IGNORED

Impressions of Oversteps on Vinyl

Guest Miblo

Guest Miblo

was this thread really necessary? let's ask ourselves, was it really worth making a thread to tell us how oversteps sounds on vinyl? that's just pitchfork wankery in action.

My motivation was that I thought the arrival of the Vinyl was a landmark worthy of its own thread, as that of the official digital media evidently was considered to be. I know I started it all, so I have that intimate parent-child relationship with it, but I think the thread is worthwhile enough to merit the question, 'Is it really worth making a forum to discuss music?'

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[...] our only vinyl player is deep in storage right now [...]

Well that was going to be my next question. Yeah, I'd say get yourself a very affordable turntable so you can at least listen to your records, and then save up possibly for a middle-of-the-range one before going right up there for a seriously audiophile setup, taking into consideration amps, pre-amps and cabling, as well as, of course, the turntable, tonearm and cartridge (have I missed anything?). I'm possibly going to go for a middle-ish turntable - maybe in the region of £600, but I couldn't swear to that, and may go for something cheaper just to free up the space in my room (2xAll-in-one, remember) - and then sort out the rest of my setup with separates.

[Pre-emptive edit] In fact, from where the hell have I got £600? I was always thinking of something like the Pro-Ject Debut III retailing here at £169.95. Perhaps this was the very affordable one, and then the £600 would be for the middle-of-the-range one. Either way I'm obviously knackered and must sleep.

Once I get a job and some excess cash, I'll get to getting a set-up and maybe some equipment. haha :cisfor:

Sorry for the double post, but I can't edit.

This is what my dad has in storage:

Dual 1228 Turntable

1228r.jpg

Specs

His stylus is a shure m91ed diamond-tip stylus.

*shrug*

I do not remember what the speakers are, but there's some whole system.

Sorry for the double post, but I can't edit.

This is what my dad has in storage:

Dual 1228 Turntable

1228r.jpg

Specs

His stylus is a shure m91ed diamond-tip stylus.

*shrug*

looks exactly like my roomies... old school, lots of open wires and shit underneath right?

my impression of the vinyl so far, some of the tracks sound far better on vinyl like Yuop & krYlon. but most of them sound a little better on CD mostly because of all the glittery high end on songs like Known(1) and Redfall.

looks exactly like my roomies... old school, lots of open wires and shit underneath right?

No clue, I haven't seen it for a good 6 years. It's in storage right now so I can't check or use it. My dad said when we move (he plans to move into a small house this summer) that we'll "HAVE A HOOTENANY!" and he'll break out all his old records.

my impression of the vinyl so far, some of the tracks sound far better on vinyl like Yuop & krYlon. but most of them sound a little better on CD mostly because of all the glittery high end on songs like Known(1) and Redfall.

so the glittery hi-ends don't sound good on the vinyl? are they muddled by the medium? where is the limitation? is it the record, or your record player?

was this thread really necessary? let's ask ourselves, was it really worth making a thread to tell us how oversteps sounds on vinyl? that's just pitchfork wankery in action.

Agreed, but it was somewhat worth it for being able to watch Xyrofen fumble his first ever record.

Guest Greg Reason

People on the Black Dog forum are saying how much nicer it sounds than the wavs, how they feel like it was made with the vinyl in mind rather than the digital versions... So I guess there is a point to the thread, even if it's all subjective

I haven't even gotten mine in the mail yet so I'll be able to speak out my own ass soon enough :)

Guest Miblo

People on the Black Dog forum are saying how much nicer it sounds than the wavs, how they feel like it was made with the vinyl in mind rather than the digital versions... [...]

Oh, I'll have to mosey on over to this Black Dog forum.

i got it today!! holy crap, such elaborate packaging. sleeves within sleeves!

and it's a good thing the packaging is nice and thick, because there's a dent on one corner and one side, pah! i don't intend to re-sell this any time soon though so as long as it plays ok then all is good!

sleeves on sleeves?

:emotawesomepm9:

so the glittery hi-ends don't sound good on the vinyl? are they muddled by the medium? where is the limitation? is it the record, or your record player?

i think the same about the hi-ends, treble sounds. minus we r are why, i've been listening to autechre on cd only for 12 years, so that might explain the difference in sound. but that vinyl set is great. maybe its a placebo thing but the oversteps "hq wav files" sounds fantastic.

Guest Miblo

Hmm... I couldn't thank you enough, barbara. I did find my way to this site, but wasn't certain that it was the right one. Bit arduous to navigate, but I believe this is the post to which Greg Reason was referring, for any interested parties. The discussion didn't take root, though.

I wasn't impressed that Warp didn't see fit to use proper inner sleeves for this LP - the card inners are quite unkind to the vinyl inside, I would have liked to have seen polysleeves for such a deluxe package. My copy looks slightly scuffed, especially at the edges and there is too much surface noise, especially on my favourite side, B, where there is loud, persistent noise on the left channel for about the first 2 minutes. Maybe I got a copy from the arse end of the pressing run, I dunno, or maybe cleaning them will help, but the 24 bit wavs sound quite a bit better to me which is, I guess, to be expected as the digital version has been mastered well, no brickwalling or other bullshit. They definitely pulled the stereo image in a bit for the vinyl, and it just sounds more gritty and confused. Not one of the best pressings I've heard recently.

there is too much surface noise, especially on my favourite side, B, where there is loud, persistent noise on the left channel for about the first 2 minutes.

I haven't picked up a copy yet so can't check, but that sounds like it could possibly be a set up issue like tracking weight. Having said that Warp are hardly known for their decent pressings.

there is too much surface noise, especially on my favourite side, B, where there is loud, persistent noise on the left channel for about the first 2 minutes.

I haven't picked up a copy yet so can't check, but that sounds like it could possibly be a set up issue like tracking weight. Having said that Warp are hardly known for their decent pressings.

well after listening to a lot of autechre on vinyl on the same turntable here is how i would rate the pressings /pleasure in audio quality.

1. Quaristice

2. Untilted

3. Draft 7.30

4. Chiastic Slide

5. Oversteps

6. Peel Sessions 2

a little disappointed by the mastering and bass and i was getting noticeably more surface noise

Guest Miblo

well after listening to a lot of autechre on vinyl on the same turntable here is how i would rate the pressings /pleasure in audio quality.

1. Quaristice

2. Untilted

3. Draft 7.30

4. Chiastic Slide

5. Oversteps

6. Peel Sessions 2

a little disappointed by the mastering and bass and i was getting noticeably more surface noise

Phew, all those of Vinyl! I only have Incunabula, Quaristice and Oversteps, but haven't yet sorted them into preference. However, it may be a pointless exercise because my setup isn't up to scratch. I'd love to get my hands on Draft 7.30, though, if only for 'V-PROC' at 1:27.5.

confield, lp5 and amber are all absolutely gorgeous on vinyl. oversteps is a bit hit and miss for me, tracks like see on see kinda suffer without that crystal clean glistening high end, but treale, O=0, d-sho qub and yuop are absolutely ridiculous, and will get better as the vinyl ages imo. i even quite like the abrupt ending of d-sho qub!

also i think i'm gonna play os veix3 at 45 every time i listen to it, from now on.

1. Quaristice

2. Untilted

3. Draft 7.30

4. Chiastic Slide

5. Oversteps

6. Peel Sessions 2

Let's not forget the double 12" series - I have ep7, cichlisuite and envane, and they are all fantastic cuts. Envane in particular, probably the best sounding electronic cut I've come across, and super quiet vinyl. Admittedly Oversteps is quite a bit longer per side, so not a very fair comparison.

Phew, all those of Vinyl! I only have Incunabula, Quaristice and Oversteps, but haven't yet sorted them into preference. However, it may be a pointless exercise because my setup isn't up to scratch. I'd love to get my hands on Draft 7.30, though, if only for 'V-PROC' at 1:27.5.

I've got a spare unplayed copy, yours for (paypal) £10 + £3 postage guvnor

Archived