IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

Come & See - 10/10

One of my favorite movies of all time. Highly recommend it to anyone with a taste for war movies and surreal cinema. Amazing!

I've told these idiots a thousand times to see it and they ignore me. :crazy:

Yeah Kes is a nice movie, but not toooo nice, it has got a sadness to it. That's why I couldn't put a number to it, that would seem to surgical.

What hope for the poor lad? I hope his humour and soul never left him down the pit, though it proberbly did.

Yeah I know it's only a film lol.

raiders of the lost ark

8/10

easily the best indiana jones movie. much more violent than i remembered though, strange that my parents let me watch it when i was like 6-7 years old.

Come & See - 10/10

One of my favorite movies of all time. Highly recommend it to anyone with a taste for war movies and surreal cinema. Amazing!

im gonna watch it today.

raiders of the lost ark

8/10

easily the best indiana jones movie. much more violent than i remembered though, strange that my parents let me watch it when i was like 6-7 years old.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is easily Speilberg's best film besides Jaws. The truck chase scene is seriously one of the best action scenes in cinematic history.

in case anybody forgot this ridiculously good scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzKf9FCNmZo&feature=related

Guest Mirezzi

Come & See - 10/10

im gonna watch it today.

:wub:

raiders of the lost ark

8/10

Raiders of the Lost Ark is easily Speilberg's best film besides Jaws. The truck chase scene is seriously one of the best action scenes in cinematic history.

in case anybody forgot this ridiculously good scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzKf9FCNmZo&feature=related

HELLS YES

that and the Last Crusade, simply because Connery and the rest of the gang make the adventure so damn enjoyable.

i try telling my more intellectually snobby film friends about how awesome Ark and Crusade are and they laugh me off.

also, finally finished the Wire...dunno if i posted earlier, but easily the best tv series ever.

ill give it a 9.5/10...just because some of the subplots towards the end were "meh" (the newspaper actors were for the most part godawful, save for the augustus guy), and while the actor playing Carcetti did a fantastic job, the mayoral thing in the 5th season was losing a lot of steam.

rewatched season one of deadwood. easily the best television show of all time. beats the wire, beats the sopranos. the only element that seems out of place is timothy olyphant's stilted acting, but i can live with it. also been rewatching the wire, which simply doesn't hold up. the dialogue is, for the most part, cheese, and the acting ranges from great to absolute shit. it's a good show, but it's overrated.

i respectfully think you're full of shit. The wire is greater that the sum of its parts, that's what made it so great. You don't see the show bending to popular opinion and flailing about as a result. What you said about Deadwood is very telling - you just liked the first season. I felt the same way, I thought the first season was good, but couldn't even make it through the start of the second season, where the sheriff dude and the saloon owner wrestle off of the balcony. Way too over the top and cartoonish.

In the first season of Deadwood, there was only one sequence I thought was exceptionally good, the part where the young grifter kids get killed. That was a brilliant episode, easily some of the best TV I've ever watched. But I think it's quite strange to compare one season to the Wire in its brilliant entirety.

I've not watched Deadwood, but I saw his name mentioned and just wanted to chime in with the following:

I don't know how Timothy Olyphant keeps getting work.

Guest Mirezzi

I tried re-watching season one of Deadwood and I felt overwhelmed with its cheese. All the macho hyperbole kinda wore me out...as did the impression, at any given moment, that David Milch was sitting on my shoulder whispering the lines of every single character into my ear. "Goddamn, I'm smart. Don't you think so? Like Shakespeare, this."

The Wire is a televisual equivalent of a novel. It's not 100% on 100% of the time, but when you get to the end of Season Four, it's like...whoa, this has been such a great read. The wheels fall off a bit in Season Five, however.

Deadwood's greatness lies in the concept and execution of seasons one and three. The second season was disappointing nonsense. Obviously Milch loved it, because he made an entire show around such nonsense: John From Cincinnati.

i respectfully think you're full of shit. The wire is greater that the sum of its parts, that's what made it so great. You don't see the show bending to popular opinion and flailing about as a result. What you said about Deadwood is very telling - you just liked the first season. I felt the same way, I thought the first season was good, but couldn't even make it through the start of the second season, where the sheriff dude and the saloon owner wrestle off of the balcony. Way too over the top and cartoonish.

In the first season of Deadwood, there was only one sequence I thought was exceptionally good, the part where the young grifter kids get killed. That was a brilliant episode, easily some of the best TV I've ever watched. But I think it's quite strange to compare one season to the Wire in its brilliant entirety.

i didn't say i just liked season one. i said i just rewatched season one. i'm rewatching season two now. and i like all three seasons. the only season of the wire that i found extremely effective was the third. and that's simply because it has one of the best story arcs i've ever seen on television.

like i said, watching the wire again, i'm finding a lot of the dialogue is extremely cheesy.

it would be a lie for me to say the show isn't good, but i find the weak points (bad dialogue, inconsistent acting, the second, fourth and fifth seasons are extremely weak), these things overwhelm the show. there are some brilliant characters. omar and marlo are both very original and subvert whatever archetype those characters usually play into. but the heavy handedness of the plots in season four and five and the overall feeling of "whatever" that i had after finishing the first and second seasons makes me think that what the show is contributing is really more of a philosophical and social statement than a great television show.

and i don't actually expect anyone to agree with me on that, since everyone who watches the wire basically thinks it's the greatest show ever. that's fine, i just don't agree.

i didn't say i just liked season one. i said i just rewatched season one. i'm rewatching season two now. and i like all three seasons. the only season of the wire that i found extremely effective was the third. and that's simply because it has one of the best story arcs i've ever seen on television.

like i said, watching the wire again, i'm finding a lot of the dialogue is extremely cheesy.

it would be a lie for me to say the show isn't good, but i find the weak points (bad dialogue, inconsistent acting, the second, fourth and fifth seasons are extremely weak), these things overwhelm the show. there are some brilliant characters. omar and marlo are both very original and subvert whatever archetype those characters usually play into. but the heavy handedness of the plots in season four and five and the overall feeling of "whatever" that i had after finishing the first and second seasons makes me think that what the show is contributing is really more of a philosophical and social statement than a great television show.

and i don't actually expect anyone to agree with me on that, since everyone who watches the wire basically thinks it's the greatest show ever. that's fine, i just don't agree.

i personally disagree. i found the 4th season to be the best one. IMHO its amazing watching how it all starts structurally right from the cradle to school....so much angst you can relate to in those kids...Snoop and Chris Partlow were a fantastic evil duo..and there are so many fantastic moments in the 4th & 5th season:

SPOILERS:

Omar's massive stickup

Marlo's meeting with Avon(just from that meeting you can tell the boss never gave up his position)

Chris Partlows showdown with Michael's dad...WOW...just...WOW

and especially the scene at the end of one of the episodes between Carver and Randy....ive never cried watching a TV show but I was damn close on that one...that was fantastic.

i could go on and on naming more, because thats the magic of that show...i still think its criminally underrated if anything, everyone i know around here refuses to watch it because its not "law and order", or some other similar bullshit excuse.

Guest Mirezzi

Season Three all the way. Bunny was probably my favorite character in the history of the show.

I was incredibly disappointed with that moment. I thought it was sensational, shock value, Menace II Society-derived dogshit.

Season Four had a few major letdowns and that was one of them IMO.

Season Three all the way. Bunny was probably my favorite character in the history of the show.

I was incredibly disappointed with that moment. I thought it was sensational, shock value, Menace II Society-derived dogshit.

Season Four had a few major letdowns and that was one of them IMO.

but Bunny was in most of S4...

Season 4 was the education one right? I thought that was the most heart wrenching of them all, perhaps thats why it comes off as a little forced to some people. I dont know i liked it, maybe because i have a lot of white guilt, lol. i even found myself loving Season 5 which i wasn't too fond of originally the 2nd time i watched the whole series.

edit: Season 4 was definitely the darkest and most depressing, which i appreciated.

Archived