IGNORED

What media player do you use?

thehauntingsoul

Hey so I have been jumping from mp to mp and have not found anything that is fully-functional.

Windows media player is a fucking joke.

Winamp is pretty cool but the library options can be frustrating and the library browsing is not very intuitive.

iTunes is pretty good for the most part, although its a bit of a processor hog, but I like the visual album covers (not cover flow, just tiles) and the way it auto-creates the albums without the painstaking effort of renaming tracks that are titled some bullshit like:

Arovane and phoenem - atol scrap - 01 atol scrap (Not exact, just an example)

I started using VLC which is my favourite so far. Really streamlined, good design, nice icons, and supports all file formats but the library is bullshit.

what do you use? I need something that will work with my ipod but I hate having like 3 different apps to do the same thing? Also the new version of iTunes fuckin froze up hardcore a few times, needed to permanently get rid of it.

for songs I use winamp (still using windows media player on my laptop though, as I don't want to mess up my playlist yet everytime I play certain songs that I still haven't put in there (laziness))

for films I use windows media player classic with the CCCP codec pack and VLC media player

iTunes runs way to chuggy on a windows machine.

I use Winamp, but I don't bother with the playlists. I have all my mp3's sorted by album on my hard drive, and just hop to that directory and load up what I want to hear at the time.

Although iTunes does have a killer mp3 converter that I use all the time for my song wavs.

Although iTunes does have a killer mp3 converter that I use all the time for my song wavs.

i did this for a while but i just use cool edit now since thats what i do my final master in anyway.

If itunes is a 'processor hog' or 'chuggy' then you better buy yourself a new computer!

(peeks at task manager)

iTunes currently using 84mb/4096mb ram and <1% cpu power..

Not even going by stats, but simply going by usage...

Winamp populates playlists faster, loads faster, switches between songs faster, runs smoother, and doesn't cause slowdown in other programs. iTunes was obviously optimized to be used on a Mac.

Plus, Winamp doesn't ass rape your computer with Quicktime and try to get you to install Safari every 10 minutes.

itunes.

but I hate the constant updates that only ever seem to affect iphones anyway. 'bug fixes' my ass. it was running just fine UNTIL I downloaded your piece of shit update R-TARDS

I use Winamp, but I don't bother with the playlists. I have all my mp3's sorted by album on my hard drive, and just hop to that directory and load up what I want to hear at the time.

this

I'm going through this exact same quandry at the moment. Best I've found is Media Monkey for music - good for a large library and has the album tiles type display. Also seems easier to pick up the correct file information/ metadata.

My housemate is using XBMC for his media; it looks amazing but I know he's been fiddling with it for ages, trying to get it perfect. It's def worth a look though.

On the PC:

Gom Player for video, beats VLC and any other program, guaranteed. If you try it use the 11 Inspirat skin or else.

Winamp, simple and functional but whatever.

XBMC on the old XBOX1 with the DVD remote, if you've never seen it you have no idea how good this is, beats anything else by a long shot. For SD it's the best, for HD I don't know but AppleTV with XBMC seems a popular setup.

Archived