IGNORED

Apple's iPad

Rubin Farr

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am in love with it and am drooling in anticipation at being able to buy one. I want to fondle it and lick it.

- Stephen Fry

I mean, that's fair enough. Stephen Fry likes it. But is anyone else becoming a little bored of Stephen Fry? Why does his opinion matter on this? Fuck the BBC.

so what happens when touchscreen laptops come out with open source Google OS? these things will not be needed ( wouldn't think?).

i see some great potential here if the pad could run Logic pro or Ableton live, being able to touch instead of click with a mouse to use a program like this would be very pleasurable.

you'd be surprised. even on my 12.1" touchscreen/tablet pc i find most programs pretty damn unusable through touch for several reasons. Firstly its just slow and cumbersome compared to using a mouse/trackpad, especially on a 9-some inch screen, you're going to be poking a whole lot of things you didnt want to. Secondly you NEED keyboard shortcuts (pause, play, undo,). On programs like flash/photoshop with most buttons/tools onscreen and customizable interfaces its a different story, but with music making DAWs youre losing griploads of functionality, at the very least you need assignable buttons on the touchscreen. It could be useful for performance as a secondary interface lemur-style, but forget about using it to make music in a fully-featured DAW. There really is no substitute for a mouse and keyboard.

yeah you make a good point, the more i think about it the more the whole touch screen craze going right now seems like a fad. See i was getting sucked into the hype! i didn't even logically think of the cumbersome nature of trying to use a sequencer with a touch screen.

are touch screens more useful or productive in some way than a mouse/touchpad keyboard based computer? i can't imagine a situation where they would be, except in like a packed train where you can't sit down. if you're japanese it's probably very convenient

it's very interesting those who cannot find any fault in this product whatsoever, it's like the millisecond apple announced it their brain already hard wired the decision to buy it and all subsequent talk about it is a game of mental gymnastics

Well, I don't think I'd want to use just a touch screen 24/7 but as far as building a performance system, a touch screen would be great.

So no, the iPad isn't the end all... But it's a move into making touchscreens a cheap reality in the computer world.... And that really excites me.

Would I buy an ipad? Sure if I had cash to blow ( I sure as hell don't) because it would be fun to use. I like technology. This is the kind

of stuff you'd dream about as a

kid... And it's happening. You can wait for it to be perfected or you can have fun along the way, as it evolves.

Guest we_kill_soapscum

Well, I don't think I'd want to use just a touch screen 24/7 but as far as building a performance system, a touch screen would be great.

So no, the iPad isn't the end all... But it's a move into making touchscreens a cheap reality in the computer world.... And that really excites me.

Would I buy an ipad? Sure if I had cash to blow ( I sure as hell don't) because it would be fun to use. I like technology. This is the kind

of stuff you'd dream about as a

kid... And it's happening. You can wait for it to be perfected or you can have fun along the way, as it evolves.

this is the one point the (imho correct) critics miss. if i had unlimited funds i'd still get one just to fuck w/it cuz it'd be fun!!, even tho its totally shitty (i think watmm has made its failures very clear at this point along w/that gizmodo article).

Yeah, exactly. I'm aware it's

just a big iPhone... But my iPhone is fun! I want a big one... And I can work on stuff on the ipad too (iLife etc) play games, watch movies.

It's an entertainment device. In that regard... It succeeds... It's entertaining.

Yeah, exactly. I'm aware it's

just a big iPhone... But my iPhone is fun! I want a big one... And I can work on stuff on the ipad too (iLife etc) play games, watch movies.

It's an entertainment device. In that regard... It succeeds... It's entertaining.

you're right. i was expecting something that would potentially replace the laptop in the future. i guess it's not time for that sort of stuff yet.

simple wire vs. jittery, hardly working wireless connection that either has to recharge over and over until it dies or needs batteries until it and my bank account dies.

wire wins.

Guest Glass Plate

On the topic of touchscreens my brother has had a 21" wacom centiq for like 6 years or something now, and it's really not that great at all except for drawing on the screen but even that is sometimes incredibly awkward.

it'll work great when paramilitary police have tricked out versions with scanners that can read information of your microchip and give you a supernewton/scaled-down-computer of which they can gauge your entire lifeforce on one screen, without having to lug around a whole fucking laptop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_distortion_field

or better yet

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Reality_Distortion_Field

On the topic of touchscreens my brother has had a 21" wacom centiq for like 6 years or something now, and it's really not that great at all except for drawing on the screen but even that is sometimes incredibly awkward.

The Cintiq is seriously expensive, the positive aspect is of course you're able to draw on screen and is pressure sensitive.

The Cintiq is seriously expensive, the positive aspect is of course you're able to draw on screen and is pressure sensitive.

technology marches on

as something for hax, this sort of thing is hella cheaper

It's now at the online Apple Store!

$400 for an Mp3 Player!

I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional.

Uuhh Steve, can I have a PDA now?

:lol:

Archived