IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Oh man, Insidious. Fucking humongous LOL at that movie. Absolute shitfest. And it started kind of okay!

recommend me good horror stuff then

Fuck what Obel thinks, Insidious is one of the best 80's style horror flicks to ever come out.

Sinister is about to be released and looks amazing as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgYxydrVlDk

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really, really want to watch Histoire du Cinema. really want to. and Weekend. soon.

where I found out about Histoire:

http://www.ebertpres...nema/videos/341

[btw... what happened to Ebert Presents At the Movies? That show was grade A criticism IMO. love the russian guy and his interactions with the shit-taste lady]

rewatched Dead Man's Shoes the other day after Tyrannosaur. Realized it's something of a masterpiece.. my friend who's a fan of stuff like Avengers, Matrix, Saving Private Ryan, etc... loved it. I was blown away, didn't remember it being that great.

Fritt Vilt is quite good. And it's a trilogy by now, so you can have a "Fritt Vilt" night session with your friends :) The director has a new film coming out in september :

However, avoid "The House of The Devil", as well as his new one, "The Innkeepers" : nice photography, most boring films EVER. But i haven't lost hope in Ti West yet, cause he's involved in this project, out in the end of August :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNA9bV0DtDU

a bit off topic,

la moustache was brought up in the youtubes thread and i wondered, are there any other writers who have adapted their own novels and directed the film ?

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

a bit off topic,

la moustache was brought up in the youtubes thread and i wondered, are there any other writers who have adapted their own novels and directed the film ?

i really liked that film. didnt know it was a directed by the novelist.

Guest Frankie5fingers

i watched american history x last night. so heavy, but so good.

really? The ending was fucking retarded.

you didn't like the ending? wow, i thought the ending was great. what didn't you like?

Embarrassingly, I can only hazily remember. Some Mexican kid shoots Edward Furlong to death in his school restroom, right? It just felt very random and tacked-on to me, as if the filmmakers had no idea how to end their film, but knew they couldn't give it a happy ending, so decided to go the old "he may have overcome racism, but he couldn't overcome the cycle of violence!" route. If you want to see that sort of ending done properly, watch Boyz in the Hood.

The entire film felt like it was written by a white dude who had once been mugged by some black dudes, so decided to vent some rage under the cover of making an objective doc about racism in society. The best parts in the film were the parts where Ed Norton rants about blacks in front of his family. The rest of it didn't seem nearly as personal or authentic. They should have just made it a comedy about an angry white man.

Come to think of it, it has a lot in common with Gran Torino, except Gran Torino was funnier. They should make a double feature, "two films that try to be serious and make a point, but are really just about angry white men growling well-worded racial slurs"

Guest Frankie5fingers

eh, good enough reason as any. granted the plot has been done to death but really, what movies plot hasn't been done to death? theres always some movie or book that did it first. and i thought Gran Torino was ok. not great though.

I thought Gran Torino was actually good, for about 1/2 its running time. Then it was sabotaged by amateur Hmong actors, and Eastwood's running out of ideas.

Did I mention that my Chinese girlfriend cried at the end, though? Truth is stranger than fiction.

I really want to see Falling Down again. I remember I saw it when it was in theaters when I was a kid, it kind of blew my mind and left me really disturbed. I bet I'd think it was a pile of wank now.

Come to think of it, it has a lot in common with Gran Torino, except Gran Torino was funnier. They should make a double feature, "two films that try to be serious and make a point, but are really just about angry white men growling well-worded racial slurs"

lol

The Guard - 3/10 - Almost completely forgettable... it took me coming back to it three times just to finish it and I can barely remember anything about the film. Brendan Gleeson plays a cop that's sarcastic and deadpan and Don Cheadle was somewhere in there too.

The Guard - 3/10 - Almost completely forgettable... it took me coming back to it three times just to finish it and I can barely remember anything about the film. Brendan Gleeson plays a cop that's sarcastic and deadpan and Don Cheadle was somewhere in there too.

Good review, I felt the same way...I sort of liked it, but it seemed very derivative of a lot of better films. Brendan Gleeson defines deadpan in that flick, emphasis on the dead. He's so deadpan it's almost entirely humorless. I used to like Don Cheadle but he's so Don Cheadle. Big watery eyes, kind of wimpy and whiny and that's it. His defining role for me is probably Boogie Nights.

Archived