetics but... nah. worth seeing though. 6/10

Predators

-positively surprised 6/10

Despicable Me

-worn out formula. it didn't find my cry channel though it really felt like it tried to. the little yellow guys where love/hateable. good looking and entertaining. 6/10

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have a documentary thread? Has anyone seen any interesting documentaries lately?

some awesome docs i've watched recently have been:

winnebago man

best worst movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tFgZ6DmXmw

FUBAR 2 (although this is more of a fake documentary/mockumentary it rivals the very best of trailer park boys and is basically the best movie ever)

Don't under any circumstances watch the documentary 'catfish'. It is incredibly fake and made me really angry

Expendables - 2/10

Was meh all around. If it was trying to do a callback to the 80s action flicks it failed miserably. With all the supposedly appropriate actors in a movie like this, it just didn't work. They lacked any sort of chemistry and comradery that you would expect from a group of elite mercenaries who's been through some serious shit. The gang in Predator had that vibe going. Only highlight was the monologue by Rourke.

Toy Story 3 - 8.5/10

All in all a most enjoyable movie. I just love how Pixar designs its characters and everything in their movies. The oldtimer phone toy, just genius. And the monkey and the disturbing Big Baby. Mr.Potatohead as a tortilla had me do a genuine LOL. Top notch.

Do we have a documentary thread? Has anyone seen any interesting documentaries lately?

If you haven't seen the Power of Nightmares, The Trap, Century of Self or some of Louie theroux's excellent episodes like 'The Most Hated family in america' I highly recommend them. All available on google video & youtube

I liked Manufactured Landscapes, docu about a photographer documenting ehm.industrial changes to landscapes, the title says it all really. There are some astonishing shots from huuuuuge chinese factory floors and indian (I think)ship graveyards etc. Also the two first quatsi films are pretty great.

The devil came on horseback is good, also about a photographer, but honestly the focus is on the darfur/sudan genoside.

Capturing the Friedmans is a GREAT documentary about a family torn apart by claims of pedophile abuse, a must see if you ask me.

Onibus 174 is another great documentary, this one is about a hostage situation on a bus in Rio de janeiro, lots of footage from the event.

i liked both of these as well, manufactured landscapes was insane. I almost wished the movie wasn't about the photographer but more about the landscapes themselves

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

cloudy with a chance of meatballs 6/10

when this was in cinemas it looked shit. the animation looked bad, it didnt look funny. i didnt grow up with the book either. so i skipped it. but watching it on netflix play instant it was the opposite. it looked really good. it was really funny. well i gave it 6 so it wasn't great but it was much better than i expected. steve the monkey ripping out a gummy bears heart with his bare hands earned the 6 stars.

wow the cinema is full of shit right now... is this the time of year when studios hide the flops they know they have?

until harry potter plops next week.

carlos_movie_poster.jpg

part 1 out of 3 (1h 40 min each)

9/10

love it so far. pretty much what i was hoping "che" would be.

edit: part 2 - 8/10

part 3 - 7/10

film festival, day 1:

- Hahaha: 5/10 - there is not story. but i still enjoyed it to some extent, i'm a sucker for cultures of far-east.

- The Time That Remains: 8.5/10 - i enjoyed it very much. provocative, at least for me (never bothered that much about the situation in

Palestine/Israel). recommended.

- The Good Heart: 3/10 - an insultingly banal and cheesy story with a worthless "twist". don't watch.

511ISWP98LL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sometimes emotional movies are my favorites. I remember when I first saw Magnolia I was so blown away that I went out and purchased it first thing the next day.

This movie reminded me a tiny bit of that. It's a family drama. Actually it's somewhat strange. It's visually brilliant, and John Adams' music is incredible.

By the time the climax came towards the very end I was really torn down, and that feeling is similar to the one you get in the great moments of something like Magnolia, where the pressure and stress of the moment has built up slowly for the past 2 hours and comes exploding out in a fit of teary catharsis.

triangle - 10/10

awesome horror mystery thriller that involves time travel on a ship from the 1930's in the ocean. don't watch the trailer or it'll give too much away...

Guest Fishtank

Skyline 6/10

This is really a mixed bag here. It's directed by special effects guys so you get cinema quality special effects, which are really good, mixed in with TV grade writing and acting, which is bad. I would recommended this to people who like the original programming on the sci-fi channel.

Bruno 8/10

Hilarious, maybe a little too gay

The Descent 2 5/10

The original is one of my favorite movies ever, this one is not great but not terrible

Skyline 6/10

This is really a mixed bag here. It's directed by special effects guys so you get cinema quality special effects, which are really good, mixed in with TV grade writing and acting, which is bad. I would recommended this to people who like the original programming on the sci-fi channel.

I just got back from seeing Due Date (stupid fun), and snuck in for the last half of Skyline.....

this film is one of the worst things I have ever laid my eyes on, giving it a 6 is almost as funny as Due Date, for fucks sake Skyline was almost as funny as Due Date......

here is what my main man film critic genius Dave has to say about it:

The Basics: Some aliens come to earth and land in Los Angeles. They're on a mission to eat up a bunch of jerks, so it's lucky for them they dropped down in that specific spot; they'll never go hungry. These aliens are also virtually unstoppable. Nuclear bombs, stealth fighter planes, all the weaponry on hand in the U.S. military's arsenal, none of that stuff can slay these creatures. To do that, the characters discover, requires good old fashioned hand-to-hand combat. Well, hand-to-tentacle. Anyway, remember that next time you think all it'll take to vanquish the monster is a bigger gun.

What's The Deal: This pretty awful movie is from a team of visual effects-making brothers, Colin and Greg Strause, who've been making stuff look awesome for several years now. And they're getting better as feature directors (their last one was the barfy AVPR: Aliens vs. Predator--Requiem). Now, when I say "better" I don't mean that this one is any good. It's just not as bad as AVPR. These guys love to make monsters and it shows, because the aliens are beautifully designed, like asymmetrical Frank Gehry buildings with tentacles. And the effects are impressively crushing, loud and fireballish. But then it's like they remembered there also had to be people in the movie so the monsters would have someone to kill, and they just decided to go surfing the day all that boring stuff was being cast and shot.

Dave knows....

Guest Fishtank

it's a bad movie but

there were some scenes that made it more entertaining than a lot of the movies I've seen recently, like Monsters

Archived