IGNORED

your portable music player of choice

oscillik

My only gripe about the S9 is that it has it's own unique cable, which kinda fucks me off because if you lose it or something else happens, you know you're going to get charged a stupid amount by Cowon.

What's funny is that all the reviews say it's proprietary, but it's actually a standard USB connection for cell phones and small devices in Korea. So if you live in Korea it's actually pretty ordinary.

Not that that helps anyone else. :happy:

But it's amazing how unknown Cowon is. They make incredible stuff but have zero brand recognition. They really need to do some advertising outside of Korea.

Ah, now I didn't know that!

Yeah, a client of mine has a slightly older Cowon and he loves it. They're excellent. To be fair, I think Korea are really producing some excellent shit, electronics wise at least.. iRiver is Korean right? I used to have one of those and I loved it.

How cheap can you get those USB cables over there (your location says South Korea so naturally I assume you live there!)? Because if it isn't too expensive, what are the odds I can paypal you some money to ship me a couple?

Guest Calx Sherbet

you talk about the audio output, do you have a headphone amp?

i just use my ipod because i prefer a big library before music quality when i'm out and about

i like the nano. i have a 4th gen. i love the screens on those

iPod Classic 120gb. I really want to up to a 160gb, but it'll no doubt be superceded again as soon as I do, plus I don't have that sort of cash just now. I just want huge storage so I can carry everything around with me so I don't get stuck with the urge to listen to something on the go that I don't have with me.

AL Hounos would be bale to get you a connector cable for like 5 bucks. I loved the fact that in Korea, no matter where you went, somebody had a cable to charge your phone. I wish Canada could get its shit together like that.

I have an iPod touch 1st generation 16GB. Never had any problems with it except once after a jailbrreak (I've had it jailbroken numerous times).

I wouldn't mind trying out a cowon or an iRiver, but the Touch works really well with OS X.

Cowon S9

IMG_7151.jpg

From what I've read, it's the best sounding PMP out there. It sounds so good through my Sennheisers that I've started looking for a desktop headphone amp because listening on my laptop through my (unamped) DAC just doesn't sound good anymore by comparison.

It also has the best screen (AMOLED) on the market. Basically it kicks the iPod Touch's ass in the most important areas: sound and video quality.

It also plays FLAC, AVI, pretty much anything, and its UI source code is public so there's tons of user-made UIs out there. super customizable.

Seconded, although I've got the smaller iAudio 7, it also supports flac and according to Cowon the battery can last up to ~30hours. I dont know how long mine really plays with flac etc, but I lasts at least a few weeks. I've bought mine because of the high sound quality too.

ipod touch that came free with my laptop. Before that I had an iRiver, it was a pretty decent little fellow. Passed it on to a friend and it still works great. I mostly keep the ipod around because of it's size and wifi access.

my girlfriend's old ipod nano; i'm not picky, great interface, too poor to buy a new ipod or other mp3 player.

creative nomad jukebox zen xtra 60gb

i am amazed these still work

I had an old Cowon iAudio M3, which I liked a lot. But the build quality was questionable. Went through 3 docking stations/connectors and 3 remotes in just over 2 years.

The sound output on iPods is obviously affected by the quality of your headphones. If you're using something with good isolation and bass response, I really can't notice the difference on the go (of course I have hearing damage and tinitis so..). But seriously apple makes a quality product, I just wish the iPhone battery would last long goddammitt!

ipod 80gb. It does the deed; holds everything. I find the iTouches quite annoying and pointless.

With the RCA cable it becomes a portable tv player when i'm on the go or at a mates house. In lossless and HD280s the sound quality is fine. Don't need much else from a portable player.

Edited by dr lopez

Guest covenant

iPOD Photo 60Gb here. I've changed it's battery 2 times, had a refurbished logic board, it has hit the ground so many times I can't remember and it's back case is broken. But it keeps playing and I will not part with it.

It's the only portable audio player that I can do everything without taking it out of the pocket and without even looking at it.

I use a combination of my sony mini disc player, creative zen stone, creative zen Vision: M, and sometimes my PSP, Cell, or DSi.

lol wtf? are they all too weak to be used as your sole player, or do you just use more than one normally?

I use a combination of my sony mini disc player, creative zen stone, creative zen Vision: M, and sometimes my PSP, Cell, or DSi.

lol wtf? are they all too weak to be used as your sole player, or do you just use more than one normally?

I suck at charging things, so I have backups.

Never -er with 'more'.

raven.gif

I had an RCA Opal with 8G for a year or two, it wasn't as impressive as the player in the OP, just an audiobook function, video screen, picture folder, and basic recording ability. It was the first mp3 player I ever had, and it got stepped on beyond repair eventually. Turns out plastic isn't indestructible.

I had an old Cowon iAudio M3, which I liked a lot. But the build quality was questionable. Went through 3 docking stations/connectors and 3 remotes in just over 2 years.

Yeah, I love the functionality, sound, and almost everything about a Cowon except the durability. I had a G3 and a 7 in succession, and each died when the play button failed prematurely. As cool as they are I can't bring myself to get another one.

I hope my zen xfi breaks soon so I can buy that Cowon S9 without feeling guilty.

Same... Ive been waiting for my zen vision M to die for the longest time so I can upgrade. I have the 32gb S9 along with some Grago SR80i's sitting in my wishlist when the day comes.

The sound output on iPods is obviously affected by the quality of your headphones. If you're using something with good isolation and bass response, I really can't notice the difference on the go (of course I have hearing damage and tinitis so..). But seriously apple makes a quality product, I just wish the iPhone battery would last long goddammitt!

couldn't disagree with you more there, i'm afraid. of course my opinion is subjective, as is yours.

and i have always used good quality headphones.

ipod/they don't sell anything else here

what? you're trying to tell me that the only mp3 player you can buy in Oz is an iPod? surely not...

pretty much, for anything over 100g anyway. I went looking everywhere for something else but gave up eventually. I could have grabbed something off ebay if I really wanted but I'm moderately happy with my ipod, even if it doesn't display the correct cover art for any song.

how does it not display the correct cover art?

Guest Al Hounos

I hope my zen xfi breaks soon so I can buy that Cowon S9 without feeling guilty.

Same... Ive been waiting for my zen vision M to die for the longest time so I can upgrade. I have the 32gb S9 along with some Grago SR80i's sitting in my wishlist when the day comes.

My Creative Zen V+ is still working fine. I just got tired of having only 8gb, a tiny screen that's too dim to read outside, and mediocre sound quality. I've got my first full-time job, I'm rich as fuck. 330,000won aint nothin to me. :music:

Obel, if you REALLY need a cable, I can probably send you one, but maybe just wait until you lose the one you've got. :happy: