IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes very trippy. I can overlook the lack of story for this lies within pure nightmarish moments surrounded by awkward ones, making it very dream like.

I had no idea that this Oz is going to be a musical.

I am out.

Raimi vs Burton vs MUSICAL = I will no longer be giving two shits about this Disney garbage.

Alas poor Baum.

So many fantasy writers getting shit on by Disney lately.

That is truly evil.

But they have been doing that for years.

Miyazaki is still keeping it real.

I haven't seen Brave yet but for the most part Pixar is usually awesome.

Disney will destroy them as well in the end.

Disney gets what Disney wants.

VURLD DOMINASHUN!

Guest Frankie5fingers

I had no idea that this Oz is going to be a musical.

I am out.

im not sure but i think so. it is a remake and i don't rememeber the original at all. but i think its going to be.

also, if you don't like Musicals then i can see why you don't like Burton. thats actually the reason why i do love him. lol

good post. Yeah, I think it's hard to argue that the film makes being a sociopath quite sexy. Which is erm baaad, mkay? But the film's redeeming quality is the way it gives the lie to institutional abuse of power, and for lack of a better term "ethical" abuse of power (sadism/vengeance masquerading as justice). The former being the prison, the latter being the psycho old codger. The net effect of the film is still "being young is the most awesome fucking thing ever!", though, which is why teens still dress up like Alex in facebook photos.

Yeah, I think it's hard to argue that the film makes being a sociopath quite sexy.

certainly charming though, don't you think? from his now-iconic getup to doing a hearty rendition of Singing In The Rain while assaulting a couple in their own home. what a lovely young man, sociopathy notwithstanding!

Yeah actually I just phrased things in a confusing way, I meant "It's hard to argue with the statement that 'the film makes being a sociopath quite sexy". Because it does.

Ed wood is pretty good, yeh. a nightmare before christmas was directed by henry selick, just had to say.

re rui's post about A Clockwork Orange

The tendency towards violence against women for instance, seemed completely arbitrary and pointless, considering that no cultural, political or economical background is provided to us.

that's part of the point, though. have you read the book? partly what inspired Burgess to write the book was his wife being beaten up by American servicemen (deserters, I think), for no fucking reason. the poor woman was pregnant and miscarried as a result. he meant to speak to the horrible randomness and pointlessness of a lot of human violence, so he didn't provide background or justification for his characters doing it because that would've narrowed the meaning of his story by tying it down to particular causes. e.g. economic deprivation, class warfare, whatever.

perhaps you're just having this reaction because you find the violence against women in the story difficult to stomach. I know I did. I really wanted to hate the movie first time I saw it. but then I got round to reading the book and it made more sense. I guess some elements may have been lost in the text-to-screen adaptation. Kubrick certainly ramped up the cool factor which made Alex seem like some kind of twisted hero instead of just an abnormal kid - I think that was a mistake. but that's always been a problem in film, I think. many filmmakers are just unwilling to resist making controversial shit look cool to draw audiences. I believe Burgess himself denounced the movie for that.

for me, the indiscriminate ultra-violence is an essential element of the story as a direct comparison to his 'treatment' and the violence against women in particular highlights the running theme of 'good and evil / power and domination' ... which leads you to question whether you feel sorry for this despicable guy given the horrible things you've witnessed him doing? is it possible to force a seemingly evil person to be good? and how good are the supposed good guys (the government)?

(to ruiagnelo mostly)

brilliant book.

Guest ruiagnelo

re rui's post about A Clockwork Orange

The tendency towards violence against women for instance, seemed completely arbitrary and pointless, considering that no cultural, political or economical background is provided to us.

that's part of the point, though. have you read the book? partly what inspired Burgess to write the book was his wife being beaten up by American servicemen (deserters, I think), for no fucking reason. the poor woman was pregnant and miscarried as a result. he meant to speak to the horrible randomness and pointlessness of a lot of human violence, so he didn't provide background or justification for his characters doing it because that would've narrowed the meaning of his story by tying it down to particular causes. e.g. economic deprivation, class warfare, whatever.

perhaps you're just having this reaction because you find the violence against women in the story difficult to stomach. I know I did. I really wanted to hate the movie first time I saw it. but then I got round to reading the book and it made more sense. I guess some elements may have been lost in the text-to-screen adaptation. Kubrick certainly ramped up the cool factor which made Alex seem like some kind of twisted hero instead of just an abnormal kid - I think that was a mistake. but that's always been a problem in film, I think. many filmmakers are just unwilling to resist making controversial shit look cool to draw audiences. I believe Burgess himself denounced the movie for that.

for me, the indiscriminate ultra-violence is an essential element of the story as a direct comparison to his 'treatment' and the violence against women in particular highlights the running theme of 'good and evil / power and domination' ... which leads you to question whether you feel sorry for this despicable guy given the horrible things you've witnessed him doing? is it possible to force a seemingly evil person to be good? and how good are the supposed good guys (the government)?

(to ruiagnelo mostly)

brilliant book.

Usagi said he wanted to hate the film when he first saw it.

I think i might just feel that way, even after 4 viewings. Kubrick made Alex the focal point, the wonder of the movie, but i am sure he just wanted us to hate him, and being the case, at least with me, he scored a point. I mean, the movie is perfect in every sense. It's cold and outspoken, there is no background being provided because there is no need for one. It's a question that belonged to every age that has gone in our history and most definitely will keep being present. I read somewhere, humans have a strange amazement and attraction towards evil, and i couldnt' agree more, because we can feel it, everyday.

This film has revealed itself particularly hard to digest, but i just can't deny it is absolutely brilliant. I was once wondering how it could be simply a matter of taking sides, but i was wrong. This is only about Alex. And is there anyone who hasn't met an Alex at some point in life?

Guest Frankie5fingers

yeh. a nightmare before christmas was directed by henry selick, just had to say.

you do know that Tim Burton wrote and Produced it? so it can still be considered his moive. Though i always found it interesting that he didn't direct it. its the only movie that he wrote but didn't direct.

Guest Frankie5fingers

you sound a bit obsessed with tim :trollface:

cause i am. i love a lot of his movies. i'd go gay for that man :emotawesomepm9: (that fat ugly man) lol

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

drive-in double feature. if i'd seen these at the cinema I'd probably be less kind.

magic mike

not great but not as bad as you'd think. the way the audio starts before the next scene was kind of an annoying trick though. some good dancing and some tight abs. matthew McConaughey kinda shits on his character in dazed and confused by using the same phrase but maybe that was McConaughey and not the character.

ted

very stupid. the humour didnt always work (the thunder song, norah jones, flash gordan) but i laughed enough times to give it an 'ok'. can seth mcfarlene only do one voice? i thought he voiced a few characters on his tv shows, maybe not, anyway he sounds like peter griffin and even references it at one point when walberg does an impression of him. mila kunis has really straight hair in this. that's all i can say about her in it.

Guest Frankie5fingers

Seth McFarlane is just the White Tyler Perry. just making the same show and movie over and over again. i refuse to give either my money.

Archived