IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joel seems pretty normal, dude has a wife and i think kids now but Ethan seriously seems to have a mild form of autism.

they both look and act like autistic stoners when you watch an interview with them.

this is entirely true actually, the last interview i saw with them (on charlie rose) was with Richard Kind from A Serious Man (who also plays larry's brother on curb your enthusiasum) and the Coens were so un-talkative that Kind took over the entire interview

sometimes it helps to be a narcissistic show-off prick like Sasha Baron Coen, maybe the academy would have let them put a fake actor on stand by for the Fargo & No Country editing nomination.

http://www.vulture.c...inary_osca.html

Guest zaphod

Same goes for There Will Be Blood. I respect actors as much for what they don't do and Day-Lewis does too much IMHO.

Yeah I don't really agree with this. I'm too worn out to write a rebuttal but here is an article (it's a bit pretentious but meh) that basically sums up my thoughts. http://www.shaviro.com/Blog/?p=623

It's an easy performance to dismiss, but I think it really is one of the best of the last decade.

Challenge accepted and I really look forward to it. I saw TWBB once only and that's not good enough for a film of its length and reputation. I will watch again with fresh eyes and read the essay you linked.

I didn't like the film initially (what a surprise lol) and was really dismissive of his performance but I think his overacting works extremely well and gels with the style of the movie. It came out in a pretty good year for film, but for me, it stands up much better than No Country For Old Men. I'm starting to feel similarly about Assassination of Jesse James, which may actually be a great movie.

Guest Mirezzi
I'm starting to feel similarly about Assassination of Jesse James, which may actually be a great movie.

I've thought as much for years and it's one of my absolute favorites of all-time, too. Did you not like it initially? FUCK YOU! :flower::wub:

Guest zaphod

I was bored to tears by it. Mainly the narration annoyed the shit out of me, and still kind of bothers me, but I've developed an appreciation for it (I've seen the film twice since that first viewing).

Guest Mirezzi

Also in the underrated performance category, by the way...Affleck mostly but Pitt as well. That's not easy for me to say because I think he's almost without talent. Therefore, I give most the credit to Dominik.

I was bored to tears by it. Mainly the narration annoyed the shit out of me, and still kind of bothers me, but I've developed an appreciation for it (I've seen the film twice since that first viewing).

When you read the narration as very much a commentary on mythmaking tabloid culture, it doesn't grate. Inside the first 30 minutes of my first viewing, I was in that camp, too. "WTF is this shit?!"

Guest zaphod

Yeah he's really good in it, but Affleck is amazing. Such a creep but you can see where the emotions are coming from in a way that's almost sympathetic.

Guest Mirezzi

Yeah he's really good in it, but Affleck is amazing. Such a creep but you can see where the emotions are coming from in a way that's almost sympathetic.

Yep. Train scene. Some of the best writing and editing in a two minute sequence ever...

Guest zaphod

I'm looking really forward to that. But I didn't like Chopper very much, so we'll see. Hopefully Jesse James wasn't a flash in the pan thing.

Guest Mirezzi

I'm looking really forward to that. But I didn't like Chopper very much, so we'll see. Hopefully Jesse James wasn't a flash in the pan thing.

Chopper was disappointing, but not terrible so yeah...

chopper

pretty awesome. one day maybe eric bana will give a performance to equal this one in intensity. my favorite line from the movie: it's like...if ya mum stabs ya, whaddya do? ya don't get upset. ya don't get angry, ya go, "shit, mum's stabbed me, i better get off to the hospital"

:cerious:

Guest zaphod

lol. I'm thinking of Bronson. I always confuse the two films.

For what it's worth, Chopper wasn't that good, but I liked Eric Bana in it. It's hard to tell it's even the same director as Jesse James.

Guest Mirezzi

Bronson - 8/10

Wow. Tom Hardy is brilliant! Lovely little film. I lost a bit of interest in it near the end but that's the only negative thing I have to say about it.

Yeah, I actually prefer it to Chopper, which I realize is probably blasphemy to most film nerds. Bronson is a much more interesting personality to me and Hardy's performance was every bit the quality of Bana's.

You're also confused as to which is the better of the two!

I'm starting to feel similarly about Assassination of Jesse James, which may actually be a great movie.

I've thought as much for years and it's one of my absolute favorites of all-time, too. Did you not like it initially? FUCK YOU! :flower::wub:

How can you feel that way about Jesse James (which I loved entirely) and then feel so apathetic toward TWBB?

Also I really need to rewatch No Country For Old Men...

Has anyone heard anything about PTA's The Master? Other than the fact that it's really pissing off Scientologists? Is it wrong that this alone is getting me excited?

Has anyone heard anything about PTA's The Master? Other than the fact that it's really pissing off Scientologists? Is it wrong that this alone is getting me excited?

No, but I am intrigued now!

Philip Seymour Hoffman playing the L. Ron Hubbard character, Joaquin Pheonix playing his apprentice that ends up questioning the religion, and Amy Adams giving everyone in the audience a boner.

The Master

See it! I will.

Guest Mirezzi

In case I forgot to say this before:

Contagion - I get that Soderbergh is the new Eastwood of his generation. He gets tons of offers, accepts half of them, and makes the majority of his films ahead of schedule and under budget...but there's no excuse for making dogshit. Shame on all. Really fucking terrible.

i didn't think Contagion was terrible it just wasn't very good. I think he has a better track record than Eastwood, and even if you don't like his style at least he tries to be interesting and outside of the box. I personally love Full Frontal and Schizopolis and i think anybody who likes chin scratchy movies could at least semi appreciate them.

Archived