IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

this guy nailed it:

DEAD BURGER

"I feel like a lot of critics, even those who gave it positive reviews, may be missing the point or just not going into the film with the right mindset - a barebones plot and heavy stylization doesn't mean the movie is shallow, it's just far more subtle than most. The intelligent, deconstructionist themes are neatly tucked away into the subtext of the direction; that is to say, it's not the events that matter, it's how they are depicted. I've forged myself on interviews with Gosling and Refn and it seems clear that the film is a commentary on the glamorization of violence in cinema. Driver's job as a stunt driver shows his obsession with movies, or at least that he is deeply marinated in the culture of myth. His idolization of action heroes and their deeds informs his every move - he doesn't have much of a real relationship with Irene, but he sees her as an anti-femme fatale, projects onto her the notion of the damsel in distress, to effectively make himself a hero. This notion also pops up in the depiction of the violence, at once thrilling and sort of horrific. The lighting, the pacing, the sound all make the moments of action exciting, but when we see the look on Driver's face, it's savage and full of rage, reminding us that these things that "heroes" do that we worship in action cinema are really horrible, brutal things, and no righteous intent can vindicate that. In the end, Driver realizes the horror of what he's done, and so he drives away, both literally and figuratively leaving the story, and returning to a static neutrality. I feel like this is actually a very clear and poignant commentary, one of the best critiques we've had in a while of not only film, but of the fundamental failure of storytelling to paint an ethically or emotionally accurate picture of life and what it means to be a hero. I'm not sure how so many critics missed out on this, and I definitely don't know how you could call the film empty. And lest you say I'm merely filling in a blank canvas with my own thoughts (which is what all art is, anyway, no work can objectively say something), I should reiterate that this is all based on information I've gathered from reading interviews and talking to NWR."

that quote is from the comment section http://blogs.indiewire.com/pressplay/grey_matters_drive_directed_by_nicolas_winding_refn

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cashback - It was good but it was all over the place. I couldn't figure out if it was a depressing romantic movie or a romantic comedy? I loooved the music and all the actors were good but I didn't really like the lead actor. Anyway, I don't regret watching it.

are you sure about that? i regret beginning watching it :wacko:

Well, the music was pretty good...

Guest Eggylips

Skeletons (2010) 8/10

A kind of weird blend of men in black mixed with the britishness of withnail and I. Small budget but funny and sentimental. Follows two exorsists who travel into your past using some kind of magic. Reccomend it to you film watchers.

the grey - 8/10 not too bad. some great one liners from neeson. - loyte the fure.

ken burns baseball (documentary) - 100/10 ken burn put his life and soul into this phenomenal 18 hour documentary about baseball. i love a good documentary, but this is up there with ESPN's 30 for 30. if u like sports/history and documentarys u have to see this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_(TV_series)

hugo - 6/10 - scorcese does jean pierre jeunet and fails.

i tried really hard not to look at it like that, which probably made the experience more enjoyable. besides i don't think it was weird/quirky enough to be considered a rip off. not saying it was a masterpiece, but i liked it for what it was.

definitely not a ripoff, it's quite lovely in general. it's just that you have that constant feeling that jeunet would do this so much better and more interesting. it was just very tame overall, almost bordering schmaltz, very unscorcese..

jean-pierre jeunet is incredibly good, one of the best directors of all time. it's unfortunate that very long engagement and micmacs made so little monies, they are both brilliant films.

jeunet is working on a new film, the selected works of t.s. spivet

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

hugo - 6/10 - scorcese does jean pierre jeunet and fails.

i tried really hard not to look at it like that, which probably made the experience more enjoyable. besides i don't think it was weird/quirky enough to be considered a rip off. not saying it was a masterpiece, but i liked it for what it was.

definitely not a ripoff, it's quite lovely in general. it's just that you have that constant feeling that jeunet would do this so much better and more interesting. it was just very tame overall, almost bordering schmaltz, very unscorcese..

jean-pierre jeunet is incredibly good, one of the best directors of all time. it's unfortunate that very long engagement and micmacs made so little monies, they are both brilliant films.

micmacs was very disappointing. had some silly expectations. long engagement i liked alot though. i think they may be dvd movies rather than theatre movies

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Tinker Tailor Sailor Spy

very nice.

The Debt

Enjoyed it but the ending was stupid. probably affected it that i watched it straight after tinker tailor

A Dangerous Method

i actually enjoyed kiera's performance in this. overall i wasn't blown away but enjoyed it. might be a dvd movie rather than a cinema one

I guess you haven't seen Aliens 4.

to awkward: some day then. I think it will be an enjoyable film for yourself. We seem to like a lot of the same films.

edit: data, can't see your posted pics either.

wtf is it with noone being able to see my pics? it's not like they're all from the same source, i just google image search for the poster whenever im done watching the movie.

jean-pierre jeunet is incredibly good, one of the best directors of all time. it's unfortunate that very long engagement and micmacs made so little monies, they are both brilliant films. jeunet is working on a new film, the selected works of t.s. spivet

I guess you haven't seen Aliens 4.

you had to bring that up didn't you. alright alright

wtf is it with noone being able to see my pics? it's not like they're all from the same source, i just google image search for the poster whenever im done watching the movie.

Neither Comingsoon and IMPAwards allow hotlinking. Just pick a picture from a blog. There are never any problems with those

guise, i've seen shotgun stories (twice) and take shelter, and i understand that those are the only two films that Shannon did with that director.

but, are there any more essential films with Michael Shannon?

Archived